Contributor
SPDR8CR
0 Kudos

Update 2.0.6 Wiped Out Apps!!

I received a notification from BN and upgraded my HD+ this evening to 2.0.6.  When the device restarted, ALL my apps disappeared (i.e., Pandora, Flash, Adobe Air, Splashtop Remote, etc.)  After speaking with BN's (ghastly) technical support, I was advised to wipe the device and start from scratch.  I was an early adopter (purchased on 11/8) and I have lived to regret it.  I've put up with the weird, quirkly things that come with brand new technology and the kinks that have to be worked out.  Even had to have the Nook replaced already.  I don't complain about having to restart when things just go haywire or about pressing a word five times to get it to highlight in an EPUB.  But when a company provides an UPGRADE that contains "minor fixes", I don't expect it to do more damage than good, and I don't expect that it will require much more work on my side.

I am at such a loss as to what to do.  Any direction, counsel, comfort.... is appreciated.  I really do want to love my Nook.  I purchased the tablet first and had NO complaints.  This HD+ is a different story entirely.  Sending this out to the Nook universe... HELP!

Contributor
Fred_
0 Kudos

Re: Update 2.0.6 Wiped Out Apps!!

[ Edited ]

I read your post, then a little while later got a notification of 2.0.6 on my Nook HD.  I decided not to install it based on your story, but a little while later it just installed itself without asking me.

Now all my apps and purchased books are gone!  I am so upset.  This is my first Nook product, purchased less than a month ago.  I am seriously considering cutting my losses, throwing the $229 + books/apps purchases I have made away and gettting an ipad mini instead.

There is no excuse for this happening.  The extra price Apple charges seems to be well worth it as I'll bet they actually test their software updates before releasing them.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Just did the update to 2.0.6 on my HD+. Everything went smooth. Nothing lost Positions in books and pdfs retained. Tabs in browsers retained. Shelves intact. It may be too early to tell for sure, but browser is much more responsive. There is a new feature to move things to the Cloud en masse. This is much better than the 2.0.5 update, a least for me, where I lost everything and had to do an Erase and Deregister.
Contributor
Fred_
0 Kudos

Called B&N support, they had me do a hard reset.  I then re-entered my account information and my missing books returned.  I now have to re-download my apps from the cloud.  Stored music in Rhapsody was lost but I can re-download it.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Re: Update 2.0.6 Customizable widgets added

[ Edited ]
Nook hd+ did not lose anything, so don't panic. Hold down on the homescreen (like you change wallpaper) brings up a new category *WIDGETS* with a fairly nice selection ! Enjoy !
It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I just updated my Nook HD+ without any problems.  I did not lose any of my apps, or books.  Now, where are the widgets?  I seem not to be able to find them.

Lector GS
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Nothing lost during Check For Update process -- not even my position in MahJong that I was playing while the update downloaded and rebooted.

The widgets, however, don't impress.

The only one I'd find useful (out of the stock ones) is the quick calendar view. BUT since the calendar still cannot be used stand-alone!!!

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I`ve lost access to my apps too. Just like I did when 2.0.5 came along. I even took the SD card out before the update went thru. Apps are still on the device as they appear under settings, but not under library or under apps on home screen. The only app that appears is settings. Any ideas on how to regain access to them without deregistering? I so want to keep my side loaded Flash. Thanks. (Dolphin browser in UK doesn't do flash, so sadly not a solution)
Frequent Contributor
Randy_Hayes
0 Kudos

Same here. Happened last time. Removed SD card this time before updating to no avail. Everything from library gone. Looks like I have this to look forward to with every update. Resetting and redownloading and retweaking takes a long time, so this hurts my feelings.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok - hunted out Roustabout's solution when the 2.0.5 blew out the apps:

'Don, what you are describing sounds a lot like something I ran into when I was using profiles - you may need to get into "edit profiles" mode and re-grant your profile permission to use the apps. 

Profiles

Edit Profiles

Manage Content

A set of tickboxes drops down that grants access to apps, magazines, books, etc.'

So that got my stock apps back, but it didn't list any of my purchased apps.  

I can, however, get to them via the hidden apps drawer, accessed by going to the Apps page, holding the Volume+, and tapping the word Apps at the top of the page.

