Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Re: aghhH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why, but there's no response clicking on just the support link.  The little hand and clickable link only comes up over the specific products.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

It's http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Nook-Support/379003184

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Thanks!  I book marked it. 

Contributor
Pulitzer_Fan
0 Kudos

No excuses. This device has more bugs than Windows ME! I've got various apps crashing, music player not working, shelves disappearing, songs multipling by themselves every day and enough Usability issues to drive me crazy.

The quality control on the software, was horrible; horrible!

Barnes and Noble needs to come out with fixes really soon, or it's Amazon and I'll never be back.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

I'm somewhere in between 5 and Pulitzer here.

I put my devices through the wringer, ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet often. 

I haven't seen surprising app crashes on my device yet, and I'm actually pretty impressed with a lot of what the native software will do.  I've reformatted it at least 6 times now in the course of exploring modifying the software, but I've also sat still long enough to watch an entire movie on Netflix - literally, that's a first for me on a tablet. 

Core function, though, is that it needs to be a reader.  BN has known this for a long time, and they still make a hash of shelving.

Granted, taking the OS from (IIRC) gingerbread straight to ICS is a lot of work for BN to keep up with.  And the reader integrates into the OS very tightly.

But under the hood, Android is all about databases, and the databases for (for example) keeping track of what music is on the device and what's been played have not changed that much between the releases. 

FBreader remains a better reader than the BN reader in one important way:  it automatically creates shelves for you when you ask.  It creates about 70 shelves completely automatically:  if you sort by either author or by title, your output list is put into what amounts to shelves, one per character (a-z and 0-9) of the element you're sorting on.

Meaning, you get a shelf for every title leading with B, and every author whose name starts with B, for free - no sorting, no muss, no headache. 

Why BN hasn't implemented this yet, I don't know. 

Alternately, they could either copy or license from Sony the method that Sony uses to make off-device shelf manipulation and backup possible.  BN claims to be selling to folks who read, and to not support organizing libraries, or rather to support it as badly as they do for as long as they have? 

It's one reason I don't hesitate to assist folks in opening their devices up.

BTW, google earth looks fabulous on the HD+.  And at 200 bucks cheaper than the nexus 10 / 32, I'm still very happy with the device, once configured. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

5ivedom: TnTexas, it's brand new

Well, yes, the HDs are brand new, but it seems like some of the problems have been around since the Color. That's what? 2 years now? That's a long time to wait for things to be fixed.

Aside from that, I understood patgolfneb to be saying that part of B&N's problem is buying into the idea that doing more with fewer people is better (or at least doable) and to be patient with them. My question is: How long are people supposed to be patient, waiting for B&N to figure out that that approach isn't doing them any favors? Two years and four devices isn't enough time for them to figure that out? I'm sorry, but the tech market isn't that patient.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

roustabout wrote:

I'm somewhere in between 5 and Pulitzer here.

I put my devices through the wringer, ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet often. 

I haven't seen surprising app crashes on my device yet, and I'm actually pretty impressed with a lot of what the native software will do.  I've reformatted it at least 6 times now in the course of exploring modifying the software, but I've also sat still long enough to watch an entire movie on Netflix - literally, that's a first for me on a tablet. 

Core function, though, is that it needs to be a reader.  BN has known this for a long time, and they still make a hash of shelving.

Granted, taking the OS from (IIRC) gingerbread straight to ICS is a lot of work for BN to keep up with.  And the reader integrates into the OS very tightly.

But under the hood, Android is all about databases, and the databases for (for example) keeping track of what music is on the device and what's been played have not changed that much between the releases. 

FBreader remains a better reader than the BN reader in one important way:  it automatically creates shelves for you when you ask.  It creates about 70 shelves completely automatically:  if you sort by either author or by title, your output list is put into what amounts to shelves, one per character (a-z and 0-9) of the element you're sorting on.

Meaning, you get a shelf for every title leading with B, and every author whose name starts with B, for free - no sorting, no muss, no headache. 

Why BN hasn't implemented this yet, I don't know. 

Alternately, they could either copy or license from Sony the method that Sony uses to make off-device shelf manipulation and backup possible.  BN claims to be selling to folks who read, and to not support organizing libraries, or rather to support it as badly as they do for as long as they have? 

It's one reason I don't hesitate to assist folks in opening their devices up.

BTW, google earth looks fabulous on the HD+.  And at 200 bucks cheaper than the nexus 10 / 32, I'm still very happy with the device, once configured. 

Yup, remember all that marketing for "the reader's tablet" for the NC.  Two years later, while improvements to the tablet like features, apps and all that is good, lack of attention to the "reader" functions we have been requesting is getting a little discouraging.  (Though they did fix the comments.)

