Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU B&N?? !!!!!!!

You give us a new browser and wipe out all our bookmarks and saved pages with NO WAY TO GET THEM BACK?  You give us a new browser that doesn't have Flash? 

And since you bury these forums so deep within the bowels of your website I couldn't even begin to figure out how to get back here to this site on my Nook so had to fire up my computer just to get a DECENT Bookmark in a DECENT browser that is NOT Chrome and DOES have FLASH so I could post how infuriated I am. 

I'm just flabbergasted and beyond RAGE!

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

Re: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU B&N?? !!!!!!!

OK, so I got bookmarks back thanks to another poster who figured out you have to hit the 3 dots twice to get to the import option, but no way to know if they are all there or not.  And my saved pages are gone forever.  What a fool I was to think that saving a page would be a safe thing to do without having to create a bookmark.  Why in the world would B&N create this nifty feature for us but not do anything to either replicate it somehow through Chrome or at least give us a way to recover them? 

So now, after looking at my recovered bookmarks, I realize there's no way to organize them.  No way to sort by any method, no way to choose how they display, no way to increase the font size of the bookmark names, and the names are truncated.  PLUS the recovery put them all in the reverse order they were in on the old browser so now all my frequently accessed sites which the old browser very politely kept at the top of my list are all now at the very bottom of the very long list, and they don't seem to sort automatically by frequency of access as the old browser did. 

I really don't like having to choose Desktop mode manually for each site.  It's ridiculous.  I want to see ALL sites in Desktop mode for pete's sake.  And I CAN - that's why I got the Nook HD+!!  Give me that danged option to choose a default ONCE, not every single friggin' time!

The HELP function in this Nook Chrome Frankenstein Monster wasn't even updated to reflect the changes for the port to Nook. SLOPPY SLOPPY SLOPPY - Why even include it if it's not relevant??? All the Help functions reference icons and settings that are only in the PC based Chrome version. 

And lastly (for now) I've been complaining a lot lately about how slow and laggy and jittery the old browser was and was begging for B&N to fix it.  They didn't.  Instead, they give us this Chrome semi-port that I'm not finding to be faster at all (in fact, seems to be a tad slower), is definitely jittery, and is laggy too (but perhaps not as bad as the old one), and lacks several features that I liked and which I see other folks are missing already too - like Article View.  This is an improvement???

There shouldn't be so many things to complain about.  We FINALLY get an update but instead of fixing what's there they replace it with someone else that's also not ready for prime time and  it's done so rudely and so sloppily that I can only speculate that it must have been a mandatory part of the Google/Nook deal to open up Google Play et al, stuff. 

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@BFH

You can increase the size of the bookmark icons by going into settings, tapping on advance, then accessibility, and selecting whatever size you wish it to increase.

When you next go to your bookmark page, double tap any of the icons, and all of the bookmarks will increase to the size you selected.

I'm not a fan of the "mostly" non-descript bookmark icons in Chrome, nor have I been able to figure out how to reorder the bookmarks, as you so rightly pointed out, but I do dearly LOVE the ability to use a voice search in the browser and in my library (just tap the microphone icon).

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

BFH-CA,  I really think you should consider a 3rd party browser.  For example you could purchase Dolphin and use it on multiple devices.  Since play store access is now enabled there are probably other options. Since bookmarks are a priority for you, saved pages wasn't intended for long periods of use, this would give you much more control. 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,887
0 Kudos

There are web browsers that support Flash in both the BN and Google Play stores. Just use one of them instead of Chrome.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

@BFH, you do know that Adobe stopped supporting mobile Flash last year and from what I've read, there's more and more Android tablets out there without it. I see folks complaining all the time on another site that they can't use the tools on the site because their new Android tablet doesn't support Flash.
Contributor
ejohnson53

You should not have to do that. This Chrome browser should have default settings identical to the old browser. If I wanted a tablet, I would ahve bought a tablet. The features in the Nook are what made it attrctive to use. Barnes and Noble gutted the things that made me choose it over an iPad or a Kindle. Why did they drop Articel View from an electronic device that is supposed to be an e-reader? Why did they drop Saved Web Pages. And why did they put in Chrome which has no specific Nook help funcrtions? And why did they not update the User Manual.

Chrome is not an appropriate browser. It requires far mor clicks to do things that could be done with one click. It is not inuitive and it has no resources for users. It is a disaster.

New User
A_simple_tailor

I sympathize with those who are not already in the Google ecosystem. For me, my Chrome bookmarks are much more important than my Nook bookmarks. I anticipate this change in approach to make my Nook HD a lot more useful to me.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

ejohnson53 wrote:

You should not have to do that. This Chrome browser should have default settings identical to the old browser. If I wanted a tablet, I would ahve bought a tablet. The features in the Nook are what made it attrctive to use. Barnes and Noble gutted the things that made me choose it over an iPad or a Kindle. Why did they drop Articel View from an electronic device that is supposed to be an e-reader? Why did they drop Saved Web Pages. And why did they put in Chrome which has no specific Nook help funcrtions? And why did they not update the User Manual.

