New User
Kylie51
0 Kudos

Re: Stuck at loading 99% won't boot up

This can't be true because I have the same problem and never installed any other memory disk; I usually store everything,on cloud; original nook as given to me by barnes and noble store, but then here six months later I'm having the 99% problem. So can't be any additional memory disk you've added.

New User
DJG500
0 Kudos

I have just had this problem for the 2nd time, and it will be the 3rd time since the operating system update that I will have to do a hard reset.  I never had this type of problem under the "old" OS - it was less versatile but it didn't render itself unusable like what's happening now.  I'm resigned to do another hard reset, but I'm getting sick of this Nook HD issue.  Anybody have any insight has to what is causing this chronic problem?  Anyway to go back to the "old" Nook operating system?  I think I'd be willing to give up many of the new apps just to have the Nook HD perform the functions I bought it for reliably.

Contributor
lauraqs
0 Kudos

Ever since I took off the security to login every time, I stopped having problems. For me it did this when I swapped between profiles. I run two, one for me and one for my daughter. I also saw that Google Earth was super buggy so I stopped installing that app.
New User
nooked77
0 Kudos

I JUST bought this for my son for his birthday.  My son has autism.  I decided to make sure it was charged before I put it back into the box to wrap it and now its stuck on 99 and wont do a damn thing.  I guess I am taking this peace of crap back to the store.  Can you imagine how my son with autism will flip out if this happens as often as you all are saying.  Now I know why everyone told me to get a kindle.

New User
TJCule
0 Kudos

This has happened a handful of times on my Nook HD+ too, and it seems to be related to trying to manage multiple profiles on one device.  It's been locking up when I switch it to my son's profile, and the only work-around is to do a factory reset (URF!).  I've decided to delete his profile completely, and just turn off the wi-fi when I hand it to him.  And now I'm saving up to buy a real android device, and then my son can keep this Nook.

New User
cmclawhorn77
0 Kudos

This will be the second time I have had it frozen at 99%. It has happened both time when I was switching profiles and when I wasn't connected to wifi. So I am wondering if that is it? But who knows it is just time consuming to reset and have to reload everything all over again! UGH! Hope they fix this soon!

Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

Ugh...my 2nd Nook 32GB HD+ to have it do this. I'm convinced that it has something to do with profiles and that the microSD card (as they told me in the store) plays some role in the problem. I'm just not certain how/why.

In my case, as before, my son turned my Nook HD+ on, switched to his profile and the Nook went dead.

Here's where the MicroSD card comes in....once your HD+ dies like this, it will NOT turn on/reboot or do anything until the microSD card is removed. However, it will now only boot to the 99% screen and hang.

Off to the store later today or tomorrow.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi EasyAs123,

This error was addressed in our latest update. If possible, try manually updating via our NOOK support page here.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So there is another update from the update that I just installed last week? Off to check your link.

Yup...already installed. :smileysad: While I'm capable of doing a factory reset, I would rather have them do it in the store. Last time the clerk got so frustrated they just handed me a new one. If I've got to start all over, I might as well start with a clean slate.

BN_AlexG wrote:

Hi EasyAs123,

This error was addressed in our latest update. If possible, try manually updating via our NOOK support page here.

- Alex

New User
Mishmosh
0 Kudos

It is impossible to do a manual update of the version while it is stuck on 99%.
What a useless solution.
Any other suggestions?

Reader
toimadness
0 Kudos

I did the update a few days ago and today it got stuck at 99% again. I hate doing resets. But I don't see any other options. This will be my 3rd time reset in because of this problem. I love my nook but this is becoming a real pain.
Contributor
kmm76
0 Kudos

I've had our HD+ for almost a month and everything has been fine until last night when my daughter was playing games and it kept shutting off by itself. It had already downloaded the 2.1.1 update a couple weeks ago, and I do not use a memory card in it.

She was playing it while it was plugged in and charging. I took it to reboot it and it felt really hot in the bottom corner, much warmer than it usually gets during use. I rebooted it and then swiped to open my profile, and it froze right there with my avatar sitting on the 'lock'. So I shut it down by holding the power button. When I rebooted it, it got stuck at 99%, and has done the same thing with each reboot attempt. This morning it has been stuck on 99% for over 2 hours.

Could someone please tell me how to do a factory reset because there seems to be some confusion here. One person said hold down the power and home buttons for a minute, then another person said that's not a factory reset. Hopefully someone at the store can help me out tonight.

BN_Rick
0 Kudos

Completley power off the NOOK then press the "n" (home button) during power on. This should get it unstuck. If it doesn't work, drain the battery and once completely drained, charge your device and power on. The battery should drain quicker than usual due to the 99% screen being active.

CS Tips
Contributor
kmm76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That worked (the first part, not the battery drain part)! Thank you Rick_X! Only bummed that now I have to re-register and all the Google Play games I bought will be gone.

So do we know yet why this happens and what to avoid in the future so it won't happen again??

New User
lisa71lisa
0 Kudos

I had have the exact same issue except mine started sometime last night after I gave up trying to watch netflix as my nook hd+ decided to sync my library over and over for hours. I put it down (not on the charger) and when I picked it up it was stuck at 99%. I am unsure why it decided to shut down by itself and then try to reboot itself....wifi was off so it couldnt be getting updates. I tried everything that is listed in all the posts to no avail. This is my 3rd nook and my last 2 only had issues with the chargers and the mini usb hub they plugged into. I am beginning to think maybe opening the nook up to google play apps may not be so good.
BN_Andy
0 Kudos

Lisa, we're sorry that your device is still stuck on the 99% loading screen. You may want to try a Hard Reset. The following procedure details how to perform a NOOK HD/NOOK HD+ factory reset. A factory reset will deregister your device, removing all digital books and files, including side-loaded content. The titles you have purchased will remain in your account.
NOTE: It is recommended that all side-loaded content you wish to save is backed up to an SD card or computer before proceeding.
To Hard Reset NOOK HD:
1. Confirm the device is powered off.
2. Hold the Power and Home key simultaneously.
3. Release the Power and Home key once the NOOK logo appears.
A Factory Reset prompt will appear.
4. To continue, press the Home key.
5. To exit, press the Power key.

New User
aedelbert
0 Kudos

There is a dialogue box that pops up when you press the two buttons together. It tells you it's a factory reset.

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kmm76 wrote:

Only bummed that now I have to re-register and all the Google Play games I bought will be gone.

Hopefully you figured it out but you do not lose anything from Google Play, purchased or free, when doing a reset.  Assuming you use the same Google account they will all be listed under downloads (down arrow).  You'll have to reinstall them but that should be quick. 

On a similar vein if you use the same Google account you can use the apps on another device without having to repurchase them. 

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

I think that you do lose game progress.....

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

AlbionRose wrote:

I think that you do lose game progress.....

Yes that is true.  kmm76 seemed to think he would lose the games themselves though.  Hopefully they figured out that wasn't true.