Reader
Suz44SR
0 Kudos

Trouble streaming and downloading movies

Help.  I am beyond frustrated with my Nook and with customer service. 

Over a month ago, I rented 2 movies.  Neither one would download.  When I contacted customer service, they did refund my money and they told me it was a problem with the movies. 

I tried to rent another movie and it would not download either, this time I was told it was a problem with all Nook HD devices and that I would hear back from a customer service rep in a week.  1 1/2 weeks later, I had not heard back, and called customer service.  The representative assured me that there is NO problems with the NOOK device and that I should be able to download movies without a problem.  So, I tried again.  This time I got a message saying that there was a problem with my account.  When I called customer service, they assured me that there was no problem with my account, that the problem was with the movie, once again and to wait 2 weeks before attempting to download another movie.  WTH?????  I feel like I'm getting the run around.  I've asked to talk to a manager and got the same stories.  So I feel stuck with this device that no one will help me fix and that I can't rent or buy movies for, which is the main reason I even upgraded from an old Nook. 

Is anyone else having similar problems?

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Re: Trouble streaming and downloading movies

[ Edited ]

Suz44SR wrote:

Help.  I am beyond frustrated with my Nook and with customer service. 

Over a month ago, I rented 2 movies.  Neither one would download.  When I contacted customer service, they did refund my money and they told me it was a problem with the movies. 

I tried to rent another movie and it would not download either, this time I was told it was a problem with all Nook HD devices and that I would hear back from a customer service rep in a week.  1 1/2 weeks later, I had not heard back, and called customer service.  The representative assured me that there is NO problems with the NOOK device and that I should be able to download movies without a problem.  So, I tried again.  This time I got a message saying that there was a problem with my account.  When I called customer service, they assured me that there was no problem with my account, that the problem was with the movie, once again and to wait 2 weeks before attempting to download another movie.  WTH?????  I feel like I'm getting the run around.  I've asked to talk to a manager and got the same stories.  So I feel stuck with this device that no one will help me fix and that I can't rent or buy movies for, which is the main reason I even upgraded from an old Nook. 

Is anyone else having similar problems?

If you are linked to Ultraviolet or flixster, then unlink those two (go to flixster.com/your account).

Next, do you have 2 or more Barnes and Noble accounts ?

Next, Have you recently changed your email addy and opened another account (BN)?

Next, and lastly if 'no' to all the above, go to settings, and deregister/register your device (wipe it clean).

Your issues are due to one of the above. Do not run a movie on multiple devices or accounts at the same time.

The point is, if you have multiple accounts, it can mess with your stream/download purchases. If you recently changed to a new account for whatever reason(new email), call BN and have them permanently close any unused accounts.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Suz44SR, I have the same issue where rented movies won't stream or download.

I can't handle doing phone calls or chat for hours so I've just given up and am waiting for the Nook Video Apps to appear.

I did email them and they asked to call or chat so they could verify the account.

I had had a problem with the account though (they sent me Nooks before I paid for them). Perhaps it was related to that.

What GreenPlanet wrote is interesting because i do have multiple B&N account, though i only use one.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

Suz44SR, I have the same issue where rented movies won't stream or download.

I can't handle doing phone calls or chat for hours so I've just given up and am waiting for the Nook Video Apps to appear.

I did email them and they asked to call or chat so they could verify the account.

I had had a problem with the account though (they sent me Nooks before I paid for them). Perhaps it was related to that.

What GreenPlanet wrote is interesting because i do have multiple B&N account, though i only use one.

Closing all accounts but the primary (associated with your name) will solve the video issues. (supervisor at BN will need to effectively, permanently close them).

Then reopen new UV account link it to your sole primary, and stay away from flixster and 3rd party apps.

They dont seem to jive with the idea of playing vids on multiple accts and diff devices. I cant believe you still cant watch a movie 5...Dam

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I can't close my accounts. One is this one and the other one is one which has all the books. Can't lose either.

New User
TravelorBB
0 Kudos

Has anyone received any update from support on this?  I've been having this issue for quite a while and spent a frustrating hour+ on the phone with support (who had me try many things that were not useful.)  After talking to someone in the digital content area of support, I found out that B&N is getting quite a few calls about this - issue seems to be the biggest for rentals.

Has anyone tried downloading movies to an microsd card on a pc, and then plugging the microsd card into the HD+ to watch the movie?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Is this even possible?

Has anyone tried downloading movies to an microsd card on a pc, and then plugging the microsd card into the HD+ to watch the movie?

If so, that would fix the issue for me. I can definitely use the PC to Nook Transfer.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

That won't be possible until B&N comes out with their video app for PC and other devices. They still have it listed as "coming soon".

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks laurieb.

