Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

aghhH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...this is going to come across cranky because that's the point I'm getting to....screaming frustration is next time. :smileysad:

Can we get a more comprehensive user guide that covers things like where to store images and what type are needed for profiles and backgrounds? OR how to save shelves after we spend a day shelving books? For starters...

I'm really getting aggravated here. The Interface is real pretty and all, and theoretically, a great idea but what is the point of having personalizing options such as profiles and shelves if they don't work or the secret to doing them is omitted in the user guide?

I'm beginning to think this was not well thought out. The shell is there, but the details are missing.

I spent an afternoon shelving several hundred books, went back later to shelve some more and all my work was gone. ??? Really??? Are you kidding me? (actually, the wording I used at the time was more colorful)

Then another two hours of trial and error trying to figure out which folder holds the profile photos and what type of file the HD requires. I only won that argument with my HD because I was determined to win since I lost the one on the shelving. :smileysad: I keep thinking I'm going to open it up and that will be gone too.)

IT doesn't help to know we can do something but the how of it seems a closely held secret not shared with us, the users of the devices.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: aghhH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My belief is that is that BN is aggressively, desparately? trying to differentiate themselves in the tablet / bookseller niche. On top of device changes this has led them to reinventing the wheel with each tablet introduction, partly because of customer demanded features, and new content like movies. Normally major changes would be limited to a couple areas withe the rest just evolutionary. I think they are just juggleing to many balls at one time righ now.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

patgolfneb wrote:

My belief is that is that BN is aggressively, desparately? trying to differentiate themselves in the tablet / bookseller niche. On top of device changes this has led them to reinventing the wheel with each tablet introduction, partly because of customer demanded features, and new content like movies. Normally major changes would be limited to a couple areas withe the rest just evolutionary. I think they are just juggleing to many balls at one time righ now.

Unfortunately, they seem to be dropping a lot of them!!!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think the best idea would be to divide out areas and let each of us pick one or two areas to explore and then share with everyone.

I just found out that trying to backup scrapbooks (which you can find in the /B&N Downloads/Extras/Scrapbooks' feature) doesn't seem to work. What it does do is delete all your shelves.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Swamprat, if you agree with my take then it is probably emloyees being asked to do to much, at least for the available resources, not a lack of competence.

I have seen this happen in busines, and especially goverment. The mantra do more with less sounds good in speeches but reality is different. The plus is that recognizing this lessens frustration, and things usually get sorted out if we are a bit more patient.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

one difficulty I had with trying to upload a photo for the profile was that what showed up on my pc for content on the nook wasn't even close to how things were filed according to openexplorer on the HD so trying to figure out where to put it was trial and error. There was also nothing in settings that I could find that would give me a clue. After lots of looking at what came up for images to choose from that HD gave me, I was finally able to match those images with the contents of a folder that my PC was displaying. I put my jpg file in there but it the HD stil didn't see it to choose for the profile image. I then converted the photo to png since all the other files in that folder were png and FINALLY the HD saw it and let me choose it. Then it popped up on a screen wanting me to crop it. First I chose not to do that and was kicked out. Next time cropped it and saved it and it finally showed up as my profile image. There was not a single mention that I could find in the user guide about changing the profile to something other than the images on the device. And I could find nothing on where one would putwallpapers or other photos to display. ??????

I would rather have been reading or playing in other areas during all the time I spent on that one thing that took me less than a few min to do on my NC and I'm still growling about the time wasted on all those no longer existing shelves.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

I think the best idea would be to divide out areas and let each of us pick one or two areas to explore and then share with everyone.

I just found out that trying to backup scrapbooks (which you can find in the /B&N Downloads/Extras/Scrapbooks' feature) doesn't seem to work. What it does do is delete all your shelves.

I only played with scrapbooking for a few min. I sliced my hand up and had a lot of extra time so thought I'd do my hunt and peck routine with the shelves instead. I do like that extra large keyboard on the HD+

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Adding photos for use in profiles is the same process as it was when adding photos to the nook tablet; just sideload them into the "my files/pictures" file, then access them there. The picture files can be.jpg or even bmp; have used them both with profiles. What is different this time around is when sideloading books, especially through calibre, they don't go in the 'my/files/books' section, but directly into a books file one level up.

I'm having trouble, thoug,h figuring out where to add a .nomedia file this time around to prevent music album folders from showing in the pictures gallery, but still allow them to show up in the music player. Anyone figure that out yet?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

Adding photos for use in profiles is the same process as it was when adding photos to the nook tablet; just sideload them into the "my files/pictures" file, then access them there. The picture files can be.jpg or even bmp; have used them both with profiles. What is different this time around is when sideloading books, especially through calibre, they don't go in the 'my/files/books' section, but directly into a books file one level up.

I'm having trouble, thoug,h figuring out where to add a .nomedia file this time around to prevent music album folders from showing in the pictures gallery, but still allow them to show up in the music player. Anyone figure that out yet?

I thought that too so I put my files in that folder. And the HD+ did not give me the option of looking in THAT folder to choose my image. And even when I found the folder that it was allowing me to look at, it did not see any files that were not png. So no..not the same process because the process would have been a lot faster. 

Hmmm...when I used Calibre to transfer my books to the HD+, It transferred them into the myfiles/books folder and that's where I find them on my HD+ as well.

Is everybody's devices behaving differently from each others? because that is going to complicate figuring things out by sharing what we learn as we go.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

patgolfneb: Swamprat, if you agree with my take then it is probably emloyees being asked to do to much, at least for the available resources, not a lack of competence.

I have seen this happen in busines, and especially goverment. The mantra do more with less sounds good in speeches but reality is different. The plus is that recognizing this lessens frustration, and things usually get sorted out if we are a bit more patient.

So how patient does one have to be? The Nook Color came out in the fall of 2010; didn't it? Two years and four devices later  (NC, NT, and 2 HDs) isn't enough? If the problem is a lack of resources on their end; shouldn't they have realized that by now?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

TnTexas, it's brand new.

Think of it this way:

Android updates their OS pretty frequently.

B&N builds on top of the latest Android OS.

While some things stay the same, a lot changes.

So B&N has two tasks wth each new OS they do

1) Incorporate the changes in Android and accomodate things that have shifted.

2) Build their own NEW skin on top of it and features.

It's not trivial. For example the profiles feature is a very big deal. Both in terms of impact and amount of work.

B&N is being very ambitious, which is great. However, it seems that because of having to compete with much stronger rivals (in terms of manpower) they are getting forced into shipping a less polished OS than they (or we) would like.

I think over the next few years B&N will become much more stable with their software as they finalize and lock-down what their core OS skin is. However, there will always be Android changes - changes in the underlying OS.

So pretty much every new Nook will have 1 or 2 versions that are not as stable.

Frequent Contributor
vinnyc
0 Kudos

Hi, compulsiveread, are u aware that there is a full user's guide at the BN website in the support section for the HD?
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

vinnyc wrote:
Hi, compulsiveread, are u aware that there is a full user's guide at the BN website in the support section for the HD?

yeah...that is what I've been using. I wouldn't say it is complete though.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@compulsive,

Sounds like where things get filed on the HD's may have something to do with ones PC OS version. I have Windows 7, and certainly have had a lot fewer issues than owners with older versions of Windows. As I mentioned, sideloaded photos were accessible through the profiles option,  sideloaded books are filed in a book's folder one level up from the "My Files folder" and sideloaded books also show up on the carousel for me after checking the "Documents" option under settings,

I also only have one profile set up.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

@compulsive,

Sounds like where things get filed on the HD's may have something to do with ones PC OS version. I have Windows 7, and certainly have had a lot fewer issues than owners with older versions of Windows. As I mentioned, sideloaded photos were accessible through the profiles option,  sideloaded books are filed in a book's folder one level up from the "My Files folder" and sideloaded books also show up on the carousel for me after checking the "Documents" option under settings,

I also only have one profile set up.

hmm...because I run Windows 7 too. :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Calibre version 9.3 here.  Any difference with yours?

Mine is an HD, not an HD+, but I wouldn't think there should be much difference between the two models.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

Calibre version 9.3 here.  Any difference with yours?

Mine is an HD, not an HD+, but I wouldn't think there should be much difference between the two models.

I have Calibre 9.5.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

feeling less frustrated now. The device itself is beautiful and I did expect bugs. I just wasn't prepared to have to figure things out that were missing in the user guide (the website version). Things that need to be added? Got that that might take time. Bugs? expected. Being told I can do things and then that part is missing from the user guide and it's not as intuitive as I expected. tougher to deal with if I was really looking forward to the feature and couldn't wait for BN to remember to include it in the instructions.

So, I figure I'll let it sit a few days, they'll get around to an update for the device and the user guide. In the meantime, I still have my NC if I need it and just avoid the headache for a few days.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I can't find a support section for the HD/HD+ on line.  I'm assuming it's the same as the manual that's included on the HD+. But when I go to BN.com, I see support for devices through the tablet--nothing for HD. Would you be so kind to provide a link?  Thanks!

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

BF, just click directly on the support link to get to it, all of the support manuals are on one page that way; the sub scroll for the HD products has not been added yet.