New User
Caveman469
0 Kudos

Ultraviolet movies listed as 'Unsupported'

I recently added UV copies of "The Dark Knight Rises" and "The Adventures of Tinin" to my Nook HD, yet they have little tabs on the side that read 'Unsupported'.... and they will not stream.

I have added UV copies of "Men in Black 3" and "Prometheus" that work just fine...

Why are these others not working?  "TDKR" was added through Flixster (per the enclosed instructions), and "Tintin" was added through the Paramount UV website.

I'm not seeing ANY solutions online... either on B&N, or on UV....

Help?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

My Theory on why some Ultraviolot Movies are "Unsupported"

[ Edited ]

I have no hard proof of this yet.  But I seem to be noticing a pattern of behavior. 

It seems that only movies that are also in BN's catalog work propperly on the Nook.  For instance, each of my movies that work show as "Purchased" when I search them in the Nook Shop, but all of the ones that don't work show no results in the search.

My is that the movie has to match exactly between UV and BN for it to work correctly.

What I'm expecting is to see some of these Unsupported movies suddenly become available when BN ads them to the catalog.  A good example would be The Lord of the Rings movies.  I own all three Extended Editions on UV but only The Fellowship of the Ring works on the Nook.  Fellowship of the Ring Extended is available in the Nook Shop, but The Two Towers and The Return of the King are only available in their Theatrical release versions.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

Re: My Theory on why some Ultraviolot Movies are "Unsupported"

I have, for example, accessed lawrence of arabia which I purchased  as bluray and registered with ultraviolet.  It streamed on nook no problem.

The problem isa lack of stanndards in various types of media.

Geoff

Inspired Contributor
Michael_the_Writer
0 Kudos

Re: Ultraviolet movies listed as 'Unsupported'

I noticed in update 2.0.4 "TDKR" displayed as "Purchased" in my Nook's Library but couldn't be played unless through Flixster. With the latest update, 2.0.5 it now displays as "Unsupported" in my Library and when I updated Flixster it says I can't watch the movie because I have a rooted device. Seems like this might be due to conflicts between UV, Flixster, and B&N. I'm sure they'll work it out eventually. Sorry.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

I've had mixed results.  I bought Cool Hand Luke (which has a UV Icon next to it in the Shop) and that appeared on my Nook right after purchase and then showed up in Ultraviolet shortly there after.

It seems that Ultraviolet is a service with so many different people involved it makes it a mess.  Like they say, to many hands in the pot spoils the soup.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Although all of my movies will stream and play on my HD (those purchased from B&N, UV movies that came with physical DVD's and my amazon movies),only my B&N and sideloaded movies show under "movies" on the HD; the UV versions of physcial DVD's do not. Of course, I still have to use Flixster for the non B&N UV movies and stream amazon movies from the amazon web site (standard definition only on amazon).  

Additionally, since the 2.05 update, when I go to "my collection" on the UV web page, all movies purchased from B&N show up twice. What a mess.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

I've made another observation or two over the holiday.  My daughter was gifted a Nook HD over the holiday,  My HD+ was purchased on it's release day and was linked with UV when the 2.0.4 update came out.  My daughters was updated to 2.0.5 before it was linked to UV.

My observation was that any movie that I purchased on UV showed up in some way on her HD but not mine.  For instance, I bought Spiderman and Fightclub on UV as a test.  Both of them displayed on hers almost immediatly, but never showed up on mine.  I contacted support and we went through various steps with no success and ultimately decided to unregister and erase the HD+.

After registering with my BN account all of my movies showed up the same as they were on my daughters. 

I also noticed a factory reset post 2.0.5 seems to have resolved couple of other minor issues.  For instance, apps that download extra content would only download to the internal memory but after the reset the one that support it see both.

Next time I want to buy a UV movie I'll let you know if it shows up automagically on my Nook.

As a side note, I think we have two seperate issues here.  One is just getting them to show up which seems to have been resolved by the reset atleast for me.  The fact that many movies are listed as "Unsupported" I think is due to BN not having a huge movie catalog yet.  I'm hoping that as they add more movies some of our unsupported ones will work.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

Sorry for the double post.

I just bought Enter the Dragon on UV and it showed up on both mine and my daughters Nooks almost immediatly.  That's a nice confirmation that the reset seems to have helped.

I specifically chose Enter the Dragon and confirmed that it was available on UV and on BN before I bought it because I wanted to see if it showed up on my Nook when bought on UV.  But I think that is hit or miss because I bought Fight Club on UV with the same hope that it was supported on the Nook but it was not.  

As a side note, when I bought Fight Club it had the UV symbol next to it but it doesn't anymore.  Maybe a goof on BN's part as they get their video store setup more?

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

I bought the Blue Ray bundle with UV of Looper, and two versions show on my Nook HD+ - One is unsupported the other plays fine.

So far I have bought 3 Blue Ray Disks bundled with UV and all show on my Nook HD+.
Contributor
swollen_ostrich

[ Edited ]

I just got a Nook HD and hooked it to my UltraViolet account.  It only showed 13 of my 22 UV movies. out of them, The Dark Night Rises, The Perfect Storm, Girls Season 1, and Katy Perry Part Of Me are all shown as unsupported.

The Dark Night Rises in NOT in the BN store, The Perfect Storm IS in the BN store, Girls Season One is NOT in the BN store, Katy Perry Part of Me is NOT in the BN store.

The following UV movies that I own do NOT show up on the Nook HD when I link my account at all:  Prometheus, Miss Congeniality, Van Helsing, Space Jam, Demolition Man, Blow, Mars Attacks, and Harry Potter Deathly Hollows Part 2

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this unsupported issue.  It's not provider, because some of the movies where Flixster is the vendor show up, some don't, one UV movie that is in the BN store is unsupported, one that is in the BN store doesn't show up at all on the device.

I think the whole UV system as a whole is buggy as hell.  I have had to contact their tech support more than once to get movies I own to show up anywhere.

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

That's interesting-- I too have Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 2 as an ultraviolet movie but mine DOES show up on my HD+. Unfortunately it only shows up as unsupported.

Inspired Contributor
Miss_Kilman
0 Kudos

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this unsupported issue.  It's not provider, because some of the movies where Flixster is the vendor show up, some don't, one UV movie that is in the BN store is unsupported, one that is in the BN store doesn't show up at all on the device.

I think the whole UV system as a whole is buggy as hell.  I have had to contact their tech support more than once to get movies I own to show up anywhere.

I have to agree with Ostrich. Buggy. However, I do know that a few of the film providers (Paramount, I'm looking at you) try to limit the ways in which you can view their content. In spite of the fact that the movie houses have joined together on UV, they are still in competition with one another. So there has been some foot-dragging as well as some pettiness in trying to force people to use proprietary viewing methods for specific content.

Things are looking up. The long-promised, online version of disc-to-digital through Walmart's Vudu service is about to finally launch.

UV is still young (only a little over a year old). Also, trying to make big movie production companies work together nicely is a lot like hosting a birthday party for 4 year olds. Lots of whining, crying, breaking things and general pandemonium. Frankly, I'm amazed that a single UV copy shows up anywhere! We will probably just have to bide our time and wait for the services to improve.