Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU B&N?? !!!!!!!

the dolphin. reader plugin is fairly close to the reading view button - I have set it up before. It is error prone, though, much more than the bn reading view is. I took a run at rooting to install the old browser; no luck yet. I get the feeling that the move to chrome meant a lot of small changes were made, and the old browser won't be back. So far, what I see is that for most this is a great update, and for me, not as much since I had much of this before.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
ejohnson53

The Dolphin Reader is an improvement. It does not parse all the sites I read, but it is an improvement over Chrome. I've never really likes Google products. They tend to want to report back home, tying up bandwidth. And Chrome conflicts with some of the specialized scientific software I use so I can't have it on my PC. My bad experiences have made me very weary of software coming from Google.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

I wish I could LIKE your post a thousand times.

I've never really likes Google products. They tend to want to report back home, tying up bandwidth

Google, contrary to whatever they might claim don't really know how to make software. I think it stems from two things -

a) Thay have never 'sold' software so the bar was always low.

b) They have a 'throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks' approach. That means the stuff that sticks is just as unpolished as the stuff that doesn't stick.

They are trying to an extent now. However, they have lots of conflicting things (data collection, behavior mapping) and that gets in the way of making beautiful, easy to use and understand software.

New User
A_simple_tailor
0 Kudos

Re: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU B&N?? !!!!!!! (ArticleView)

I forced an early upgrade to my Nook HD. National Geographic still shows in ArticleView, so that software is on the device somewhere. Apparently, my Time Magazine is showing up in Chrome and will not adjust to landscape. I tried loading Dolphin and "setting it as default," but the Dolphin menu for doing this seems to have no effect on the HD. The transition is a little rough but I think the fundamentals are in place.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

I continue to read all the new posts from folks about the aftermath of the recent "update" (aka downgrade) and i just keep getting more and more upset with BN for this stupidity, insensitivity to the user base, and total failure to address us and our concerns in any way at all.

Things are broken, missing, slower, less efficient, less user friendly, less than the Nooks we originally bought and BN hasnt uttered a single peep of concern.  Even Alex is silent.  And the fact that support folks online, onphone, and instore dont seem to have a clue about any of these changes, problems, and how to address/resolve them is outrageous. 

Im glad i bought my nook but im not glad i have to depend on bn to support it.  This fiasco makes me believe this is the end of the line for nook as we know it and i will soon enough have a device that is no longer updated - or even downgraded - at all, by anyone.  Just another dust collector whose non-replaceable battery has burned out completely because of the huge battery drain from all this google garbage that i did not opt-in for.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Actually, I'm delighted with the new update/ UPgrade.  My Nook functions as well as it did before--but now it can do so much more!  I followed the advice of people here in regards to turning off automatic updating and backing out of apps properly, and my battery is doing just as well as it did before.  Frankly, I can't grasp why first people whined and moaned that we didn't have Google Play Store and Kindle and Zinio and free apps...now that we do, and people are whining and moaning about it!   

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

I'm with you, BFCoughlin. There was exactly ONE app I wanted, and now I have it without having to resort to either rooting or using sd card method.And once turned off location services, battery life returned to old happy self.(VERY thankful to FT or roustabout for pointing this out.)

JMO, some of these complaints could have been avoided if the update hadnt included turning on/check-boxing every single always-on,always syncing, who cares about battery life function on with the update. If you're familiar with android/GP (and already experienced the fully charged phone being fully drained 7or 8 hours later, when you've barely used it), its not so bad, at least you have an idea of where to look and what needs to be changed.

But I can see how people who were happy with their device as they bought it (no GP), get the update, and dont add any new apps are now a little frustrated. They're having to jump through a lot of hoops, check a lot of settings just to get their device functioning back to how it was before.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

This:

JMO, some of these complaints could have been avoided if the update hadnt included turning on/check-boxing every single always-on,always syncing, who cares about battery life function on with the update

It's interesting to see people realize the grass on the other side isn't 100% organic wholesome grass.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

BFCoughlin: Actually, I'm delighted with the new update/ UPgrade.  My Nook functions as well as it did before--but now it can do so much more!  I followed the advice of people here in regards to turning off automatic updating and backing out of apps properly, and my battery is doing just as well as it did before.  Frankly, I can't grasp why first people whined and moaned that we didn't have Google Play Store and Kindle and Zinio and free apps...now that we do, and people are whining and moaning about it!

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

It's interesting to see people realize the grass on the other side isn't 100% organic wholesome grass.

Wait ... You mean having the bull fertilizing the field isn't the best?

:cattongue:

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

The double tap on the three dots doesn't work for me. Could it be because I re-added some of my favorites I remembered? I was really upset when all my favorites were gone after the update. You'd think B&N would have been able to import that with the upgrade...
´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Also, does anyone know how to get the favorites bookmarks to just appear instead of having to hit the three dots and then tapping on Bookmarks? That is another annoying thing about this upgrade.

Thanks!
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

At the bottom of the screen, you have 3 options. Most visited, Bookmarks, and Other Devices. Seem to open to Most Visited. (you can tell which one you are in because of the blue bar.) Tap Bookmarks.

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

At the bottom of the screen, you have 3 options. Most visited, Bookmarks, and Other Devices. Seem to open to Most Visited. (you can tell which one you are in because of the blue bar.) Tap Bookmarks.

Thanks!  But before the update, the bookmarks thumbs were there when I went to the web.  Now I have to go to the menu and click on bookmarks to get them to appear every time.  Is there a way to just have them be viewed that way like they were before?

I know, how lazy can I be?  But it's so annoying to have to do things you didn't have to do before.  You'd think things would be made easier, not with more steps to get to the end product...

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Try Dolphin then. You can set the opening page to access 8 or 10 pages. Yes, your bookmarks appear to left side and you will have to tap again. On the ither hand, you can actually organize them so they arent helter-skelter!