Contributor
Jasonrn
0 Kudos

Videos stop playing

Hi all.  I have been trying to get videos to play on this device for some time, and struggling.

I have many DVD that I convert for my iphone.  I would also like these on the Nook.  The Nook should be able to play these same files, but it chokes.

I use Handbrake to convert the files.  They play fine on my PC.  They start playing fine on the Nook.  A little over an hour into the movie, it just stops playing.  A little dialogue box states that it cannot play the file.

Why would this be?  Why does the file play only to a certain point?

I am trying several of the Handbrake presets, to see if this makes a difference. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Videos stop playing

Lots of users recommend using DVD Catalyst. Note: I'm not connected to them in any way.

I think they have a $10 Software that will convert DVDs for you. Try that. Based on what users are saying, it works great.

Contributor
Jasonrn
0 Kudos

That is what I use.  After talking with tech support from the makers of that app, seems it might me the memory card, as the movies play fine off the internal memory.

Anyone have trouble playing off the SD cards?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Lots of people have had problems with the SD card. I can't recall whether anyone mentioned movies - just seeing duplicate files, etc.

We were installing data for one of our apps on Sd Cards on HD and HD+ and it just wouldn't work right. We had to go with only 'Save to Nook' option.

How are you moving files to SD Card?

I know there is 100% problems if Nook saves files (especially large ones) to SD Card.

I also found a few cases (very rare) where Nook was reading files wrong from SD Card.

This was with a 255 MB file. 50% of the time when writing the file there would be one or more errors or corruptions in the file.

Contributor
Jasonrn
0 Kudos

I have been using cable to move files... connecting to PC to Nook.  The case I bought for Nook covers the SD slot.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

I use DVD Catalyst and I love it, totally worth the money I spent on this software.  I convert files for the NookColor, iPod touch 4th gen, Droid X, Droid X2, and my Nook HD+.  There is a free version which I used at first so that I knew I liked it and then when I realized how much I liked it I went ahead and purchased the full product for the capabilities it offered.  I have not had any issues playing movies converted on any of my devices whether I use the device as a stand alone or connected to my TV via HDMI.

mrskooshie
Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I also use DVD Catalyst.  I mostly watch from home and not remote.  DVD Catalyst has an option under Tweaks to make the movie in streaming format.  This means moving the header info to the beginning of the file.  I have 2 home webservers, one on my NAS backup drive and one on my PC (Windows 7 Home Premium - comes with Windows).  I put my movies on both as backup.  I enable reading files on the webservers.  I open the webserver page on the nook (192.168.1.150/media/mp4 in my NAS case) and my movie file list appears.  I tap on a movie and it plays instantly.  I had to enable WebDAV on my NAS to get it to work.  I limit the size to 858 x 480.  My NC seems to choke on larger sizes.  Since DVDs are 720 x 480 this is not an issue.  

You can watch it on any PC on the network using the VLC player.  Go to that webpage, right click on the movie and click Copy link location.  In VLC click Media >> Open Network Stream and paste in the link.  Click Play.

Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1

[ Edited ]

DVD Catalyst will get you a good file.  You need to put the file on the internal memory, not an SD card.  I have had zero problems with the internal memory, and zero success with the added SD card.

I should add that I have not tried the SD card with the 2.0.5 update.  Not sure to what extent the update may have helped.

This all holds true for music files as well.

I have a SanDisk 32 class 6, the exact card that the manual says is supported.

Hope this helps.

Contributor
Jasonrn
0 Kudos

The whole reason I went with the Nook is the SD card option.  I hope I can figure this out.  I should be able to play movies off the card.  Why have the slot if I cant??

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Currently I have the N2A card in my Nook HD+ but before I had a 32GB card in and it was loaded with movies in preparation for Sandy and possible power outages. We watched numerous movies and they were as I said on the SD card.
mrskooshie
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I have about 15 movies on an 32G SD card on my HD, converted with DVD catalyst, and all play fine - no issues. Make sure to download the Movie Gallery app and try playing them through it. I think I tried playing one of my sideloaded movies from the HD Movie library, and dimly seem to recall it may have stopped playing partway through the movie.

I'm not sure though, that you can elect the option to download movies from the B&N website to store on an SD card, while also sideloading movies onto the SD card. There may be a conflict there. I attempted to elect that option after I had sideloaded my movies, and it wanted to reformat the card.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Jasonrm, one of the theories I've head is that this is an Android 4.0 issue because Android 4.0 uses MTP format.

So there might not be anything B&N can do.

Since movie files are very large in size, issues get exacerbated. What I mean is - If you have a 1 MB book or a 1.3 MB photo - there's relatively little chance of running into issues.

With a 300 MB movie or a 2 GB movie - there's a higher chance of running into instability.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

I transferred four movies to my SD card and I found only one that quit playing - I reloaded the movie and manually advanced ti to just past the point where it stopped and the movie continued to play without incident. 

I'm thinking this problem has more to do with a faulty sector on the SD Card...

Contributor
Jasonrn
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone. I purchaced a new SD card (class 4 instead of class 10).  All seems to be ok so far.  We will see how things go.