Contributor
karateka
0 Kudos

Re: Top 10 Nook HD and HD+ Issues + Workarounds

Thank you Jeremy, that worked for my first book. However the second book keeps giving me an error message on the nook saying that the book has been returned. It hasn't, and I was able to read a few pages on my desktop.....I deleted from pc and nook 3 times, re downloaded and dragged to nook, still no dice. Any clue?
Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie

Hmm, I have not run into this issue myself. Anyone else?
mrskooshie
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

karateka wrote:
Thank you mrskooshie, I wonder if you know why overdrive would tell me I need to authorize my nook with ADE when I have already done that? t didn't give me an option to enter my ID again, just to get an ID. Tried restarting the nook...no dice. Do I need to reinstall the app?

Overdrive itself needs an ADE authorization regardless of your device ADE. You'll have to go into the Overdrive settings in the app to authorize it. You don't need to reinstall. At the bottom of the screen, there should be a menu icon that will let you go into the settings for Overdrive to set it. If it doesn't take, you may have used up your allotted authorizations, but a quick call to ADE cs will get you some more.

Contributor
karateka
0 Kudos

Thank you compulsive readertx!! You fixed me! I was able to open the book via overdrive and I'm so excited. And my husband figured out the issue with how this community was showing in my browser, so I'm a happy girl.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

karateka wrote:
Thank you compulsive readertx!! You fixed me! I was able to open the book via overdrive and I'm so excited. And my husband figured out the issue with how this community was showing in my browser, so I'm a happy girl.

Glad that worked for you! Enjoy!

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

More Avoiding Ghost files

If the device gets into a loop telling you that there has been an error & please try again, shutting down the device will resolve the loop. Before you reboot from the shut down, take the SD card out of the shut down device, reboot, shut down, put card back in and you should be back to where you were before the looping error and with a single copy of SD card files.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Emails Disappearing

Most email providers have two options for linking up to their email service, POP3 and IMAP.

POP3 will take emails from the Server and place them on your device.

IMAP just shows you what's on the Server without removing it, so you can download the mail to your pc too.

To ensure that you don't lose any emails, set the Nook up using the IMAP protocol from your email provider.  The details should be available on their website or by calling their customer support.

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

It's also important to know that if you set your Nook up with IMAP email and you delete an email from your Nook it also removes it from the server. I like IMAP personally.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the explanation Albion Rose.

POP3 and IMAP.

POP3 will take emails from the Server and place them on your device.

IMAP just shows you what's on the Server without removing it, so you can download the mail to your pc too.

This explains why I never had this issue. I was using IMAP all along. I like it a lot more than the way POP works (according to what you define).

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

This explains why I never had this issue. I was using IMAP all along. I like it a lot more than the way POP works (according to what you define).

Thing is, IMAP requires one to store their mail on the ISP server... ISPs may implement limits on mail storage. It also requires a live network connection to read/write mail. POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) is a store&forward system (named after the concept of having a post office box -- you periodically visit the post office, take out all contents from the box, then go home and read the mail later; POP3 stored message on the ISP, you connect, batch download, disconnect, read at your leisure).

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

If you have rooted your HD device or are using an N2A card, you might be interested in Calibre Companion app. I just did a review for it earlier in this forum. When 5ivedom brought up his app, and then it got shot down for the "open to read" aspect", I went back to my Calibre Companion app and really explored it. Found several great things it does that I LOVE! Not as pretty as a graphic room, but pretty good! It wouldn't let me paste the link but I saw that link button up there and gave it a shot. Hope it works. If not, look for it in the forum.

Calibre Companioin Review

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Although many POP3 email setups default to deleting mail from the server, POP3 does not need to be set up that way.  

If you use the excellent k9 email app, you can set it to poll email via pop3 and not delete off the server.  

Settings

Account Settings

Fetching Mail

When I delete a message - do not delete on server

Sync Server Deletions - remove messages when deleted on server

These settings let me, at least, check mail from my phone and HD+ (via pop3) and webmail (imap) clients, but until I fire up my PC mail stays put (and even then, I control how long mail stays on the server before I choose to delete it.)  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

5ivedom, The wifi on mine is still not working
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Fitbobcat, there's no way to know what post you replied to.

When you say the WiFi on yours still isn't working, please add some more context.

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

Re: Flash

I have a Nook HD+ and if I go to a website that requires Flash and click on the link to Adobe, I get "This content requires Adobe Flash Player, which is not supported by your device." There seems no way around that. I get this in the stock browser, in Dolphin browser, and in Pulse. The same content works fine on my Nook Tablet.

Looking at the Settings, I don't see "Settings>Applications>Browser", I see "All Settings>Applications>Web". Browser is not listed, so Desktop Mode is not available. Am I missing something here? Are these workarounds only for the Nook HD and not the HD+?

Please advise.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Hi Lochnez,

To get to desktop mode, under Web settings, tap advanced on left hand menu. A right hand menu pops up with a tick box for Desktop mode.

For some reason if you go to settings from within the browser it calls settings Browser, but if you go from general settings Nook calls it Web.

:smileyhappy:

lochnez
0 Kudos

AlbionRose: thank your for the response. However, I don't see "Advanced" on the left side of the Settings menu. What I see are Wireless & Bluetooth, General, Applications, Account Settings, Storage Management, and Device Information. My HD+ software version is 2.0.6.

lochnez
0 Kudos

Oops, my bad. I was under the main Settings page, not the Web settings page.Desktop mode is indeed checked, and has been since I first set up the device.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Either the new Dolphin Browser or the new Puffin Browser are supposed to come with flash in-built (one of them, forget which). You'll have to make sure you have the latest version i.e. uninstall your current version. Then get the new one from the store.

Then check.

New User
smile247
0 Kudos

I had the exact same problem.  I was able to drag and drop to get my first ebook from the public library onto my Nook, but the next time I repeated the process and it gave me the error message that the book had already been returned.  I checked the library website and I still had 13 days.  So I tried another book with the same results.

My public library doesn't use Overdrive, it uses Axis 360 so that solution doesn't work for me.