Contributor
madylarian
0 Kudos

Why is my battery suddenly draining so quickly?

It seemed to start happening right after the update last week.  I've played some games, read some books, check a website or 2 occasionally, but that's it.  It seems that the only way to keep the battery from draining completely in less than 12 hours is by turning it off completely whenever it's not in use.  And when on I only get about 4-6 hours of battery.  I'm convinced it was the update and all of the over-blown and unwanted apps forced on us.  I've turned off all of the location stuff but as for the rest of it, I'd call it bloatware.  Is there any way we can uninstall this update?  Is B&N going to do anything about this?

madylarian

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Why is my battery suddenly draining so quickly?

be sure that you change the auto update setting in the google play store to 'disabled' too, and turn auto checking email. my hd+ sat for ~3 days last week and only lost ~20% of charge.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
EB451
0 Kudos

I've been experiencing the exact same problem. My Nook HD's battery life was great before the 2.1 update. After the update, I'm repeatedly getting extreme battery drain on idle. I too have turned off the location services. I've also disabled the Google Play Store from automatically updating apps. I've rebooted the tablet, but the battery drain on idle continues. I charged it last a day ago, put it to "sleep", and when I checked it earlier today, I had 8% battery left. I did not use the Nook at all in that time.

The battery usage line graph showed the battery draining slowly initially, but then the line took a nose dive (almost a completely vertical drop). The details below it showed that "Tablet Idle" used 80% of the battery. What on earth is this doing to use up so much battery so fast? I've e-mailed Nook Support about this, so we'll see what sort of response I get. This battery drainage is ridiculous, so they'd better have a solution.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the battery drain? Any other settings I should check? I've just turned off Backup Settings, so we'll see if that makes a difference. Short of just turning the Nook completely off when not in use, I'm not sure what else to do.

New User
EB451
0 Kudos

roustabout, my auto update setting in Google Play Store is off, and auto checking e-mail is off, but I still experience the excessive battery drain on idle. As I mentioned in my other post, I just turned off Backup Settings, so we'll see if that makes a difference.
Contributor
madylarian
0 Kudos

I've had Backup Settings off the whole time; it made no difference.

mady

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

When you got the update, did you install any new apps or even open up any of the "forced upon you" apps?  Someone mentioned in another thread that Play Books was continually running in the background. 

Probably the easiest way to figure out whats running in the background is to get the app killer, see whats running in the background all the time, and then adjust the settings on those apps accordingly. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What Nook Gardener wrote.

Before Update:

Not many apps running all the time in the background downloading data and uploading data.

After Update:

All the Google Apps running. Any apps you update.

Keep in mind that Google Play Apps are often free. To make money they download ads and run always in the background. And they upload data to sell user behavior data to firms that collate that.

So you'll have to get App Killer from Nook Store or an App Manager from Google Play Store.

1) Figure out what's running all the time.

2) Disable these apps in your Profile Settings.

2b) Uninstall the ones you can.

3) Now check battery performance. You'll see noticeable improvements.

New User
EB451
0 Kudos

Thanks, Nook Gardener and 5ivedom for the tip about App Killer. Will definitely install it. Last night, I turned off the Backup Settings, charged the Nook back up to 100%, and put it to sleep. I haven't used it at all today, other than to turn it on occasionally to check the battery level. Now, it's been 18 hours since I charged it, and the battery only drained 3%. So far so good. I should note that I have Wi-Fi on. I want to keep tracking it like this for another day or so to see if I get any other nose dives in battery drain.
Contributor
madylarian
0 Kudos

I did not add any apps and I don't even think I opened any.  Except for the games I play and the one weather program, all of which I had before the update, I don't "do" apps, not even on Facebook.  The thing is that I should NOT have to do this!!!!!!  If I had wanted all that stuff I would have bought a real tablet.  Even Microsoft gives you the chance to choose what you install.

I saw the list of "My Apps" and I'm tempted to uninstall most of them.  Why do I need them?

mady

New User
skatardrummer
0 Kudos

Mine started doing that with the update. I charged my battery 100% and didn't use it at all. When I went to lunch 4 hours later, it was at 5%. Turn your rotate lock on, make sure your auto screen turn off is like 15 mins, and turn off auto update for google play. It's not ideal, but it's better than it was.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

madylarian, 

Have you checked the settings on your weather app lately? Could the update have changed the settings (ie how frequently its updating?) Also check any app that "phones home." ie email, Evernote, Flipboard/Pulse. Dont really have any games so cant suggest which ones might be causing your battery issues. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

The problem is that with Google Play Store all the Google Apps (Mail, Maps,etc.) are installed also.

So you don't have to install anything. The problem is with these apps using wireless and running non-stop in the background.

So disable them using the Profiles feature. Then everything should be fine.

Contributor
Dlbroox
0 Kudos

I've noticed it's always syncing the library too, and don't know how to turn that off. I've used an app killer and keep wifi off and it was dead as a doornail this morning. And honestly, I don't think it was asleep, I think it was off!

I'm probably going to go back to using the SD card if this is the case. It had great battery life on that.
New User
yonnie1947
0 Kudos

I did not want any of the Google APPS. Can they be deleted?

Also purchased Words with Friends which has an ad playing at bottom. WHY? I purchase so I don't have ads.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Yonnie asks "Also purchased Words with Friends which has an ad playing at bottom. WHY? I purchase so I don't have ads."

When the Google Play app is installed with the update, it is set to auto-update all apps all the time.

The problem is, what happens if you have an app you bought from BN and Google has a copy, too?

Well, Google offers to update it for you.  Which you rarely want - in most cases, the paid apps are better apps.

The fix for this is to turn off the autoupdate (in Settings in Google Play) and then look to see if your app came from Google or BN (look for the n on the app's icon.)  If it came from Google, uninstall it and install the BN version and you should no longer see ads.

That's not 100% though.  There have been occasional apps in the BN shop that occasionally display ads by mistake.  I expect that now that the full Google framework is around, other apps which didn't show ads in the BN shop because they couldn't (Google was missing) will start to because they are still configured to do so if they can and now Google's around. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) Google Apps can't be turned off. However you can go into the Profiles feature and disable them for your profile.

2) Words with Friends app has an error. It runs ads even though ads aren't allowed in Nook Apps.

New User
EB451

Well, I found the app that was causing the weird battery drain I was experiencing (i.e. Would drain minimally for about a day after fully charging, then the battery drained super fast to empty in a few hours. I could see the sharp drop on the line graph.) It was Slacker Radio. I had installed the app from the Google Play Store since I use their music service. Slacker appeared in the battery usage details and in app killer. After I uninstalled it, my battery drainage was normal, same as before the 2.1 update. I kept track of the battery drain for a few days and it was fine. As an experiment, I tried installing Slacker again to see if the drainage problem happened again, and it did. It caused the same sharp drop in battery. So, I've uninstalled Slacker again, and it will stay uninstalled. Pity, since I love their music service. I have the Slacker app on my Kindle Fire HD, and it doesn't cause weird battery drain on that device. Maybe it's different from the Google Play Store version on the Nook. I don't have any issues with the app on my Windows devices either.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Glad you figured out what app was causing the problem and that battery life is back to normal.:smileyhappy:

Re, Slacker, did you happen to play with the settings? Most apps have some way to turn off auto sync/connect, and you may have to kill it between uses. Only mention it since you seem to like the app.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What NookGardener wrote. Slacker Music might have some setting to not run int he background. Else you can contact them and let them know to add that setting - it's very easy to add a setting.