Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

What's the difference between move to cloud and archive?

Hello all,

I've been moving to cloud all day long, but when I went to the website, the books are still showing in my library as unarchived.  So, do I still need to archive them?  What exactly does moving an item into the "cloud" do?

Reader
dogwiz
0 Kudos

Re: What's the difference between move to cloud and archive?

Good question. I would like to know as well "How to archive my books on HD+?" I have over 400 books and when I archive them I want them off my library list. This allows me to see all the non read books. I like archive for when I might want to read it again. The cloud might save space but, doesn't disappear off the library like archive.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Actually this sounds like it may be a positive if this is the beavior it does.  Archiving has been infamous for removing an item from all devices on an account.  Maybe, hopefully, this solves that?

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

I'm with dogwiz and 2noelle....when I send a book or app "away" I want it off all of my lists except the "Archived" list.

I wouldn't mind a "Cloud" list if items would automatically go there and get off my other listings when I "clouded" them.

Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I too am with the "I sent it away to the cloud and I want it to disappear from the library" group.  I use the archive feature to remove the books from the local device to save space as well as the effort of having to roll past EVERYTHING I have on the Nook.  I would rather have a view stuff in the cloud option on the Library menu than to see everything whenever I visit the library.  If I need to see what I have stored I can go to the See the Cloud Storage option similar to going to the Archive shelf in the NC.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Good points that I didn't think about.  Well, it was just a guess on my part on why it was doing t hat anyways :smileytongue:

New User
DjinTonic

With the current software, you can only UNarchive on the Nook. To archive you have to go to your PC. I hope they will change this in a new release. If they do, I don't see much difference between Clouding and archiving.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

I noticed as well that Archiving from the device is gone on the HD+.  As was already said you can still archive from your PC (I do it at the website, havn't tried the Nook PC software).  So clearly Archiving and Moving to the Cloud are two different animals.  For clarity here's what I read in the manual regarding the Cloud:

"To save space on your device, you can move Library items to NOOK Cloud, the cloud-based storage service included with your NOOK account.  once you move items to NOOK Cloud, they take up almost no space on your NOOK.  Only the cover and a brief description of each item remains. You can re-download these items at any time by tapping on their covers.  A green down-arrow on an item's cover indicates that it is available for downloading."

Personally I don't see much use for Move to Cloud for books or apps, but for movies it seems perfect.  I hope they add the option to arcive from the devices as well but that may be confusing to a new NOOK user.

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

If you made a book shelf just for cloud stored books that might be helpful. I actually need to access my archived books occasionally (books on accounting/economics) etc. I have the NT but have the HD+ on my christmas list.
Bibliophile
laurieb52

[ Edited ]
I had several book archived on my NT, and went to unarchive them on my HD 7 inch. Although I was able to unarchive them on the HD, they do not show up on the main "books" page at the top of the page (sorted by most recent),after they are unarchived. Neither do they show up with a search. I was eventually able to find them by going to shelves, and tapping on "manage content on shelves". Talk about a major glitch....
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
couch-potato
0 Kudos

Archiving books from your PC works, but I have also found that if you have an older Nook version you can archive via that Nook, which will in turn sync with your HD and remove them from your Nook HD library and place them in the Archive file

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This is less of a feature for me and more of a pain. Archiving on one device now archives from all?

What if I want it on my HD+ but not on my Color?

Anyways, thanks for mentioning this. Was beginning to think I was losing my head with apps disappearing etc.

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

I've found that archiving on one Nook device means archiving on all. If the devices are syncing, then when you archive a book or magazine, then for me, that means I'm done reading it or I just want to put it in the archives for later.
Unarchiving would mean that the book would be available for download on other Nook devices. I'm all good with the archiving thing, it's the middle ground with "Nook Cloud" I'm not grasping too well. :smileyhappy:
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ 5ivedom,

The archiving feature has always worked so if you archive on one device, it's archived on others once they are connected to wi-fi, as it's related to the "syncing" of reading across multiple devices. This has often been a complaint related to the smaller storage devices like the nook simple touch, when there is insufficient memory to download all books, requiring you to archive some, even though there is sufficent memory on the NC or NT.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Can syncing be turned off on the HD or other devices so tht diff users can see what they want on each device?

New User
carolinagirl64
0 Kudos

Archiving on the Nook HD needs to be done on your "online library" on a computer.  Archive the book there and then refresh your Nook when done. the book will be archived and disappear from your Nook.  it works for me.  I have no idea what the cloud is for. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Cloud removes an app or book from a device, archive removes the item from all devices.

Items moved to the cloud still visible in your device library, archived items must be viewed in the archive.  Items in the cloud may still be active on your phone or a different nook. Archived items are removed from all of your devices.

Frequent Contributor
rdut

You can still archive from your Nook HD by holding down the volume key and pressing on a book cover you will get a menu that has an archive choice.
New User
kv1995
0 Kudos

Thank you that totally worked for me!!
Frequent Contributor
seacitylady

I have a NC & HD+so I archive from my NC. I mainly archive magazines after I've read them, particularly the ones that come weekly, as they take up too much space on the NC. Even after I archive a mag from the NC it will stay on the HD+ until I do a soft reset to refresh. "

Books are not too much of a problem as a lot of my books are sideloads. When I'm finished I just remove them from the device. Since these books are stored in Calibe I can always reload them if I want to. The sideloads don't "sync" so I do have to remember to remove them from both devices. I love Calibre Companion as it makes it so easy to add/remove books wirelessly. I just wish it worked for the unrooted NC.

I didn't think I would use my NC much after I got the HD+ but that not proved to be the case. It is a better size for travel & to carry in my purse for "wait times," It also has a much longer battery life then the HD+. I just wish I could use Calibre Companion, the Zinio reader & Crackle on the NC. Maybe someday - but that's probably wishful thinking. I don't think BN plans to do anything more to upgrade that device.