Any suggestions on how to get to the purchased apps more easily accessible without having to set up my pc with working ADB to load a 3rd party launcher (which sounds like it's way too hard...)

Thank you!!

Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

My suggestion would be the N2A download for HD+

$20 (after a couple of updates) now gets you a 'reasonably' stable build of Jelly Bean and access to all of Google Play etc

If you still want to run 'pure' NOOK you can.

Plus (and this is my first exposure to N2A) updates are frequent and most issues fixed in an extremely timely manner.

$20 and the cost of a MicroSD card (although I expect most people have one of these anyway) gives you a high-end Android tablet (in terms of operating system, memory, screen resolution etc) at a much lower cost.

And no - I don't work for N2A..!

Frequent Contributor
SMG51
0 Kudos

Is there an N2A for the HD?

Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

Haven't checked recently -  but I believe it is to be released Q1 of 2013 - ie soon.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion, LucaToo.  I have bought the N2A software, and after much faff & two new SD cards, I have a fairly unstable Jellybean. By unstable I mean the Nook OS keeps grabbing back control, in spite of installing the wakelock app.  

I really want to like this device. I am bending over backwards to accomodate the stuff B&N said it would do that it doesn't, and when it boots back to Nook from the very lovely Jellybean environment, I want to be able to shrug and still enjoy it.

In the time I have been struggling with the Nook, I got a new phone. My experience with my Galaxy SII is such a contrast with the pain of the HD+.  It has picked up much of the stuff I wanted from the HD+ (like accessing my 20GB music collection from SD card) even though it's really a phone, and seems designed to help me, rather than challenge me in new and frustrating ways!! :smileyfrustrated:

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen

No problems

Randy_Hayes wrote:

Same here. Happened last time. Removed SD card this time before updating to no avail. Everything from library gone. Looks like I have this to look forward to with every update. Resetting and redownloading and retweaking takes a long time, so this hurts my feelings.

This only happens to all of you with funny little Nooks on magic mushrooms *cough* er, or the ones that are tweaked.

All of you reading with stock factory Nooks will have no issues. So dont worry.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

I found wakelock didn't do anything - and seemed to make things worse.

When did you download the N2A software - as a new release was made dated 14/01/13. If your software is earlier than this I would suggest redownloading (or waiting for the HD+ upgrade if you don't want to have to re-install all apps etc)..?

My personal expereince after the latest update is that the machine rarely crashes (and it is in constant use in the evening for a good 3-4 hours each day).

the only caveat  would add - is to not bother with a 64gb MicroSD card as they run slower (despite being class 10) and are far more prone to problems.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: No problems

Do we know this for a fact?

All of you reading with stock factory Nooks will have no issues. So dont worry.

IT'd be good if that is the case.

I can't believe this is happening with V2.0.6 too.

Why would having a tweaked OS cause issues?

What's the connection between tweaks or having the N2A card and losing apps and books. Shouldn't they be completely different?

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks, LucaToo, I did download before that date so I'll do it again...

I have two 32 GB scandisc 4 cards I've been using to try and get N2A stable, so I'll stick with those.

Green Planet - not sure how irony travelles transatlantic!!! So are you saying that my Nook HD+ will remember that it once booted into Jellybean, and it will misbehave whenever B&N tries to update it?

Or are you saying that my sideloading Flash is considered deviant behaviour, and will be punished?! 

Does raise another interesting question- could the sidleloading of apps be the thing that causes 2.0.6 update, and 2.0.5 update before it, to wipe App access from the profiles of some devices? That's the only thing that's different from my machine and a stock factory one.

(My understanding is that using the N2A card doesn't change the OS on the device - just acts as a boot disc when it's in the device.)

Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

N2A are now recommending SanDisk class 4 MicroSD cards only.

I have used two of those and both work fine.

If you are using anything different I would personally recommend buying the SanDisk card.

Contributor
SPDR8CR

Re: No problems

NOT TRUE. I have a "stock factory Nook" and LOST EVERYTHING. I'm not so much "worried" as I am tried and frustrated with my device. You've made a rather sweeping ascertion, minus some key facts.