New User
DJG500
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Version 2.1 But No Google Apps Appear on Nook HD

The new 2.1 operating system was installed over-the-air- on my Nook HD, as confirmed by checking the version number under setting, the installation of Google Chrome, and the little Nook icon in the corner of the Nook Apps.

However, in the list of Apps, I don't see any of the Google Apps that were supposed to be installed with 2.1.  I don't see the Google Play Store (the only Store I have is the Nook store, as before the updtate), Google Maps, Google Play Music, etc.  I can't seem to find them anywhere on the Nook.  I have tried to install new apps using the Google Play website, but I keep getting error messages because I'm supposed to be using the Google Play Store, which I can't find.....

I have turned off and restarted my Nook HD at least twice since the 2.1 udpate, but still can't find these apps.

I spoke to someone on BN tech support about this issue (but w/o my Nook in hand).  After hearing my story, the only thing that came to his mind was to de-register the Nook and start all over.  I do NOT want to do that and I do not believe that that has to be the best solution to this issue.  Has anyone out there had a similar issue and/or (more importantly) can advise me how to fix it?  Thank you.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Re: Version 2.1 But No Google Apps Appear on Nook HD

Hi DJG500,

It sounds as though your profile isn't permissioned for these apps. To check if this is the case, please tap Apps, then in the lower left corner tap Menu -> Manage Content For Profiles.

Hope this helps!

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Reader
ann429
0 Kudos

I checked my version and the 2.1 update didn't install.  So reinstalled and everything is there now.

Reader
BugdocWI

Do this: touch and hold on your Home screen. You should see an overlay appear with Apps, Widgets, & etc appear. Pick one, find what you want, and drag to Home. Easy peasy. B&N didn't roll this out well...I found this on another post here today. You can also find a post here on how to place your old bookmarks into this feature.

New User
DJG500
0 Kudos

Thank you, Alex.  I did what you suggested and it solve my issue.  But why didn't B&N Tech Support suggest that when I called in?  Seems to me that this is a relatively simple thing for users to check before advising them to erase and de-register the device, and re-start from scratch.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

B&N Support isn't reliable. I think they're given scripts and the script probably says - Erase & Deregister fixes 50% of issues. If unsure, suggest this.

And the ones who are lazy don't read up on other issues.

Also ... only for Phone and Chat. The STore support is super. And the forum support you can see the quality yourself.