Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Wifi disconnecting on Nook HD+

I  just purchased a Nook HD+, and like it a lot! It's certainly worth the money.  My annoyance is that whenever I put it in sleep mode for a few minutes, the wifi disconnects.  I realize that this saves battery life, but the wifi connection to my router is slow to begin with on this device, versus my other tablets (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD), and it takes about 30 seconds or so to reconnect.  I'm wondering it this is specific to the Nook HD+ or if I have a problem with this particular device. Thanks for your assistance.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

Re: Wifi disconnecting on Nook HD+

Maybe it's your router because mine connects as soon as I turn the screen back on. Then again, if it took 30 seconds, at least for me it would be no big deal.

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

Thanks, are you saying that when your tablet is simply asleep, not off, and you power it on, it is already connected onto the net. It doesn't reconnect? My is reconnecting everytime.
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Tad123 wrote:
Thanks, are you saying that when your tablet is simply asleep, not off, and you power it on, it is already connected onto the net. It doesn't reconnect? My is reconnecting everytime.

I just checked mine - when it is asleep and I turn it on, the wifi icon shows no bars at first but connects within 2 to 3 seconds.

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

ok, so it looks like yours is disconnecting also when asleep, it just appears to be connecting much quicker than mine.
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

@Tad123

Yes, that's it. When I lightly push the power button, the tablet goes to sleep and the wifi turns off. I'm getting about 3 days with mine before I have to charge it again, so I'm absolutely positive the wifi is turning off because it's a huge battery drain when sleeping.

When I turn the tablet back on, I have no bars for a second or two, then full bars. I'm guessing it's got something to do with either your router like I said, or there's a problem with the internal wifi but before you take it back, I'd take it to your local BN and see how fast it connects there. Or Panera. Or any of a number of other open wifi places where you can check.

Contributor
Tad123

I just found a solution that is acceptable for me. There is an app in the Google Play store called "wifi lock". it disables the wifi sleep mode in your nook and keeps you connected to the net all the time. it worked perfectly, and is free! it does use more battery this way, but it's a very acceptable rate of usage, at least to me. Now i have instant access to the web at all times,  as well as instant access to my web based apps. No more connecting delay.

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

I just found a solution that is acceptable for me. There is an app in the Google Play store called "wifi lock". It disables the wifi sleep mode in your nook and keeps you connected to the net all the time. It worked perfectly, and is free! It does use more battery this way, but it's a very acceptable rate of usage, at least to me. Now i have instant access to the web at all times,  as well as instant access to my web based apps. No more connecting delay.

New User
griffoid
0 Kudos

Mine always disconnects when asleep. Just tried your app, great now. Thanks
Contributor
Ambient12
0 Kudos

Happy to hear about the WiFi Lock App. I have this problem too. The only way I can fix it is by erase/de-register.