And you forgot one of my other favorite complaints when you are searching for books. :smileymad: Let's file some of the titles under "A" and "The" (cuz that's how they do it at the bookstore and the library, right?) but let's not be consistent about it.  Let's put volume I under "the" and volume II where ever it really belonged, like "O" (pick a letter.)  At this point, I have been so indoctrinated, I actually go to the "t's" to look for things first, then end up surprised on the occassion that the metadata is correct and it's where it should be!

Bibliophile
5ivedom

I'd agree with the sentiment that B&N isn't putting enough attention into the eReader App.

It's pretty difficult for it to compete with such Giants like Amazon and Google and Apple. These companies are effectively (in case of Amazon or Google) writing off all their losses, or have early mover advantage (Apple).

However, this is a market that will be like the PC market. Lots of winners. Perhaps not very many profitable winners, but many companies that will survive.

It's a tough job for B&N.

They have to keep up as a Tablet. So doing things like an App Store and a Video Store and updates to newer Android versions.

They also have to focus on being the best Reading Tablet.

They have done some very impressive things with screen resolution and pixel desnity.

Highest Screen Resolution of 7" Tablets = More words on the screen.

Highest Pixel Density of 7" Tablets = Clearer Text.

Why is the software not being improved?

Well, software is incredibly hard. People give short-shrift to companies like Microsoft that tackle the really hard problems like backwards compatibility and supporting millions of devics vis USB etc.

However, it's very tough.

B&N has to figure out how to do ALL of the following -

1) Compete on Tablet OS software.

2) Compete on Tablet hardware.

3) Compete on Ecosystem i.e. movies books magazines

4) Build an App Store

5) Make Reading Tablet software better

6) Make Reading Tablet hardware features better.

Not really sure how they prioritize it. I suspect they said - we made the screen amazing, we made it light and cheap. Now let's focus on making other aspects good enough so that it can compete as a Tablet.

What I mean is that

Instead of making reading 99/100 and not selling Tablets because the other aspects are veyr poor, B&N is saying - let's make reading 90/100 for now, and add features like Profiles, Video Store, App Store, UK expansion that will let us sell Tablets.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

so why do my sideloaded books no longer show up in "manage content for profiles"?

good grief. It won't show me covers until they are shelved elsewhere so it's not that easy here folks! I was able to see them before to mass shelve books. Now I have to go to each individual book to do it, without covers or files named so I know what is in them....grrrr....

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

and I can no longer do a search to find books in Myfiles. ???

Bibliophile
laurieb52

After you shelve 150 or so books, turn off the hd to free memory. I noticed mine started acting up if from all of the concentrated activty involved in creating.shelving and opening and closing of shelves if I didn't turn it off occasionally. On one occasion the memory got so overloaded the tablet couldn't recognize a B@N book,said it was the wrong format, then the reader app quit. Restarting took care of it.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

laurieb52 wrote:
After you shelve 150 or so books, turn off the hd to free memory. I noticed mine started acting up if from all of the concentrated activty involved in creating.shelving and opening and closing of shelves if I didn't turn it off occasionally. On one occasion the memory got so overloaded the tablet couldn't recognize a B@N book,said it was the wrong format, then the reader app quit. Restarting took care of it.

Turn off the HD. Shut off the device you mean, then start it back up. Isn't there a cache somewhere we can clear out too?

Contributor
Pulitzer_Fan

My Reader works pretty good and battery life appear pretty good, but I want a Reader to do both Movies and Music. There are a bunch of Android Devices out that that do that. Jelly Bean brought in the Child Account capability that I really like.

If someone wants a Reader only they should stick to earlier versions of Nook.

I absolutely LOVED my original Nook, so far I HATE my NookHD+ and at this rate it will shortly be on the shelf and I'll never buy any hardware from Barnes and Noble.

Way, Way Way too buggy. Didn't they do any testing on the software on these units?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

have you updated to 2.0.4 yet? It helped with a lot of the problems. I do agree however, that I was unprepared for all the problems I've had with it though the update did fix a lot of them. It was fast out of the box, but performance degraded quickly. And it shouldn't. My NC is more consistant than this, was a BIG hardware change from the previous devices and did not seem to have this many problems, though I did wait about a month to order mine so I might have skipped the initial buggy phase. I'm getting use to my HD+ and hope that future updates fix the remaining problems.

Wordsmith
2noelle

Compulsiveread, I am wondering what the update fixed. My hd+ is as buggy as ever. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

2noelle wrote:
Compulsiveread, I am wondering what the update fixed. My hd+ is as buggy as ever. :smileyhappy:

Well....I can actually USE it now if not as well as y NC..