Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

Re: Update 2.0.6 Wiped Out Apps!!

Ignore my question about how to PM - I found it. Chalk it up to a foolish, lazy newbie.

And just for completeness of this discussion - I did the upgrade to 2.0.6 and lost all my shelves and apps. Also cannot see my side-loaded movies from Library/Movies & TV (although I can access them from Library/My Files/... and from the Gallery app).

I edited my profile and added back in the standard 9 but the others appear to be gone. I've PMed Alex in the hope that he can help me.

The odd thing is that I can see data about all my purchased apps by going to Settings/Applications/My Apps, I just can't see the actual apps.

And I'll need to recreate all my shelves... <sigh>

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Gerry, the standard fix is to deregister and register again. However, there's no way I know of to get everything back automatically. You'll have to download all apps and books again.

As a data point - My Nook HD+ updated without issues. My Nook HD hasn't updated.

Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

Dumb question - how do I re-download apps without purchasing them again? Do I go to the store and click the Buy and Confirm links? Or is there some other mechanism for downloading already purchased apps.

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

Re: No problems

I am another user who had no problems with the updates.  All my apps and books are there, all my shelves (with side-loaded books and B&N books) stayed in place, and I have full access to my SD card.  So far I'm a happy camper.

I am glad to finally get the widgets back.  However, I am not impressed with the current selection.  Hopefully we will get better ones in the future!

New User
frustratedhduser
0 Kudos

New User
frustratedhduser

Why is every answer to wipe and start over

I have had my nook HD for 61 days and seems like the answer to everything (1800the book) and tech support chat is restore to factory de-register and re-register.  this is my 4th time

Correspondent
Wulfraed

GerryF wrote:

Dumb question - how do I re-download apps without purchasing them again? Do I go to the store and click the Buy and Confirm links? Or is there some other mechanism for downloading already purchased apps.

Hypothetical (I've not had to do this) would be to log into you account via a web browser, archive the items, wait a bit for it to propagate through their system. The on the Nook do a refresh.

Then, maybe as a precaution, power off the Nook (not normal sleep mode) go back to web and unarchive from there (well, maybe check the Nook archive listing and see if they show -- you might be able to unarchive directly). Finally, refresh on the Nook.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

I did the update and had no problems. Everything is in place and working great so far. I only had a few shelves with a few books on them, I didn't want to spend hours on shelves until the issues surrounding them are resovled. I do have a memory card installed but don't have anything side loaded yet.The only thing I did with my device was that I downloaded flash.

Correspondent
cybersmoke53

Oh my!!! Its happened again. I just got the 2.0.6 and now I have NO Barnes and Noble content.  My settings says I still have all my apps but I canz not getz to themz.  What now?? Do I have to erase everything again like I had to do for 2.0.5 and with lots of time and labor redownload over a 1100 books and 75 apps?

Is there any solution beside the full erase and wipe out!!!!

This is the second time!!

There is NO EXCUSE FOR THIS!!! DO YOU NOT TEST ANYTHING!!

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

from memory you do not need to mess around with the apps when you re register, they just reappear on your device, though i think you have to click on the icon to reinstall. B&N stores a record of your purchases on your account and uses that to populate the device when you re-register.

you do lose sideloaded apps, all your logins, passwords, browser favourites, wallpaper settings, wifi connections you have stored, and apps or other media  that have been withdrawn from the store since you downloaded them. not sure about shelves. :smileyfrustrated:

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

FWIW, recieved the update, all content etc still there. For those of you having problems, have you checked your profiles and made sure the all the content is checked? And out of curiousity, were you on your "main" profile when the update came through? Or an alternate adult or childprofile? (Trying to come up with possibilities on why some users are having issues and others aren't.)
Correspondent
DonMN

Here's a suggestion for B&N.  Give all your employees a Nook HD or HD+.  Before you roll out an update, roll it out to all your employee's devices. Then fix the issues. Then roll it out to your customers.

Ok, you have a lot of employees, maybe that's too many Nooks to give away.  So pick a group of employees who are avid readers and would actually use the Nook to its full capabilities

Result?  Happy employees, happy customers, more sales, more profits, happy shareholders.

Contributor
GerryF

NookGardener wrote:
FWIW, recieved the update, all content etc still there. For those of you having problems, have you checked your profiles and made sure the all the content is checked? And out of curiousity, were you on your "main" profile when the update came through? Or an alternate adult or childprofile? (Trying to come up with possibilities on why some users are having issues and others aren't.)

