Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

Video Formats

I notice on the HD+ specifications page where your order it, that the only video formats the HD+ can use are MP4, 3GP, and WEBM.    

Can anyone tell me if this correct?   This seems strange, nearly everything I ever see is AVI or MPEG as far as I know.   And when the HD+ came out last month, I thought it listed a lot more formats as compatible.   Does anyone remember that?

Contributor
deoren
0 Kudos

Re: Video Formats

They listed AVI at the time on their main page, but on another page they did not. When I asked them about it (Twitter I think) they removed the AVI entry on their supported formats and apologized for the mistake.

Even for the formats that are supported, some of the resolutions that should be are not. Either the Nook HD+ isn't powerful enough to handle true 1920x1080 resolution mp4 videos and B&N need to update their page or the software needs additional work.
Contributor
Baby_Fark_McGee-zax
0 Kudos

I've been playing true 1080p video and for the most part it looks amazing.

I didn't encode the videos myself, the source is edx.org classes, specifically CS50x.

The videos are in mp4 format, unsure of the codec.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jafa asked:

> when the HD+ came out last month, I thought it listed a lot more formats as compatible.   Does anyone remember that? <

Not really much help to you, because I'm not sure if I'm remembering or imagining :smileywink:, but I did check out their Video Formats Supported when they were first announced (a long time ago, and not yet shipping), and the list was not only longer, but included either TS or MPEG.  I remember thinking, "It's about time".

And also that would enable me to stream MPEG2 content from my video server without having to format-convert it first.  (However, I didn't give it a lot of thought because I don't see much reason when I'm home to watch videos on a 7 or 9" display when I have several 55-61" displays and an 8-foot projection screen.  With excellent sound systems to go with them.)

.FLV was definitely there as well, along with codecs for xVID, and H264, H263.  I don't have to rely on my memory there, since those are still listed on their Developer site.  Which says nothing about WEBM, BTW.  Nor AVI.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

I did a bit more digging through my Developer Reference info, and dredged this up:

NookHD/HD+ Video Formats:  MP4, 3GP, WebM, MKV, MPEG-TS

Perhaps that's what I dimly recalled reading, though after 2 months pinning down the source is highly unlikely.  I do think I saw a longer list (as you suggested) as well, in the public information Specs.  It would be nice if at least everyone inside B&N was on the same page though, since I'm now seeing 3 different lists (i.e. the 2 dev areas don't even agree).

- Mark

P.S.  But I was correct about having seen both TS and MPEG in a B&N list.  :smileywink:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I see this on the Device Specs Page:

Video Formats .3GP, .MP4, .3G2, .FLV
Video Codecs H.263, H.264 (High, Main and Baseline profiles), MPEG-4 (Simple and Advanced), xVID
Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

When I look on the Device Specifications page, I don't see FLV, and I don't see any Codecs listed.  Could you post a link to the page that you see that, please?  Thanks.

Also, regarding Codecs, if Mpeg is not listed in formats, but is still a supported Codec, does that mean as long as I download the Codec, it should work?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Here: https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/product/nook-device-specs.html

I don't know about mpeg. I don't know much about movie formats. You should ask the dvd catalyst person at his thread where he's talking about his app. Or just buy his app. It probably supports mpeg.

Contributor
Faith95
0 Kudos

I've successfully loaded .mp4 and .m4v movies to the Nook HD and they both played well.  The only movies I've had problems with have been the animation ones.  They just don't look sharp when sideloaded.  

Reader
Shaggy9342
0 Kudos

I will confirm that MKV files can work on the HD+. But not all of them. And for the life of me, I can't figure out what's allowing some to work while others crash. So far I've had better luck with 1080p videos than anything else.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Shaggy9342, MKV is a container. The actual encoding/codec used for the movies within the MKV file differs.

So if it's an encoding Nook HD+ supports, then it works. If it doesn't then the MKV file doesn't work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks in one file.[1] It is intended to serve as a universal format for storing common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows.