New User
BrendinAilles
0 Kudos

Re: Stuck at loading 99% won't boot up

Hey all, I just performed the initial queues for the factory reset but the Nook is stuck at 99% immediately after the reset. Any suggestions? I remain doubtful given that this problem has persisted for so long among so many users.

New User
sybob1999
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice.

My nook would not reboot, after pressing both keys...

it would still get stuck on the 99%.

I did the factory reset, and seems to work fine.

Is B&N looking to make a fix for this bug soon?

New User
AKtwinMom
0 Kudos

I am having this issue with one of the kids Nooks and it has never had a memory card put in it! Not real happy at the moment and hope that I didn't waste nearly $800 getting these to help with homeschool.

Frequent Contributor
Aristotelian
0 Kudos

Just adding myself to the list of people having this issue. Brand new Nook HD+ (replacement for defective device). Issue happened after charging overnight. Put the device to sleep and could not reboot about 1 hour later. Just did factory reset. Battery is at 63% which is weird since it should have been close to fully charged.
New User
fae12
0 Kudos

This is the problem I am having too. :smileyfrustrated:

New User
tfox98
0 Kudos

I just exchanged my 2nd Nook the other day, so I am on my 3rd one since Aug. cause it was doing the same things. I have had it a week and it is now doing the same thing... I have no memory card in it either. Not happy, cause I love it otherwise!!

Contributor
kmm76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am CONVINCED that the cause of this is installing games or a game from the Google Play store.

I tried an experiment. Back in August I had this issue (I posted here on page 2 - however the solution I got from Rick_X is not working this time), and had done a factory reset a couple of times. So on September 10 I took the crippled thing to the store and they replaced it with a brand new one (HD+). I have been really happy with it...until this morning, 6 weeks later.

My experiment was to go for a while without installing a single game from Google Play to test whether I would have any problems. My daughter likes Paint Joy and Temple Run especially and had been begging me to install them. But I refused, and from Sept 10 until today, the Nook was great, with no problems at all!

Well, last night I finally caved in to her pleas for games, and downloaded Temple Run and the Hobbit game. And what do I wake up to this morning but the stuck at 99% problem!!! First time.

I was satisfied to have proven my theory but I'm also really pissed!! I shouldn't have installed those games. Now I have to factory reset or take it back to the store and hopefully they'll replace it again.

Can anyone testify to this or is it simply that only 6 weeks went by since I got the new one and it was bound to happen?? 

I charged it overnight, last night it was completely drained, and it got stuck at 99% this morning upon powering up.

Contributor
kmm76
0 Kudos

I should mention that I never put a memory card in my first or second Nook. And I did it wrong, the solution by Rick_X for factory reset (holding the home (n) button down during power-up) does work after doing it a second time correctly.
Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

I have had my HD+ since last Dec. and have neve had a problem, so I don't think it is the 6 week plan. But when Google Play store and all the google apps and stuff came on I never installed anything, mainly because I just don't like Google, so I think the Google games may be your problem.

Contributor
kmm76
0 Kudos

Thank you for that eaglewoman. I did the factory reset and the games are no longer on it, so we'll see how it does without them...I absolutely refuse to install anything from the Google Play store again. Sooooo annoyed.
Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

I have some Google apps, but have not had this problem (knock on wood). But the only games I have are WWF, Angry Birds, Solitaire, and that type, none of the graphic intensive games. Don't know if that matters. The back of the device does get warm if I play games, moreso than if I'm just reading or surfing. Have you noticed warmth when the 99% thing happens?
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Do you have more than one account on the HD+?

There were some suggestions that the issue may be associated with multiple accounts. I only have one account and have several hi graphic games from google play store - Nuns on the Run, Cut the Rope, Beach Buggy Blitz- and my HD+ copes just fine.

I hope that you find an answer to this that doesn't involve wiping the device.

Contributor
ragamufin
0 Kudos

got the same problem. bought nook hd on halloween and played with it about 5 to 6 times. its a xmas gift for my son, so been just learning and putting a few apps. heres what i did before the problem happend, as i can remember. created two accounts after updating, then made my account to ask for password before all purchases, loaded free apps-pbs, descpicable me game, cleaner, etc.all was good until yesterday. loaded two movies on just to see quality, which was converted by dvd catalyst. then downloaded dvd catalyst movie gallery so i can put the movie poster on the file. played and stopped the two movies just to see quality, which was good. then after stopping movie i went to the accounts to tap on my sons account to see if the movies showed up there, but instead the screen went back to the begining of the last movie i played and froze. i turned it off and then on again, thats when it got stuck at 99%. did the reboot-holding nook button and power button to turn off, and i didnt get a chance to turn it on yet. and i never loaded a sd card in it yet. i'll try to update later. i can hardly get to play with it since my son is usually always at home with me.

Contributor
ragamufin
0 Kudos

one more thing I remembered. after closing the movie I noticed google was updating some stuff, so I tapped on the update sign area and all the google apps showed. I canceled the updating then went into each apps setting to stop auto updating.
New User
Kt4048
0 Kudos

This should be fixed now.  When you factory restart, connect to the internet, and a critical system update will apply itself.  From what I've read elsewhere, this is the fix for the 99% issue.

New User
Mishmosh
0 Kudos

This problem is not fixed now. I installed the critical update and have once again had the 99% problem.

New User
Slapjack
0 Kudos

I now have this 99% problem as of today, Nov 20, and since it was in a leather cover I never noticed the hot corner until I read a post about it, then I removed the nook from the cover and noticed the lower left corner was hot, way hotter than is good for it but not hot enough to burn my hand. I've had this device since November 2012 so it's not related to recent purchases. I don't have profiles and don't have any games on it except simple card games. This started for me when I opened an Adobe pdf file, the file took forever to load and even then only loaded on page at a time. So I powered it off thinking the pdf file was hung up, when I turned it back on it went to the 99% mark. The pdf file was on the microSD card, but I doubt that caused the problem. Haven't tried a factory reset yet. Hope to find a better solution than losing all my sideloaded files.

Contributor
kmm76
0 Kudos

Since doing the factory reset 4 weeks ago I have not installed any games and am happy to report that I have not had the 99% problem again. It's either Temple Run or Paint Joy, or both, that the two nooks I've had don't like for some reason. So unfortunately, can't use Google Play anymore. I don't want to risk it. And yes, there was always excessive heat when playing the games. Both tablets (the first one I had to return to the store) got unnaturally hot in the corner.

Contributor
kmm76
0 Kudos

I've always had 2 accounts on it, mine and my daughter's, so that can't be the problem (at least for this tablet) since it still does and has been fine.
Reader
AZGalCC
0 Kudos

I don't even have any san disk in and still have the same problem