hwilkes501
0 Kudos

Re: Top 10 Nook HD and HD+ Issues + Workarounds

But check to make sure your library is on the list. Mine wasn't :smileysad:
Contributor
ZombieNinjaGrrl
0 Kudos

That's too bad, I actually liked that app! Hopeful someone in your company can come up with a new one!
New User
George-Alphanian
0 Kudos

The free Puffin browser has a two week trial of Flash, and the $2.99 app has full time Flash.

Reader 4
Shadow_Dragon_SM
0 Kudos

I have had an issue recently and hope someone here can help. I have several videos loaded to the SD card on my Nook HD. I can play some of them with no issues. Others, though, will get 5, 10, maybe fifteen minutes into the video and then stop and give me a message "Sorry, we are unable to play the video at this time". All of these videos were downloaded from the same site in the same format. Any idea as to what might be causing this and how I can fix it. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks.

hpg
Contributor
hpg
0 Kudos

the stock video player cannot play some formats, like AVI. Check on the format of the videos. You can either convert them to a format the player can read, or get a multiformat player from the play store, like MX player. I beleive it is free although it displays a few very unobtrusive ads.

Reader 4
Shadow_Dragon_SM
0 Kudos

It is not that the videos refuse to play. They start playing perfectly fine and then in the middle of playing the video, it will stop and display the "Sorry, unable to play video" message. It is my understanding that if it was in the wrong format, it would refuse to play the video at all.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

It's still worth trying a different player, though.  You may find one that is less picky. 

MX doesn't play ads during video playback and supports more filetypes than the BN video player did. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

That "sorry, we are unable to play the video at this time" message is what typically comes up when one is streaming a video and the internect connection is too slow, or the B&N server has glitches. 

Are you sure the movie got fully downloaded?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Reader 4
Shadow_Dragon_SM
0 Kudos

Yes, I am sure that the video fully downloaded. I will try MX and see what happens. Thanks guys.

New User
chefpmo
0 Kudos

Thank you Jeremy!

The work around you suggested worked beautifully.  It was quick and simple. I thought I would never be able to access/download my books from google play and had tried several methods only to become frustrated after working on it several hours.

I am now in reading heaven again.

Thanks again.

Reader
tmarieb
0 Kudos

Worked perfectly! Thank you!!1
Reader
tmarieb

Puffin worked but was choppy and cost $2.99 after the 14 day free trial . Not willing in this day and age to pay for a browser. Delete!  Installed firefox then I went to the google play store and downloaded the flash player. Success!!! It only works in firefox, would not work in google chrome.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

You apparently missed the news that Puffin (full) was the Free Friday app.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
Psmama
0 Kudos

I set up a profile for my son, and it will not allow the movies I purchased to be watched in his profile. I have tried allowing chrome on his page to see if that will allow the movies, but no. and Youtube on his profile is also out of the question. I get a Blcak Box that says Googleplay has stopped working. I called the support number, but it was so hard to uderstand what the person was telling me because of the accent and she had a horrible time understanding me. I feel like I made a HUGE mistake in buying this a few months ago. The other problem I have that is a major one for me, is the constant rebooting or "updating" of the device that will happen at least once a day and many times up to 3 or 4 times. And it seems to happen every night while I am laying in bed reading, if I forget to disconnet the wifi. With these two problems, I am considering returning and getting a tablet from somewhere else. Anyone know how to fix these???? thanks

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Try giving them access to Google Services. That should clear up the issue with YouTube. As far as the syncing issue goes I'm clueless as I have that same issue, sometimes its no big deal and others it brings my NookHD+ to a halt.
mrskooshie
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

With regards to problems when using a different profile... I'd suggest DON'T.

Native Android is coded based on each application having an application specific data store. Profiles OTOH imply user-specific data and settings. Unless an application is coded for the HD profile feature its behavior in a restricted profile will be erratic.

If you were to return the HD and buy a tablet from some other maker you will be in the same condition as operating the HD with only the owner profile. So getting rid of any side profiles on the HD should be a first start.

For the many sync calls... go through all settings and turn off or extend the check interval... Especially for any of the Google stuff.

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

For the many sync calls... go through all settings and turn off or extend the check interval... Especially for any of the Google stuff.

Where do you find the setting for this?  (I can't find it.)

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

The main items are

Account auto sync off

Backup off

Since I've disabled the Google stuff in my profile I don't recall if it had specific.. I also stopped Twitter and Facebook, though they may restart.

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wulfraed wrote:

The main items are

Account auto sync off

Backup off

Since I've disabled the Google stuff in my profile I don't recall if it had specific.. I also stopped Twitter and Facebook, though they may restart.

Sorry, that didn't help.  I'm still getting the "synching library" notification.  :-(  The account sync setting applies to the Google Play account, and I already had backup (which is a Google thing) off. 

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

PJLLB wrote:

Sorry, that didn't help.  I'm still getting the "synching library" notification.  :-(  The account sync setting applies to the Google Play account, and I already had backup (which is a Google thing) off. 

I don't think you can stop the Library from synching.  At least if you are running the B&N OS.  If I'm wrong I'd like to know how also.

My HD+ used to synch only when it was first turned on but now it seems to do it quite often during a usage interval.  My wife's HD only seems to synch when turned on.