Contributor
southpaw412
0 Kudos

Unable to sideload pictures.

I want to sideload pictures from my PC to nookhd. However when if I connect nook in camera mode, I can see file folders, but pictures won't transfer I tried copy and paste. Pictures copy, but the paste options is not there. If I try drag and drop, I get the circle w/diagonal line thru it.

If I connect nook in media mode it appears as 'nook' on the f drive and the only thing my computer detects is a "Nook setup document." When I open this doc it takes me to a website, which I believe is meant for MAC users.

In my PC's device manager, when connected in 'media mode' the nook shows up under other device with a big yellow ? that says MTP. I tried to update MTP driver but get the message 'hardware not installed due to missing driver'. I read somewhere to update windows media player, so I did. This didn't help.

I'm currently running XP, could this be the issue?

Real frustrating. Didn't have this issue before on a 2nd PC, also XP, but that computer is no longer available.

Hopefully someone has some answers.

Thanks, Southpaw

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Re: Unable to sideload pictures.

southpaw412 wrote:

I want to sideload pictures from my PC to nookhd. However when if I connect nook in camera mode, I can see file folders, but pictures won't transfer I tried copy and paste. Pictures copy, but the paste options is not there. If I try drag and drop, I get the circle w/diagonal line thru it.

If I connect nook in media mode it appears as 'nook' on the f drive and the only thing my computer detects is a "Nook setup document." When I open this doc it takes me to a website, which I believe is meant for MAC users.

In my PC's device manager, when connected in 'media mode' the nook shows up under other device with a big yellow ? that says MTP. I tried to update MTP driver but get the message 'hardware not installed due to missing driver'. I read somewhere to update windows media player, so I did. This didn't help.

I'm currently running XP, could this be the issue?

Real frustrating. Didn't have this issue before on a 2nd PC, also XP, but that computer is no longer available.

Hopefully someone has some answers.

Thanks, Southpaw

I think your problem is related to XP and the version of Windows Media Player - I no longer have XP so I can't check on updating WMP - it may be part of IE.  Check for updates to both and see if that solves your problem.

Good Luck!

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Ooh..When I first got my Nook, I was running XP and I had to update it to be able to read ex fat on micro sd cards.  I think it was this update - http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=19364

If not, search the B&N forums for XP and HD and you should find the solution.

Good luck!

Contributor
southpaw412
0 Kudos

Thanks Swamprat and A Rose for your suggestions.I updated WM Player as well as XP and Unfortunatly I'm still having the same issues.

When in Camera mode, unable to copy/paste or drag and drop, when in Media mode Nook shows up as an HTML setup file which is the file I think that people get when hooking their Nook up to their MAC. It's my understanding that it should actually show up as BNTV400. It did on my 2nd computer w/XP, but like I mentioned above that comp is no longer available. I tried to contact BN cust. support, but got tired of being on hold. Frustrating to say the least.

SP

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear that Southpaw.

You could always use Dropbox App (free) to get photos from your pc onto your Nook.  Once the photos are in Dropbox, you can export it to the SD card.  I think this saves it to the internal memory of your Nook as that is referred to as 'SD card'.

If you haven't used Dropbox before, you install the App on your Nook and the program on your pc. You sign up for an account, and then sign in on both devices.  You can then drag photos to the Dropbox folder on your pc and if you are attached to wifi the two Dropboxes will syncronise, with files then available on both devices.  Once it is in the Dropbox app on the Nook, go into the file and next to the photo or file you want to move to your Nook, tap on the dropdown menu and tap on export and save to SD card.  

You can do a bunch of other things using the App, such as share photos via facebook or email or skype, and create Group boxes that other people can access. You can also buy extra space from them and put all your files in the Dropbox cloud.

Contributor
southpaw412
0 Kudos

Thanks ARose. Dropbox seems to do the trick as i got my picts.:smileyhappy: Seems fairly easy to use so I'm not going to waste anymore time trying to solve the issue of my pc detecting nook as an HTML file.  Have a good 4th.

SP