NookGardner,

It does seem odd that the upgrade is so inconsistent, doesn't it? You would hope that computer software would behave consistently. Considering how many times we made it safely to the moon and back... :-)

To answer your question - I only have one profile. I did check my profile after the update. It only showed the standard (now 9) apps which I was forced to check. All other apps (and books) which I had purchased in the previous 2 weeks (since I bought my nook hd) were missing.

Even stranger was that 2 of the apps appeared some time in the initial 20 minutes after the upgrade - crosswords and netflix. They weren't there after the upgrade, I tried various things (refresh apps, view archive, etc.) and after a few minutes they suddenly appeared.

I've just archived all my apps and books. I'm waiting a while and then I'll check if Apps shows archived items. I'll then try unarchiving them. I'll report back once I know.

Contributor
SPDR8CR
0 Kudos

@NookGardener

I have only ever had one profile on my Nook,so I would have been in the main profile when the update installed.  As others have mentioned, I also lost all BN content, apps and purchased books.  Some apps I was able to restore (BN stock) by editing my profile, but some apps disappeared entirely (i.e., Pandora).  These still show as installed (application data) in my settings, and when trying to "repurchase" them, the Nook store says they are already installed. 

@Wulfraed

I tried the archiving suggestion you made... archiving all content online, waiting, unarchiving and trying to refresh on the device.  I kept receiving a message that there was nothing to view in my archive on the Nook.  Nothing showed after an unarchive and refresh either.  I also tried viewing my library on the website from the device and choosing the "Download" option for books/apps.  The link would not work on the Nook, but opened immediately on my home computer.

At least I'm not alone...

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Re: No problems

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines.

Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

SPDR8CR wrote:

@NookGardener

Some apps I was able to restore (BN stock) by editing my profile, but some apps disappeared entirely (i.e., Pandora).  These still show as installed (application data) in my settings, and when trying to "repurchase" them, the Nook store says they are already installed. 

SPD8CR,

It hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned this. Having archived everything, I went to the store and search for each app. It showed as "Purchased". Tapping on the Purchased link did nothing, but if I tapped on the app itself, it took me to the detail page for that app, where a "Download" link appeared instead of the "Buy" link.Tapping on that downloaded the apps, so it looks like I have a workaround for myself

Is that what you also tried?

Contributor
SPDR8CR
0 Kudos

@GerryF

I just tried the same and I was able to retrieve some of my previous purchases.  However some apps that I bought (i.e., Angry Birds) are requiring a purchase again, even though they show in my online library and purchased with the date.

I am crossing over today!  So looking forward to having a device I can use without drama.  Though I was not thrilled about the additional $40.00. It is what it is I guess...

I like the suggestion that BN should test an update internally before releasing to their (less than) adoring public!

Contributor
SPDR8CR
0 Kudos

@GerryF

HOLD THE PHONE! Though I was able to download a couple of books previously purchased, they do not show up in my library.  I had to go back to the store, search for the book and click "Open" from there to read.  This is the case even after shutdown and restart.  The book does not show in my recent items, library, or when I search my device.

This is beginning to take years off my life. :smileyembarrassed:

Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

SPDR8CR,

Curiousier and curiousier,

I have about 40 books that I had purchased for free from B&N back when they had their "Classic Series" givaway. These books did not appear as purchased in the nook hd shop and I would have had to buy them again. Going back a half hour later, some of these now DO appear as purchased and I have downloaded them.

Back in my Freshman year of college, studying computer science, I had a professor who described computer behavior as a gopher running around, retrieving numbers and putting them into registers. I suspect B&N has some of these gophers, randomly flipping switches saying, "Yup this one's purchased. Nope, changed my mind."

"Crossing over"? What are you switching to? I was very tempted to buy a Nexus 7, but being able to put a 64Gb card into the nook hd, and the n2a project, was what convinced me to buy the nook hd.

I'm beginning to have regrets. I still have a little over a week to return this...

Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

SPDR8CR wrote:

@GerryF

HOLD THE PHONE! Though I was able to download a couple of books previously purchased, they do not show up in my library.  I had to go back to the store, search for the book and click "Open" from there to read.  This is the case even after shutdown and restart.  The book does not show in my recent items, library, or when I search my device.

This is beginning to take years off my life. :smileyembarrassed:

Try editing your profile to ensure you have access to the newly downloaded books. I didn't and had to add them. I then had to refresh my Library, tap back to the top level and go back into Books before I saw them (and only just did this after I read your post.

I agree - this is way more stressful than it should be. And all this because my daughter has effectively stolen my iPad from me. :-)