Frequent Contributor
HowlMC
0 Kudos

When sideloading books, do you have to use Calibre

I have many books that I've used Calbre to convert to proper EPUB files. Then I connect the Nook HD+ and then drag and drop files to it. So does it make a difference with the shelves issue how they are side loaded?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: When sideloading books, do you have to use Calibre

[ Edited ]

HowlMC wrote:

I have many books that I've used Calbre to convert to proper EPUB files. Then I connect the Nook HD+ and then drag and drop files to it. So does it make a difference with the shelves issue how they are side loaded?

No, you do not have to use Calibre. For all drm free compatible files, you can just drag and drop them onto your device. For the HD and HD+, you can also drag and drop DRM encrypted files to your device without other software as ADE is already on the device.

Other devices require ADE on your PC to transfer the ebooks that are locked with DRM encryption. You can go to Adobe's website and download it for free. This is what you use to get public library ebooks onto your device as well if you don't have the Overdrive App.

Calibre is for library management. You can add all your ebooks to it, and it helps you keep track of what you own. If it is missing information or a cover, you can have Calibre go look for it and download it for you. Calibre will automatically sort your books by Author, Title, series, tags, date added, size of file, language and a couple of others I don't remember off hand. Calibre will also convert DRM free books to formats that your ereader uses so that you can buy books from other venders such as nonDRM kindle books. You CAN add DRM books to the library and have Calibre manage them for you but you can not view them or convert them them if they are have the DRM security encryption on them.

By the way, Calibre is FREE software!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

One of the advantage of using Calibre is that often when you download a book from another site, it will be named something that you would never figure out what book it is. Kobo books always have a string of numbers for the names.

Calibre will read the data in the book though and tell you what it is so you can rename it before you load it to your device. The device only reads the file name so it's good to have it named well before you load it.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

I do not use calibre to convert my files. I go to www.convertfiles.com and do it. Then I either usb my Nook HD+ to my pc or drop them into dropbox and transfer them wirelessly. I have over 150 sideloaded books on my Nook.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

yes, I also use dropbox. Used it for the last few years until I figured out how to set up Calibre so I could use my web browser to access it and download my books without hooking up. I like having everything in ONE spot, can browse by author, cover, whatever so I can decide if I want to download it or not. I'm quite okay with it sitting on my PC until I want it. I don't seem to need or use dropbox too much anymore. I like this better. I have more control over my library. I have over 6000 books between my BN content and my non BN content. I have it all loaded on my NC, but now that I have the server set up, I don't feel the need to do that on my HD+. It's too easy to just D/L as I want it. And it's already shelved for me on the server so I can find what I want too easy. :smileyhappy: