Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

The Future of Nook Devices and a Question

I have the HD plus, and am very pleased with it.   But with what we see going on in the marketplace, it is very possible that at some point there will be no Nook devices, just the Nook software.

Does anyone know, does Nook for Android and Nook for IPad only work if you have Wifi access?   There is quite limited Wifi access away from home in my area.   I am afraid that Nook will stop making tablets, and I will only be able to access my Nook library through someone's cloud.  I would hate to be in that situation, as I have a huge library on my Nook, and would not want to be in a situation where I cannot have it locally stored.  Thoughts?

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Re: The Future of Nook Devices and a Question

This is a legitimate question, I often wonder what will happen with this product and the fate of our libraries. Customer service has already gone to the dogs, so what will happen if the Nook isn't around anymore?!
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal

I have the same library on my android phone using the Nook reading app that I do on my HD+. I bought the books. They're mine. As long as you can load the Nook reading app on your device, you have your library and that includes phone, android tablets, PC/Mac/Linux systems...The Nook reading app was around long before their ereaders.

And if you root off an SD card like I did my HD+, I use the reading app rather than the HD+s reader. The app is a nicer interface I think.

But no, your library is yours regardless.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

[ Edited ]

Nook may be on shaky ground, but here is why I think you don't need to worry:

If you look at any of the articles last February talking about the poor Q3 2013 numbers, there was mention of less focus on hardware, not of abandoning hardware altogether.

But the media likes sensationalism, so they're going to give you nothing but doom and gloom.  What's interesting is that the media is now complaining about the very thing they've been telling B&N to do for the past few years.  What do I mean?  The Nooks have always received high marks in hardware, it's the one thing on which they all agree.  The negatives are always pointed out as being software and content, especially the app store.  So, now that B&N says they are going to shift the focus (and they are, in-app purchasing is coming, they say international expansion is still on track, they're still signing deals with movie studios) the same journalists are now shouting that the sky is falling.  Even though this is what they suggested B&N get to in the first place.

Once again, B&N (or is it Nook Media?) has some work ahead of it.  the tech media have been saying for the last 3 or 4 years That B&N will be dead "next year".  But it's not, and it's still chugging along and with a cash balance, you know, the thing Amazon doesn't have but Bezos is somehow allowed to get away with.   Sure Wall Street maybe on edge, but the device itself is still popular enough to be mentioned in just about every tablet article (Apple > Google > Amazon > B&N).

My 2 cents... or 3

(also yes, to your other question, you can download the nookbooks directly to your apps on both iOS and Android)

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What WallaceGal and Schwa wrote.

to be on the safe side

1) Get Nook for PC and download ALL your books to it.

2) Make a backup copy of your books.

3) Get Calibre. In the unlikely event that things go really bad for Nook, you'll need Calibre.

4) Test out Nook for PC and Nook for iPad and see if they work without WiFi.

For me they work without WiFi. However, I've seen reports recently (unverified) that some ereader app companies are moving to WiFi being needed.

Plus I saw this with kindle for Windows 8.

So, unless you have a backup of EACH of your books on your PC and one other place like a flash drive or external hard drive, it isn't safe.

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

5ivedom, I have nook pc and Nook for Ipad. When you say download all your books to your pc, are you saying to unarchive/open every book. I would like to start securing my library.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Yes, when you open Nook for PC, there is a option to download your book.  You want to do this for all your unarchived and archived books. (Using Nook for PC is easier than downloading thru the MyNook account page. Nook for PC will download with the titles; MyNook uses numbers (isbn?) Then just get in the habit of downloading new purchases. 

As far as the question, do Nook for iPad or Nook for Android work without wifi. As long as you have downloaded your books to either, and dont sign out, yes they work without wifi. If your android device has an sd card slot, you can copy over your lbrary as well (calibre if you prefer.) And there are also several other reading apps on Android that can read the B&N drm. (For the latter, it does use the credit card number at the time of download. So should you change cc numbers, you want to keep a copy of yhe number.)

FWIW, agree with Schwa. Yeah, hardware sales were down. But there are still a lot of working NC's out there.Not everyone feels compelled to get the newest device just because its being offered.And B&N content sales had actually increased last quarter.

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

Since B&N has supposedly shifted there focus from hardware does that mean little to no future sustem software updates? Been a while and there are still issues to be corrected.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Claimdude wrote:

Since B&N has supposedly shifted there focus from hardware does that mean little to no future sustem software updates? Been a while and there are still issues to be corrected.

Software =/= hardware. For past Nook releases there's usually a few patches shortly after and then a couple major content releases with about 4 month intervals after that.  So this schedule is not necessary "late" so far with the HDs.

Also, to add to my previous post.  There's still the upcoming release of Nook Video to the other appstores.  And hopefully released to Nook Tablet and maybe Nook Color.  Nook Video is missing the large majority of current Nook customers by not being on those 2 platforms.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Microsoft made nearly as much in profit (extra cash in the bank) last quarter than BN did in sales (raw dollars sold) for the entire fiscal year.

Microsoft owns 17% of NOOK.

Seriously, there's nothing to worry about. If BN divest itself from NOOK (which is still a terrible idea), there's a great chance that Microsoft will keep the platform running - they need an answer to Amazon, Apple, and Google's ecosystem.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) 2noelle - Yes, unarchive and open every book. NookGardener has given the details very well.

ALSO - find the folder where books are kept and copy all of them and paste to a separate folder on your PC.

2) FlyingToastr - That's a good point.

Microsoft definitely would want to snap up Nook if it got the option. I don't see  why it would turn down the chance to add to its Tablet arsenal.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

I don't see that anyone answered your question about the wifi access. My understanding is that your device will download the books and you will only need wifi to sync the app with your nook. So you should be able to read on your device without the wifi as long as you have downloaded the book while on wifi.
mrskooshie
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

1) 2noelle - Yes, unarchive and open every book. NookGardener has given the details very well.

ALSO - find the folder where books are kept and copy all of them and paste to a separate folder on your PC.

There's no need to unarchive.  In Nook for PC you can access and download all your archived books without unarchiving them.  They're just in a separate "folder" in the application (but they download to the same folder as the other other books on the PC).

Also, there's no need to download Calibre unless you want to (for the oganizational functions), or unless you're switching to kindle, as ADE can read B&N DRM, so there's no need to strip DRM.

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if doing all this is really that easy :smileyhappy:  I'm definitely going to give this a try.