Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: No problems

Ellen, if you erase and deregister, the first thing it'll do will be to update to 2.0.6 before moving forward - as soon as you enable wifi to reregister, it looks for system updates before letting you proceed.

Over at XDA there's a flashable rooted 2.0.0 release (maybe 2.0.4?) and I tried putting together a flashable 2.0.6 which might have been viable, but there were other things wrong with my HD+ yesterday so I can't be sure - my flash seemed to work but my device never quite finished booting, so I forced a hard reset instead.  This was the same behavior I had with the device after I did an erase and deregister, so it could easily be that it worked but still needed to have a change made at a very low level. 

I've long since given up on BN and shelves, I use fbreader and make use of the binned sorting it offers, that is, all titles or authors starting with each letter/number are in a single bin of things in my directory tree when I open fb reader. 

It really is too bad that BN isn't actually letting us decline system updates. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
Logician
0 Kudos

"It really is too bad that BN isn't actually letting us decline system updates."

That would be a nightmare. Think about it. Someone doesn't want this update, but they want the next one. How would that work?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

No nightmare at all - just ensure that updates continue to be complete.

The updates have been complete for the NST, the NC, the NT and so far for the HD.  That is, you can use the update as a basis for writing your own flashable update file which can be used to recover a failed device in many circumstances, or to overwrite a bad update (2.0.5 when it broke root) with a good update (prerooted 2.0.x, where X was either 4 or zero, I forget which.) 

So I could decline 2.0.6 because it borked a feature I want, and then apply 2.0.7 because it apparently worked well and others reported it was fine for them. 

There is absolutely no reason not to implement declining an update for 2.0.7, but sadly it probably will have to wait for 2.0.7.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

Re: Update 2.0.6 Wiped Out Apps!!

TJCule

"As an aside...the N2A card is a brilliant piece of equipment.  Not sure when it will be available for the HD, but I am SOLD on the one I have in my HD+!  I was skeptical that something so simple could offer so much in terms of what it would accomplish, but it was well worth the price in my book."

Have you had any adverse affects since the 2.0.6 update on the N2A - since mine is now playing up at times.? I am assured that it is only a coincidence as the update cannot have affected the N2A - but would be interested in others thoughts.

Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

AlbionRose wrote:

It seems that for now the only way to keep your app data is to use the hidden app drawer to access the apps until CS come up with a fix. And you really have to tap and hold the word Apps when vol up is at max when you are on the apps page to have any hope of accessing the drawer.

AlbionRose,

I was unaware of the hidden drawer until you posted this. The apps that came with my nook but are not available in the store (e.g. Pandora) are in this hidden drawer. What is this drawer? If the apps are actually available from my nook, why aren't they in my normal Apps drawer as well?

Contributor
OreJen

Sorry I wasn't clear. The only books left on my Nook HD + after the update were the sideloaded ones. Not on my B&N account.

Contributor
OreJen
0 Kudos

That is what I meant, thanks. I did end up deregistering and reregistering to bring everything back. Ugh.

Reader 4
kg182
0 Kudos

OMG I feel the same way I really was excited when I purchased the nook back in November my first nook product and it's driving me crazy!!! I have a iPod touch 5th gen (I upgraded from 4th gen) and never had any issues with both of them. I had got the nook hd base on having a bigger screen than the iPod and being able to read books and watching movies expandable storage and the $$ compared to the mini iPad if I would have know how much of a headache the nook has caused me I would have spend the extra on the iPad
Contributor
Flamberge
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Grr...it's 2.0.5 all over again. My Nook updated itself while I was away from home. Despite being stock, had all the BN content disappear. I tried restoring permissions to my one and only profile, but as other users stated, it only allows restoration of the 8 or 9 built-in apps. Even after multiple resets, no change. I suppose the only option is to -- yet again, dump all my app settings and game progress down the drain and do a factory reset. And now I have to spend all day redownloading all the apps, books and manga for the third time. Though I know it won't be a possibility, I hope that 2.0.7 has some kind of recovery feature to fix this stuff wen it inevitably happens once again to us unlucky bunch of customers.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Gerry F I have no clue why B&N put some of their preloaded apps into a hidden drawer. I was aware from various forums that sideloaded apps went there, and BaronWulfred pointed out to me that the recording app for childrens stories was stored there too.  I would love to be able to promote apps from the hidden drawer to the homescreen or to the regular apps library.....

