New User
knit4fun51
0 Kudos

Re: Top 10 Nook HD and HD+ Issues + Workarounds

there is a piece of software many librarys use, it is called OVER DRIVE, and it makes it easy to download books if your library uses it. It is free.
New User
knit4fun51
0 Kudos

OverDrive works good, but only if your library is also using it.
New User
roy33pdx
0 Kudos

I'm having the wireless connectivity issue.  I've turned everything, including the router, off and back on, tried the forget the wireless network, re-entered the password and nothing.  I tried to enter the wrong password and got a wrong password error, but the correct one doesn't work.  It keeps telling me that it's aquiring IP address. I've had it since last Christmas with zero issues until 2 days ago.  Everything else in the house connects to the wireless just fine.

Any ideas?

Contributor
murzma
0 Kudos

I had a similar issue.  I had to make adjustments since I am able to connect to b, g or n with my wireless.  I found that I can connect on b or g but not on n hope that helps

MK

New User
roy33pdx
0 Kudos

Doesn't help at all.  It just started with no solution.  I can connect other places, but not at home and it was all the sudden.  No help anywhere to try to figure it out.  I'm about to just throw it away since I can't connect where I need to.

New User
Barbara38
0 Kudos

I have always been able to connect but now I get the message that it is not installed.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Hi Barbara,

When you get that message, what is it saying is not installed?

Contributor
Mikezz
0 Kudos

I can't guarantee this will work in every case, but when my Nook started going around in circles connecting and disconnecting wifi access, I went to my router mfgr's home page and checked for a firmware update.  There was an update available and after installing it my Nook connectivity issues disappeared.  Give it a try and good luck.

Reader 4
creese

[ Edited ]
I hope this will help with wireless connection problems. Not all wireless routers or Internet Providers are the same. This may or may not work in all cases. I am sorry. I am not feeling well and I am typing this on my HD, I can't copy paste what should be the first step. ****PLEASE TRY THE OPTION TO "FORGET" YOUR WIRELESS CONNECTION BEFORE GOING INTO YOUR ROUTER SETTINGS. IT IS AT THE END OF MY POST**** Many wireless routers have syncing problems now and then. When this happens and you reset the router, you might also have to reset your password. Most router interface settings can be found by typing your router address in your internet browser on your computer not your device. A typical address looks like http://192.168.254.254. It is a good idea to check your documentation for your provider settings, though you probably only have to input your user name and password. When you have typed in your router interface address, you will either see a login screen or your router settings page will appear. If the login screen appears, try typing your user name and password. If it does not accept it, then type "admin" as the user name without the quotes and leave the password blank. This should open the router settings. Check your settings and go to the section that has the user name and password and type in yours and save changes. If the login screen does not appear, but the settings screen does, then you can type your user name and password, double check your settings and save changes. If neither appear or if you are uncomfortable doing this, your Internet Provider will walk you through the correct steps for resetting your wireless router. Once it is reset, your device should have no trouble finding the connection. PLEASE TRY THIS FIRST. I HAVE DONE THIS QUITE A FEW TIMES WITH EACH OF MY NOOKS AND IT CLEARS OUT THE WORKING MEMORY AS WELL. *****It is always a good idea to turn off your Nook and turn it back on whenever your connection is not working or the connection has slowed down. Your Nook should find the wireless connection, but always keep your network name and pass code handy. Restarting your Nook does not always give you a better connection. Sometimes the connection will improve if you click on the Network and "Forget" the connection. Restart your device, allow it to find the wireless network connection and re-enter your passcode.****** My problem is frustrating. I have a new Nook HD and I cannot get the darn sd card holder to open! It says to slide straight out with your fingertip. I have tried every fingertip but I am afraid I will break the card holder! No thread for this one. Just keep trying.
New User
sweller
0 Kudos

I just got my HD+ and have no issues with it. But in the past I've purchased devices that were quirky at first. My advice to anyone having WiFi connection issues is to make sure the firmware in your router is up to date. It's not hard to do and it can make a world of difference. It may not help, but it shouldn't hurt either. And if it makes things worse, you can always roll back.

