Frequent Contributor
rfortson
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Wired & Vanity Fair magazines no longer interactive?

I've noticed the recent issues of Wired and Vanity Fair are no longer interactive.  Instead, they act like images or books.  Previously, there was a good bit of interactive content, including the table of contents, the cover, and web links. Has the publisher changed their content or am I somehow getting a bum file?

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Re: Wired & Vanity Fair magazines no longer interactive?

There's a lengthly thread regarding similar issues with the New Yorker magazine.  If you search New Yorker, you should find the thread.  I'm not sure if the issue was resolved.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193

I suspect it is the same deal as The New Yorker.  Sounds like some kind of software issue but the question to me is still who's fault it is. I'm thinking B&N no longer wishes to support whatever is necessary to make them interactive tho I could be wrong there. Given that this has happend with the New Yorker, I'm betting it's B&N driving that train.  Bottom line? It's not a corrupt copy or anything else. Some of these magazines are now being offered by B&N as non-interactive.  I can pretty much guarantee that is NOT the case with the iPad. Darn Apple again.  I won't be getting an iPad and I won't be subscribing to any magazines that go that route. Perhaps the Goolg ePlay version of the magazine is still interactive.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

I'm thinking B&N no longer wishes to support whatever is necessary to make them interactive tho I could be wrong there.

Kind of a gray area.  B&N has not removed any existing functionality.  It seems that magazine publishers may have made some update to their interactive content so that it no longer works with the existing B&N program, and B&N has not upgraded to deal with it.  So then the next obvious step is to deliver the non-interactive version of the publication to the devices where the interactive will no longer work.

Whose fault is it?  Take your pick.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I also subscribe to Vanity Fair & I believe the change took place in the last two months. I also got an email from Vanity Fair re the availability of an Android app. I didn't pay any attention but maybe you need to have the app to get the interactive issue.

PC World has recently changed over to all digital & you need an app for that to get interactive content. Frankly, it does not work very well & is so annoying that I have been reading the non-interactive version through my free Zinio account from the local library. Unless they get the problems fixed I won't renew my subscription in Feb & will just read the free version from now on. I hope needing seperate apps for various magazines is not going to become a trend. I don't know what the situation is with Wired, I don't have a subscription to that one, I just access it through the Zinio account.