Chrome is not an appropriate browser. It requires far mor clicks to do things that could be done with one click. It is not inuitive and it has no resources for users. It is a disaster.

Wow..and my first ereader's browser was so pitiful I didn't even use it. :smileyhappy: I was okay with that because I wanted an EREADER to READ with. Browsing and Media are extras, not necessary to an ereader but enhance it.

I'm finding this whole "they ruined it as an ereader and made it a tablet" not setting well with me. If you didn't want tablet functions, why did you biuy one? I'm just not getting this complaint from people. I can see being upset with losing what you had, but not that it destroys the HD as an ereader. I really do use mine as an ereader and love my HD+ for my craft books and magazines. The update has enriched functionality as an ereader for me by giving me the ability to use 3rd party apps such as Calibre Companion that actually have to do with reading.

I haven't found anything yet that took away from the reading experience.

Contributor
ejohnson53

Show me how to get the "Article View" feature back and how to play Flash and I will change my tune. It just seems B&N decided to become a 2nd tier tablet rather than a premier e-reader. Their old browser had a lot of good features not found in other browsers. That's why I bought it.It had a graceful, intuitive interface. You need to be more tech saavy to use Chrome, especially when the help function is specific for Chrome on a PC and not for the Nook. If I wanted a tablet, I could have bought an iPad. If I wanted a new browser, it would not be Chrome.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Not going to get into a debate on what constitutes a Tablet and the differences between that and a dedicated ereader such as the NST. I have both and love both. I've also had the first nook and I still own my NC.  The NC was marketed as an ereader with tablet features. The HD device is marketed more as a tablet based on reading specific features. A reader's tablet if you wish. Those tablet features are what the general public is wanting.

Go to the Nook issues forum and let them know you want those functions back. Much more productive.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
@BFH, you do know that Adobe stopped supporting mobile Flash last year and from what I've read, there's more and more Android tablets out there without it. I see folks complaining all the time on another site that they can't use the tools on the site because their new Android tablet doesn't support Flash.

Of course i know that.  But it only applies to mobile flash.  The browser on Nook does NOT have to be - and should NOT be IMO - a mobile browser.  It wasnt before.  Now it is. And it has no flash DAGNABBIT!

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Ejohnson,

As several others have already suggested in variou threads, download the dolphin browser , as it takes advantage of flash,

As to the article view, I really don' t understand the issue. If you go into settings on the chrome browser, tap advanced, then tap accessibility, you can adjust how web pages are displayed to make text larget for your tired eyes. Once you set the accessibilty size, when you go to a web page, double page, double tapping enlarges the print.

Of course, ads may be displayed on the edges, but essentially, all article view did was take away the edges, without enlarging the print much. I'm not a fan of Chrome' s smaller bookmark icons, but the ability to double tap to make them larger, plus the ability to organize bookmarks into various folders AND the much larger icons under the recently visited tab, PLUS the ability to do a voice search instead of typing more than offsets the noted drawbacks for these tired old eyes.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA

patgolfneb wrote:

BFH-CA,  I really think you should consider a 3rd party browser.  For example you could purchase Dolphin and use it on multiple devices.  Since play store access is now enabled there are probably other options. Since bookmarks are a priority for you, saved pages wasn't intended for long periods of use, this would give you much more control. 

I tried dolphin. Dont like it at all.  Thanks anyway.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

A Flash plug-in would still have to be coded using the API of the device. That tends to mean different code for Android vs iPad vs Windows Phone vs BlackBerry (and that ignores screen resolution changes and any customizations done to a device).

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
ejohnson53

laurieb52, that is a pretty sloppy work around for something that was elegant. There is no reason to have to navigate through a maze of settings to change text size yet still have to put up with all the advertizing clutter, uneven column widths and sometimes trying to figure out where the advertizing ends and the text begins. The Article View feature was the best thing I've ever seen in a browser: a single buttong that loads just the content of interest.

Your suggestion would be like turning up the volume on your TV while watching commercials instead of streaming without commercials.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

If you disable chrome in the settings, does the previous browser work? There is a setting to do that.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

I don't know if this helps. Just a suggestion. But if you use the Dolphin browser, you can download add ons that make your browser experience a little better. One of them that I use is Dolphin Reader, which is simular to the article view that was on the native browser. I switched from the B&N Dolphin browser to the one in google play store and there is a list of add ons which some are proving to be very helpful.

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

That's right there were a lot of Dolphin add ons you couldn't use with the BN Dolphin browser.  Now these will be available.  I love the Dolphin browser.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

I found the Firefox browser in the google. free apps area. It's not bad. tab/header area is light gray and much easier to see. It is an option if you can't stand google chrome.