Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Which Dolphin?

I'd like to add the Dolphin browser. Would it be better to get it from the B&N store or GP. Does it matter?

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

Re: Which Dolphin?

Try the one in the google play store. There are more add ons to use than what there is in the B&N Dolphin browser. If you don't like it, you can always switch back. They do at least have a Dolphin Reader add on that is close to what the article view was in the stock browser.

jamartMF
0 Kudos

GP asked to replace my BN Dolphin with its version.  It would be better to get the GP one IMHO so that you can get the add ons that he BN version does not allow.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

I'd like to add the Dolphin browser. Would it be better to get it from the B&N store or GP. Does it matter?

I had the Nook version and after the update was asked if I wanted to replace it with the GP version. I did and see no difference in function. There are a number of interesting addons available in the GP store, particularly the Dolphin Reader which is supposed to offer functionality similar to the Article View in old stock browser (haven't tried it yet).  Bottom line, I would get the GP version, but don't think it matters.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

Please try Dolphin with Amazon Instant Videos or any trailer on imdb or yahoo. Not working for me.

junonia-shell
0 Kudos

I tried with yahoo and imdb, and those 2 worked for me. I don't do Amazon Instant video so I wouldn't know. I did update my flash plugin, but through the google play store. So I don't know if maybe that's the reason that the videos worked for me or not.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

Thanks for trying those, now I know it is on my end. I will update the plugin and try again. I much rather use Dolphin than Puffin even though I paid for the latter.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

Am I correct that Play Store app for Dolphin is a later software version than in the Nook Store?

I uninstalled Dolphin and used the one in Nook store. Now I get the videos working I had a problem viewing before.

New User
CottageRoses
0 Kudos

Hello junonia ... which flash plug-in do you use from Google Play?

junonia-shell
0 Kudos

The Adobe Flash plugin. I originally had it from the B&N store. When I went to the google play store and checked on all my apps that I have through google play, there was an update for the flash plugin. When I updated it, it was replaced with this one instead of the one from B&N.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

I did not update the plugin, just uninstalled Dolphin I was using from the Play Store and went with the app in the nook store. Maybe the plugin updated itself or was compatible to begin with.

If I updated the plugin from the Play Store maybe I would not have needed to use Dolphin from the nook store.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

FWIW, already had the Dolphin browser from nook store. Didnt feel like archiving/deleting it to get same thing from GP. But did download the Dilphin Reader add-on from GP. It worked fine the few times I used it. So doesnt seem to care which version.

For everyone thats unhappy about Article View no longer being on option, are you aware you can do something very similar with Dolphin? It doesnt work on all websites (depends on how site is constructed, etc) but works on a lot of them.  Simply pinch/zoom the screen so the text is the size you want it, then double tap and the text will reflow. (If it is a multi-page article, and you have option to view as a single page, change it to single page view first -then do the zoom & tap.  Youll save yourself some work.)

Hope that helps somebody.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing this, NookGardener

For everyone thats unhappy about Article View no longer being on option, are you aware you can do something very similar with Dolphin? It doesnt work on all websites (depends on how site is constructed, etc) but works on a lot of them.  Simply pinch/zoom the screen so the text is the size you want it, then double tap and the text will reflow. (If it is a multi-page article, and you have option to view as a single page, change it to single page view first -then do the zoom & tap.  Youll save yourself some work.)