Contributor
a13b
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Why is Triposo from Google Play not compatible with Nook HD?

A few users reported that the World Travel Guide by Triposo app from Google Play cannot be installed on Nook HD.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.triposo.droidguide.world&hl=en

The actual error message is not very useful, as it does not say what exactly is missing from the device: """

This app is incompatible with your BN LLC BNTV400.

BN LLC BNTV400
This item is not compatible with your device.

"""

Why exactly the app is not "compatible" with Nook HD?

Below are the device features used by the app. We thought that the ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION might be blamed, but the app can work also without GPS (as the GPS sensor can very well be deactivated by the user).

<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
          android:installLocation="preferExternal"
          ...>
  <supports-screens
      android:smallScreens="true"
      android:normalScreens="true"
      android:largeScreens="true"
      android:xlargeScreens="true"
      android:anyDensity="true"/>
  <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="7" android:targetSdkVersion="14"/>
  <!-- Required to access Google Play Licensing -->
  <uses-permission android:name="com.android.vending.CHECK_LICENSE" />
  <!-- Required to keep CPU alive while downloading files (NOT to keep screen awake) -->
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
  <!-- Required to check whether Wi-Fi is enabled -->
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE"/>
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION"/>
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION"/>
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE"/>
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/>

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Why is Triposo from Google Play not compatible with Nook HD?

Contributor
a13b
0 Kudos

I am the developer
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

You're asking in the wrong area. You need to go to the support area here:

https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I was able to install your app to an hd+ using Titanium.  Not sure why the play store says your app is not compatible.  Also not sure if it's a BN question or a Google question?

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Do you have a block list or a whitelist?

If there is a manifest it uses manifest compatibility. But first it checks your whitelist or blocklist. Perhaps you have Nook unselected in there.

Contributor
a13b
0 Kudos

@5ivedom I posted the app requirements from AndroidManifest in the initial message (see above). Not sure what could cause the incompatibility.

The Google Play Developer Console shows for the app "Excluded devices: 0". I clicked on the "Supported devices" list and searched: nook, bn, barnes, but no nook device showed up, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to block nook devices.

I created a developer account on nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com to be able to submit a support request, but I can't do it yet because I need a "Vendor ID" which should be available in my account page somewhere, but my account page sais "Your qualification application is pending review for the email address X and you should hear back from us shortly".

Waiting for the account approval.. 

Thanks,

Alex

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@roustabout:

You have root though. Unless something has changed, I didn't think Titanium worked on non-rooted devices. I think he's concerned with the people who don't have it as well and that would be much harder to do unless they sideload it. Maybe. I haven't tried it because I have mine hybrid rooted and don't want to reset it to try it.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I was just reporting it to let him know that the device works fine on HD+ hardware - that there was not some bizarre bug which he was missing.  

As I looked at the list of permissions, I'm wondering if "prefer to install on external" may be a problem for the HD/HD+ line of devices.  I'm also not sure if the variant of google location that only has access to location via wifi supports fine-grained location?  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

@roustabout

No, I was wondering if Titanium now worked on non-rooted devices. I guess I didn't word that well. Anyway, I downloaded it to my hybrid root and it won't work on that so it must have to be full, internal root. Even though I have SU access, it won't recognize anything.

Sorry.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

In your GDC check the Supported Devices for "BNTV400" and "BNTV600". For whatever reason those model names are the device names for Google Play.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, this is it I think:

In your GDC check the Supported Devices for "BNTV400" and "BNTV600". For whatever reason those model names are the device names for Google Play

roustabout
0 Kudos

Wallacegal writes "I downloaded it to my hybrid root and it won't work on that so it must have to be full, internal root."

It worked fine for me while I was using the CM10 hybrid card /data on internal memory method.  In fact, by being sure I knew where my BN-run backups lived in storage, I was able to restore the apps I wanted under into the CM10 environment. 

You should take a look at your SU config, and also be patient after launching Titanium.  Sometimes it takes a few seconds to ask for root privileges, and if your SU app treats 'no answer' as 'permanently denied' it may get itself into trouble. 

Contributor
a13b
0 Kudos

In Google Play Developer Console I went to the app's page, APK, "Manage excluded devices". I selected the "Unsupported" category. There I found that indeed NOOK HD appears in the "Unsupported" category. Unfortunately it's not possible to change that, the enable/disable button is deactivated:

unsupported.png

Maybe this is caused by one of the "requirements", any idea which one is not satisfied by the Nook?

requirements.png

Thanks,

Alex

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
does 'fine location' depend on gps? try dropping it and see if the nooks satisfy the requirement? Or drop gps from 'features' in case those are required device features for support?
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Shooting in the dark (along with everyone else)...

The GPS feature — did you put the android:required attribute on the uses-feature tag?

<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.name.GPS" android:required="false" />

The default is to require the hardware.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, it should be the GPS.

Also it supports only 4 screen sizes and not x-large. That would rule out HD+ but should not stop HD.

All the things (permissions) it is asking for, are probably aren't available on Nook HD since there's no GPS. So even if you got it to instlal it would just crash.

roustabout

[ Edited ]

5, this app runs fine and looks good on my hd+.

Which has had working location since november, once I figured out how to enable it with sqlite - getting location from wifi mac address triangulation is one of google's big successes.

New User
Arrggh
0 Kudos

I have many navigation and location apps giving the same message in google play, it seems like anything that uses GPS. 

Admittedly the Nook HD has no internal GPS, but I was easily able to get a bluetooth GPS working on it with the Bluetooth GPS helper app.   It actually works well with google maps, but interestingly the version of google maps I have and that I get when I reinstall the google maps from google play is a special BN version, based on the name of the installation files.  So I can't get the regular version.

The problem with this is the NAV part of google maps is absent in that version.  I badly want the inline version of google maps with the NAV function and I know it all works OK.

Installing apps is a problem with the nook, because of something they have done.  It's still somewhat locked up.  I would be interested in a solution to this.  I did complain to the nook support about the lack of NAV in google maps caused by it being a special version.

I thought BN mostly opened this thing all up.  Apparently not, or they forgot.

New User
Arrggh
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

5, this app runs fine and looks good on my hd+.

Which has had working location since november, once I figured out how to enable it with sqlite - getting location from wifi mac address triangulation is one of google's big successes.

I'd like to hear more about that enable in sqlite. 

Can you please elaborate?