Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Why is Triposo from Google Play not compatible with Nook HD?

I think that if you're running the update that enables the Google play store, you can simply tick the location services tickboxes in the settings pane to get it - that is enough with my device, although once I did it, I needed to re-tick it when Maps asked me to do so. 

The version of maps for the Nook will give me driving directions.  I don't think they're audible, but I've never tried putting the HD+ into the car and testing that out.  My ICS phone has a separate skin for Maps called Navigation (and it shows up as a second app in the apps drawer) but I didn't find an APK for it and think it's an HTC Sense thing.  My Samsung Note 8 has GPS, but no app called "navigation " built in and none show up in the Play store if I look. 

On both the Nook and the Note, if I long press on a location I'm offered a popup which will serve up driving directions or a street view if I ask it to.  But I don't know that the directions would be spoken out loud as they are on my phone. 

What I don't know is where the maps came from on the HD+ any more.  I could not find one in the BN shop, and it might have been part of the root tool that I used, although I think that I only rooted and did not install a gapps once I reset to get the update - I wanted to see what the BN implementation looked like and at this point the HD+ is a tertiary device that isn't getting a lot of use. 

If you want to check to see if the setting is enabled, this is a pretty good description of how to get there from Leapinlar on XDA.  It assumes you're rooted:

"Open the settings database in settings storage. Click on the secure table. Look for location providers allowed. In the value, it was originally blank. Type in network"

[I think that if you've ticked the tickbox in settings, this field is going to be populated with network already]

"Then install Google maps. You can get it on someone0's gapps thread. Then go to settings, device info, developers options and toggle the mock locations checkbox until the allow Google location dialog box pops up. Say ok. You are done."

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
a13b
0 Kudos

I looked in AndroidManifest.xml but there we have no <uses-feature> tags, only <uses-permission> tags. I looked to see what's the difference; according to the documentation an uses-permission tag can imply a uses-feature tag, and the default for a uses-feature tag is required=true!

I used "aapt dump badging Triposo.apk" and it lists some implied features:

uses-feature:'android.hardware.location'
uses-implied-feature:'android.hardware.location','requested a location access permission'

uses-feature:'android.hardware.location.gps'
uses-implied-feature:'android.hardware.location.gps','requested android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION permission'

uses-feature:'android.hardware.location.network'
uses-implied-feature:'android.hardware.location.network','requested android.permission.ACCESS_COURSE_LOCATION permission'

uses-feature:'android.hardware.touchscreen'
uses-implied-feature:'android.hardware.touchscreen','assumed you require a touch screen unless explicitly made optional'

Then I declared the implied features as non-required.

<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.location" android:required="false"/>
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.location.gps" android:required="false"/>
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.location.network" android:required="false"/>

Now "aapt dump badging" shows:

uses-feature-not-required:'android.hardware.location'
uses-feature-not-required:'android.hardware.location.gps'
uses-feature-not-required:'android.hardware.location.network'

I'll test when we release the next version that it's available on NOOK HD!

Thanks!

PS. 5ivedom, I don't understand what you are saying about the x-large screen size, we do declare it as being supported. Anyway, will check when I upload the new apk.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

@ Roustabout,

No, the directions are not audible. They work like they do on the iPhone Google Maps app. A map, printed driving directions if you want them as well, but no voice nav.

And yes, once the update to allow the Play Store came through, all I did was download Maps and then tick the Locations in the settings. So it works. What I don't like is the Make Availailable Offline option because it doesn't make the nav available. It gives you a box that you can squeeze part of the map into and then save that. I want the driving directions, not just the map.

Oddly enough, I tried the voice search and just said Hello and it's working similar to Google Now in that it gave me a myriad of choices in my area with 'hello' in the name/title/what-have-you. Doesn't give me the 'cards', but I imagine that will come. Too bad I can't get that on my phone, but I'll never have Jelly Bean on it thanks to Motorola's idiot wisdom.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

so, I dug a little further on the note, and turn by turn, audible nav is available - there is a tiny blue arrowhead on long-presing a mapped item which, when touched, lunches the license for nav and the activates gps.

I am unable to pair the note and nook so I wasn't able to go past that, but as I was googling I saw mention of waze. waze might be able to work with a paired gps receiver?

I'm also unable to pair my phone;  I know that worked under cm10, as a gps source, so I suspect BN only enabled media and keyboard protocols - even transfer isn't working.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, let us know how it goes.

Contributor
a13b

I uploaded the new apk in "Alpha testing" and there I can see NOOK is supported. Will release hopefully soon.

Thanks for your help!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Great. Best of luck. Hope it works for Nooks now.

Contributor
a13b