New User
TrishMck
0 Kudos

I have the same issue - after two hours on the phone today I was told that the "studio" had given them a bad copy of the movie - which might make sense if it wasn't three different studios and three different movies.  The CS Reps I  spoke with were totally useless.  I'm really, really frustrated.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

TrishMcK, not much you can do with phone reps. You should visit a store instead.

New User
TXKD
0 Kudos

I had all kinds of issues - I downloaded a rental movie to watch on a plane, but was unable to view it (when I clicked on the movie, it would show the view console for about 2 seconds, then go back to the movie information).   I spend 2 hours in the store and another 1 1/2 with support.   I've been credited for 2 rentals so far but have been unable to view anything.   I can buy a movie, download it and then watch, but can't get the rental to work.   Downloading is painfully slow...so now I'm using a microSD and all is well.   Frustrating, however, as I upgraded from the first generation tablet to an HD specifically to rent movies and watch when traveling.

New User
Wayno56

Your tale of woe mirrors mine exactly.  I upgraded yesterday from a Tablet to Nook HD and am unable to download a rented movie, which i want to view while traveling on a plane.  When i try to download, i get an error message:  "We cannot initiate playback at this time."  Online support couldn't help and had me call voice support.  Voice support said that there's a problem with movies and I'll have to wait until it's fixed.  WTF?  Since I'm a lawyer who has some experience with class actions, I'm thinking maybe that's what's needed.  This is unacceptable.  Downloading rented movies was the the specific reason I upgraded.  And as for the advice above about eliminating accounts, I have only one (1) Nook account, although I have 2 devices.  I also have a Simple Reader, which I use just for books and both of my devices obviously access the same book library.  I am not going to clear out my library of books. 

Reader 4
kanoots
0 Kudos

I tried to download a movie rental yesterday and it wouldn't load (never budged from 0%).  When I tried to troubleshoot myself (soft reset, refresh, etc), I went back to download the movie and this time I got the message that I had exceeded the number of downloads allowed for that movie.  Which was funny because it never downloaded.  After emailing a few times, chatting online with a B&N representative, and calling their 800 number, I got refunded for a movie I never got to watch.  The woman on the phone suggested I try to download another movie after I got my credit back.

So I downloaded another movie today.  I got it to go to about 50% and then I stepped out of wifi for a few hours.  I was assured by the man I chatted with and the woman on the phone that leaving wifi wouldn't be a problem, that the movie would continue to download once I was back in wifi.  But that didn't happen.  Now, when I try to download, it tells me that I've exceeded the number of downloads again.  Except, of course, it hasn't downloaded.  If it had, I would no longer see the "download" option, according to the man in chat.

I am so beyond frustrated.  I called my local B&N store tonight and will take it to them tomorrow morning to see if it makes a difference.  After reading the posts here, however, I have very little hope. 

Does anyone know if the videos on Google Play fare any better?  Do those actually work?  Like most people I've seen post here, I want to be able to watch my movies without having to stream because I'm on the go.  If I weren't, I'd just watch it on my tv!  Not being able to actually use this function irritates the crap outta me because I specifically bought it for movies.  

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, Google Play works better.

I also have problems with rentails - they don't download at all. The movie I rented didn't work twice. I didn't have the time to follow up with phone support and then it showed up on Netflix.

However, rentais don't work for me. From Google Play Store I had a free movie that ran fine. I'd recommend trying a cheap movie first to make sure it works.

Reader
nwabuckeye
0 Kudos

No problems with movies from Google Play running BUT...I found that they only download to the Nook Hd  internal drive, not the SD card, so you end up using up a large chunk of internal memory.  Nook C.S. was of some help but readily admitted they had to read through manuals because they weren't prepared for issues relating to Google Play purchases.  I also discovered that the Google Play videos are in a format not supported by Nook so they will only play using the G.P. video app. So even if you manage to get the video to your SD card(long process), it will not play.  I ended up getting my money refunded from Google Play.  It appears Barnes & Noble did not properly prepare for the addition of Google Play.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Download the free Vudu app from B&N, and rent, buy, or convert your DVD's from them. I tend to just stream my movies, so I'm not sure if when downloading from VUDU, you can also download to an SD card, or only to the internal card.. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
New User
Miki13
0 Kudos

Re: Trouble streaming and downloading movies and TV shows

I used to use my Nook HD+ to stream TV shows off the web.  Now with the upgrade, it won't work and I am waiting for an upgrade to the new Nook/Google operating system to be able to do it.  I as many other people as well bought my Nook for streaming TV shows from their sites, and to watch movies on airplanes.  On airplanes I am now forced to use my IPod (it makes me wonder if I should have purchased an IPad instead of the Nook.  The Nook HD+ is not capable of doing what it was advertised to do.  I find it a total dissapointment and would not recommend it to anyone.  My sister has a Kindle and hers worked better than my Nook HD+ on vacation.