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Albion Rose, I think it was just something random.

They had to have some way to show 'sideloaded apps' since they chose not to show those on main Apps page.

And when they go there and decide what apps to show I'm guessing it just searches for apps and shows everything that meets some criteria. Since those criteria seem to be pretty broad, it shows pre-installed apps, some bought apps, and the sideloaded apps.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

I just now updated and when I first booted up, my library appeared to be gone too! However, I had set up an extra profile for myself before and when I looked there, it was all there. I backed out of that profile, when into the main profile again and there part of it was back again, but I could now select what wasn't showing up anymore to add it to my profile. Couldn't do that the first time.

Luckily most of my ebooks are archived so not too much hassle. I had hope that I wouldn't have to look at all those books with little clouds on them anymore. I had hoped the update would allow us to separate them from our on device library.

Contributor
Durfman

The update didn't wipe out my apps, but it wiped out my SD card.

The card was so messed up, I had to reformat it and then re-copy all of my books and files back to it.

Rob

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's a new one.

So the Card just stopped working on your Nook?

Reader 2
Alan_Blackmoore

I have not "modded" my Nook HD, just using what B&N provides, other than some sideloaded books. After the 2.0.6 update (which just installed automatically last week when I turned on my Nook) all of my apps and purchased books  were missing. The update also wiped out all my shelves and MP3 playlists. The only books left on my device after the update were the ones I had sideloaded. I went to the "My Nook"sections of B&N's site on my desktop PC, set all my purchased books and apps to "archive", then powered down the Nook, set all those items back to "active" and powered the Nook back up. Then I went to "edit profiles" and from "manage content" I was able to select all apps and books. Once I did that, they at least appeared in their repsective sections, but I still had to redownload all of them.

Thanks to others in the thread for the tips on getting my stuff back... My sympathies to those who had to erase/deregister their devices.

To PlanetGreen: you obviously don't know what youre talking about, and taunting and insulting others is about as far from helpful as possible. If you don't have anything contructive to add then you should not post.

Just wanted to add also that, as others have said, this type of issue is not acceptable in general release software. If I was beta testing a new product I would expect these types of problems, but for B&N to release something with such a serious issue and then not be able to squash the bug through multiple updates is disgraceful to say the least. We deserve better quality than this: This issue has already cost them customers and will continue to do so the longer it is ignored.

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." -- Oscar Wilde
Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

The update now doesn't show any of the mp4 side-loaded movies I have on the SD card anymore in the Library area under TV and Movies like it did with 2.0.5.  The only way to find a movie to view is to go to Open Explorer App and search the SD card for the movie.  That's stupid!

Before the update, my movies showed under TV and Movies.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

campyrs, Did you look in one of the folders in My Files in the Library?
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

campyrs,

Download the Movie Gallery app to easily see your sideloaded movies. The most recent version also allows you to assign movie covers without sideloading a movie image file.

I also found this change irritating (though you couldn't access movie covers for sideloaded movies  in the library section in 2.05). I also still can't see my non B&N UV movies in the movie library of my HD after the update (still have to use Flixter), though all of my movies and our UV movies now show up and are playable on my hubby's HD+ after the update.

I've tried adding myself as an additional user on the UV account, and have been able to get both of our Nook accounts and the Flixster accounts linked for both devices, but still no luck. Also tried signing in with just one user, but that didn't work either.  I'm thinking this won't work until UV adds a way to add additional devices on their website.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Just a thought…

Have you tried popping out the SD card, rebooting the Nook, and then reinserting the card? Maybe the library application needs the incentive to rescan the card…

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

To DonMN:
Yes I did and they do not show up there either. Before the update they showed up under TV and Movies. Now it shows 0 there. Like I said, I have to use explorer (app) to find them. I have too many things and bookmarks on my Nook to re-register it. Besides being a pain in the backside, it takes hours to get it all back.