New User
vrogers56
0 Kudos

I downloaded and installed the Dolphin browser, set it to be my default browser. Opened it and went to the CBS website to watch an episode of NCIS I missed. At first it didn't play, then I shut down my Nook HD+, restarted it and went to the CBS website again. It played fine, and didn't give me the "flash isn't supported on your device" message.
New User
KCP17
0 Kudos

I am so confused - I am new to my nook and all I want to do is combine the books I have in the library with my "google play" books I downloaded so they are all in one spot. I want to be able to click the "library" button at the bottom left of the screen and have all the books on there.

Is there a way to combine google play/goodreads/library? idk I just want to feel like I can click on one thing and open my books right there.

Please help!

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Google books won't show in the BN library. Put a shortcut for the Google Play Books app on your home page, or make it a widget and you will be able to select a specific book for each widget. 

Reader 2
tholyoak
0 Kudos

My biggest issue is that Google Voice doesn't work. It opens up and then crashes. Has anyone found a workaround for that?

Frequent Contributor
ankala
0 Kudos

New problem:

Over the weekend, while on amtrak and OFF WIFI, in airplane mode, suddenly the avast went wonky on my HD+. It identified the four most basic nook apps including home and library as malware.

It would not let me access anything in the nook. Finally, I was able to go through the nook HD+ settings (icon on top right) to list of apps to avast and UNINSTALL avast.

Then, everything works fine again.

So, avast became incompatible in use out of nowhere.

Maybe next I will see if there is a nook-compatible AVG app.
New User
FaerieLore
0 Kudos

what about a constant sync issue? I get the message "your library is syncing" then EVERYTHING crashes. Games and any browser your using. It doesn't affect the facebook app. But games like Candy Crush ans Subway Surfer will crash every single time. I have tried turning off all auto sync options but nothing works. I'm getting pretty pissed off over this issue I hope it can be fixed
Frequent Contributor
ankala
0 Kudos

surprise your nook was hijacked and wiped clean by the OS update

dear nook customer service representatives, you have ALL our emails.

Why why why could you not email us and tell us this was going to happen?

This morning, I am running to work, and opened my nook HD+ to check an email, and lo and gd behold, it is back to slate one and wants me to register it and reset up every gd thing!

Why do we have to re-register, re-download all our apps and books and games and everything?

I am FURIOUS with your lack of communication and serious LACK OF UNDERSTANDING of customer needs.

When Apple updates my iphone OS, I get a warning before hand, and it does NOT require setting up the phone anew.

An actual response would be welcomed.

Frequent Contributor
ankala
0 Kudos

Random Reboot Issue

My nook HD+ had a Random Reboot. That's the problem!

WHY?

I have restored most of my setup. Google play store is down for the count, however.

HELP!?!!

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

Re: Random Reboot Issue

It sounds like your Nook did a factory reset. If so, it may not have the latest OS, version 2.2.  Check your device info in settings. 2.2 was the version that introduced Google Play Store, I believe. You may need to update the OS. Or it may do it automatically eventually.

Frequent Contributor
ankala
0 Kudos

Re: Random Reboot Issue

Yes, it has the latest operating system. It is barely a year old.

This nook HD+ suffered the so-called "Random Reboot" issue, and yes, it forced a factory reset for no apparent reason after working perfectly since purchase.

It seems this problem is a known trouble. Many people have reported having such an issue.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A REMEDY?

OR IS THIS A FAULTY UNIT NEEDING REPLACEMENT?

I had the same problem before with my nook 1st edition, but it ran for almost three years before it began doing the "Random Reboot" problem repeatedly.

I am really disturbed that my nook HD+ is doing it and it is only a year old.

I treat all my electronics very gently and with care.