Reader 2
semitech
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Web url changes from "www" to "m" in Nook HD Browser

When I manually type a web address like "http://www.example.com" it changes to http://m.example.com. Then I get a "Page Not Found" error. I'm using a Nook HD v 2.06

What's happening, and how can I get the Nook browser to accept what I type and not change it?

NOOK HD
Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Re: Web url changes from "www" to "m" in Nook HD Browser

Not sure how to get it to stay what you put in but the m is for mobile. A lot of major sites now provide these sites for better viewing on mobile phones and tablets. What browser are you using? I use the dolphin browser and have not had any problems. Good luck.
Reader 2
semitech
0 Kudos

I'm using the stock Nook HD browser: I don't know what it's name is.

I looked in  Settings|Web|Advanced and see an option called "Desktop Mode: Request Desktop version of webites by default."  This was unchecked. Could having this unchecked result in the browser actually changing the URL that I manually typed?

NOOK HD
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

[ Edited ]

Tap on your settings cogwheel

Tap on Browser Settings

Tap on Advanced on the left side

On the right side, tap to checkmark Desktop Mode

Now your browser won't try to force mobile sites.

You're welcome.

edit: semitech beat me by 50 seconds, lol

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Schwa's solution will work. I'd recommend downloading the Dolphin browser just to see if you like it more. It's quite nifty.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

semitech,

The browser is not changing the URL.  Many websites check the user agent setting of your browser and automatically switch to the mobile version of the website.  There is no way for the browser to know what the mobile URL for a website is.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am experiencing the same issue and it's really annoying.  And I have to say that I don't know why this thread issue is marked as SOLVED because it's not (sorry Schwa - but you still deserve Kudos for posting the settings information).  Changing the settings to try and force the browser to NOT let a site change to their mobile view does not work - at least not so that it prevents this problem from continuing to happen to the OP and to me and to many others, I'm sure.

What DOES work for me - but it's only a work-around - is that when I hit a site that decides it wants to show me it's crippled mobile view (even though I may have had the same site open in another tab in normal view), I open a brand NEW tab and go to the site on that one.  The site will open in normal Desktop mode in the new tab.  And I do have my settings config'd to force the Desktop version of webites by default.

SOLVED would be if the B&N development crew would get off their arses and actually provide some relevant and way overdue fixes to issues like this and several others that folks here mention, and ones that I am beginning to experience for the first time that are really making me angry at B&N.  The way they react to issues you'd think they've got only one lonely little developer tech somewhere chained in a closet and who is only allowed to code on every other Free Friday in months without the letter R.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

BFH-CA wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue and it's really annoying.  And I have to say that I don't know why this thread issue is marked as SOLVED because it's not (sorry Schwa - but you still deserve Kudos for posting the settings information).  Changing the settings to try and force the browser to NOT let a site change to their mobile view does not work - at least not so that it prevents this problem from continuing to happen to the OP and to me and to many others, I'm sure.

What DOES work for me - but it's only a work-around - is that when I hit a site that decides it wants to show me it's crippled mobile view (even though I may have had the same site open in another tab in normal view), I open a brand NEW tab and go to the site on that one.  The site will open in normal Desktop mode in the new tab.  And I do have my settings config'd to force the Desktop version of webites by default.

SOLVED would be if the B&N development crew would get off their arses and actually provide some relevant and way overdue fixes to issues like this and several others that folks here mention, and ones that I am beginning to experience for the first time that are really making me angry at B&N.  The way they react to issues you'd think they've got only one lonely little developer tech somewhere chained in a closet and who is only allowed to code on every other Free Friday in months without the letter R.

Again, this has everything to do with web developers grabbing client data to display the website and less to do with your jihad against BN.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

BFH-CA wrote:

Again, this has everything to do with web developers grabbing client data to display the website and less to do with your jihad against BN.

Thanks for making me giggle Toastr.  My "Jihad" has only come to fruition today after struggling with the issues I've posted about tonight and finally getting fed up.

And I'm afraid I have to disagree with you regarding the web developers schemes for grabbing client data as the cause of this problem, but I do agree that it has nothing to do with my "Jihad". :-)  The problem does lie, though, 100% percent within the coding of the default NOOK HD+ browser. 

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

BFH-CA: In order for changes to take effect you need to restart the browser. In order to do so you need to close the last open tab. Simply reopening the browser will not do it. If you still had open tabs when you changed the settings then they did not yet get applied. Mr Toaster is correct that this same function works on all mobile browsers. I use Dolphin on my HD+ which was also set to mobile by default and I had to change to desktop mode and restart the app. Do the makers of the popular Dolphin browser also need to learn how to code?
Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:
BFH-CA: In order for changes to take effect you need to restart the browser. In order to do so you need to close the last open tab. Simply reopening the browser will not do it. If you still had open tabs when you changed the settings then they did not yet get applied. Mr Toaster is correct that this same function works on all mobile browsers. I use Dolphin on my HD+ which was also set to mobile by default and I had to change to desktop mode and restart the app. Do the makers of the popular Dolphin browser also need to learn how to code?

Schwa - Didn't occur to me to close ALL tabs in browser to make change effective at the time I configured the setting, but I have closed all browser tabs since that time - a few times - to try to resolve other issues (like browser crashing) and it has not prevented sites from loading their mobile view.  Seems to happen after I've used the same tab to go to multiple sites over time, so that even if all the others opened in Desktop mode, at some point my browser will suddenly decide to allow Mobile.  The effect is as though after opening multiple sites, the browser "forgets" that I told it not to allow it..