New User
Sluffo
0 Kudos

Re: Top 10 Nook HD and HD+ Issues + Workarounds

I can download the flash installer file from Adobe without a problem. Actually running the program is blocked though.

People who were successful most likely got it when it was still available in the Nook store and it stays on the list after upgrading. I just bought mine yesterday so I missed the chance for that. Google play is always disabling yours because it isn't in the store anymore and is unsupported. Luckily you got it before it was removed so you can still turn it back on.

On a full Android build there is a security portion of the settings that allows you to install programs from outside the Nook/Google universe. That setting has been disabled on the Nook and that's why I can't install the Flash loader from Adobe. If you're rooted then it's not a problem to load external programs.
Contributor
Long2Read
0 Kudos

That explains a lot. I installed flash awhile ago and though I did not technically root I did go to xda forums and install the ability to allow unknown sources.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Since both BN and Play exist on the HD, it seems that it ought to be possible to go to a page (I know Facebook worked for many) and when the "how do you want to deal with this?" question comes up, answer "shop" rather than "play store." 

I don't actually know that, though, since I was one of the folks who was able to get the BN flash installed before the play store was available, and my device has the "unknown sources" patch applied to it now. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Flash is a funny one.

It was initially available as a browser plug in from the USA Nook store, but not the UK Nook store.

A techie friend of mine installed flash onto my HD+ using ADB, and flash worked within the old stock browser but not Dolphin browser from the UK Nook store.

After the 2.1 update I lost the stock browser, but now flash works within Dolphin.  

I thought the Dolphin available from the Playstore had flash built-in and that was why it worked.

Now I'm not so sure!!

New User
anb6708
0 Kudos

I have a question/issue with the profiles on my new Nook HD. I set up a profile for myself and then one for my husband. We have separate Facebook accounts. I am logged into mine on my profile but when he goes into his profile, My facebok is logged in on his. Do we just have on continuously log in and out when switched profiles or is there a way to fix this in a setting or something. Thanks in advance for any and all advice/help!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I don't think Facebook is separate across accounts. You'll have to log in and log out.

I think Facebook links to the main profile.

Frankly, I've not seen too many people trying this with Accounts so I might be wrong.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie

If you are talking about the Facebook linked to your profile so that you can post to your friends from your books.  Yes you would have to log out of Facebook.  If you are talking about the B&N app than I am unsure.  If you are using the Google Play Store app I believe that is linked to the device although I could be wrong.

mrskooshie
Wordsmith
AlbionRose

[ Edited ]

ANB6708,

Did you find a solution for your Facebook issue?

If not, one fix that occurrs to me is maybe if you use a browser facebook page to login to your facebook, and your husband uses the facebook app to login to his... or vice versa.

From what I can tell, they are seperate beasts and that may relieve you both from having to log in and out every time. You would both have access to each others facebook pages, but if that's not an issue this might be a viable work-around for you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's a great solution Albion Rose.

one using app and one using browser means they can stay logged in and no issues.

New User
ARNIE21
0 Kudos

I bought Nook HD+ last night but I was not able to play with it. After charging the device, I set-up my profile and a few minutes later the device hang and went on reboot mode. It got stucked to 99% and never came back up. I read commets from other users who has the same issue with a Nook but there's really no solution except going to the store and get a replacement. Is this common problem for Nook HD?

New User
anb6708
0 Kudos

AlbionRose,

We have been in Florida and had no close wifi so haven't been on here until now!

We hadn't found a solution other than logging in and out each time. Thankfully, hubby doesn't use it much! Will try this... log him in on browser and me on app (using play store Facebook app) and see if we ever have to log out for the other. Thanks so much! :smileyhappy:

Even with this 'issue' I am loving my nook! :smileyhappy: Was Perfect for reading on the road! Not so great at the beach... I forgot to get an anti-glare screen for it before we went! :smileysad: Next time though! :smileyhappy: Lol!

Thanks again all!

New User
anb6708
0 Kudos

AlbionRose... It works! :smileyhappy: Thank you so much! Will be nice not logging in and out all the time! I am not one for remembering my passwords when I most need them! lol! Thanks again!
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Great! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

It seems that the new number one HD / HD+ issue since 2.1 update adding google play / android apps is:

! Your device isn't compatible with this version.

Some apps I use on my android phone that won't allow me to install on my Nook HD are:

Fandango, Swype, Underground Weather, (AVG antivirus - I don't want to buy it on B&N), etc.

We need to know the workaround, first if there is an easy no root work around, if not then pointed to the N2A links.

jm2c

screenshot

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

I just asked a similar question.  In our case I noticed every website I was signed in to remained when my wife went to her profile.  So she would have to log out and then back in to read her email, see her Facebook ,etc.  Or I need to remember to log out because even closing the tabs leaves the accounts signed in when she reopens the site.  Frankly I don't see a lot of benefit from profiles if this is how they work. 

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

As to the flash issue, the latest version of Dolphin Browser just added flash support back in.
New User
greywolf1961
0 Kudos

I had the same problem you described. It just started tonight. I held the power and home buttons down for reboot and was prompted to reset the device. I had to go through the configuration process again, but it seems to be working now.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

As for profiles...

Profiles are rather new and basically just control access to the content on the device (books and applications).

Unfortunately, most applications themselves are written to the "standard" Android concept that application data is stored in a location specific to just that application. The applications don't know about profiles. 

Baron Wulfraed
Reader 4
Louiandme
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:

New User
hwilkes501
0 Kudos

It worked. Thank you, Jeremy!!! Still wish I could download straight from my Nook HD, but this will do.