Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

book shelf program from Google

Does anyone know if any of the google shelving apps work for Nook HD+?
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: book shelf program from Google

I use Calibre Companion App, but it works only for sideloaded books from your calibre library. It doesn't shelve per se but it does do sorts according to how you set up your library in Calibre, so if you have genre tags listed, you can sort by genres, etc. Most of the other shelving apps do more traditional shelves, but I think you have to set them up and put your books on them by hand. You'll have to get input about other apps from people who have used them. I'm lazy, I like the app to do the work for me, so I tend to go for the one that involves the least work on my part. :smileyhappy: I keep only a very few of my BN books on my device and I shelve them, but I wouldn't mind finding an app that would shelve them for me with as little effort as Calibre Companion requires. Though I could put all my BN books in Calibre too I suppose.

Correspondent
Purple_Ice

Thank you. I do have Calibre and I like it. It just doesn't meet my needs because in order for it to work you have to keep your computer on and be near a wifi in order for it to work. Its just too risky. Too many could break into your computer when your on a public wifi. I noticed that Google had several different programs that allowed you to shelve books and was wondering if anyone had used any to shelf books on their nook hd+ and if so how did it work out.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Exactly what do you mean?

An app that shelves all your Nook Books and also sideloaded books?

So a replacement for the in-built shelves feature?

If you find something please share here.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

PurpleIce, can I ask you a question, what is your ultimate goal here?(Sorry, that sounds a little snarky, dont mean it to. But sometimes a direct, to the point question is easiest.)

Are you looking for a program that will let you organize your books and see all the covers? Something with a backup feature? Are you looking for something that will allow you to organize ALL your books by genre, series, etc. Maybe check off what you've read?(Creating a catalog thru calibre will do the latter.)

What features would your "perfect" shelving app include (or exclude?)

Correspondent
Purple_Ice

I have over a thousand books and am tired if waiting for B&N to make their shelving easier and wanted to know if there was an app out there that would make it easier to shelf books. The problem with Nook HD+ is the following: Say you have a book called Street Light and you know you have it on several shelves and you can remember which shelves you have it on. You have at least 50 books on each shelf and you have a total of 40 shelves. Now you want to see what shelves you have street light on. The way B&N has it set up you have to go through all 40 shelves to see which shelves Street Lights is on. I want an easier way of finding what shelves the book is on and an easier way of removing the book from that shelf.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Yeah, I got that part. (Personally at 500 books, its way too slow and without a backup, pointless. Cant imagine how slow yours is!) 

But whats the point of putting them on these shelves? How are you trying to use the shelves? Are you using them as a sort of list? Did you every try the "create your own book catalog" feature in calibre?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

[ Edited ]

Purple_Ice wrote:
Thank you. I do have Calibre and I like it. It just doesn't meet my needs because in order for it to work you have to keep your computer on and be near a wifi in order for it to work. Its just too risky. Too many could break into your computer when your on a public wifi. I noticed that Google had several different programs that allowed you to shelve books and was wondering if anyone had used any to shelf books on their nook hd+ and if so how did it work out.

No, you only have to have your computer on and wifi on to TRANSFER books. You do not need to have it on to use the app to browse what is on your device. Since you have to be in your own wifi network to use the app to transfer ebooks, it's not that big of deal to open up Calibre on the PC when you want to transfer the books and shut it down when you are finished. This is what you would have to do anyway to transfer books with the usb connection, but with the app you just do it wirelessly. Once the books are on your device, the app still works fine as a library system for your sideloaded books.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Purple_Ice wrote:
I have over a thousand books and am tired if waiting for B&N to make their shelving easier and wanted to know if there was an app out there that would make it easier to shelf books. The problem with Nook HD+ is the following: Say you have a book called Street Light and you know you have it on several shelves and you can remember which shelves you have it on. You have at least 50 books on each shelf and you have a total of 40 shelves. Now you want to see what shelves you have street light on. The way B&N has it set up you have to go through all 40 shelves to see which shelves Street Lights is on. I want an easier way of finding what shelves the book is on and an easier way of removing the book from that shelf.

If you press on the book cover as if you were going to shelve it, you will see a list of shelves it is NOT on. That means the book is on all the shelves not listed. The removing of a book from the shelf is still a pain in the butt.

Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

That's good if you can remember all the shelves you have. After ten shelves my memory fails.
Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

I travel a lot and like to have all my books with me. I have Calibre and can make the program whistle. Nook Tablet can handle my book better then Nook HD+ and this shouldn't be!
Correspondent
Purple_Ice

My Nook HD isn't slow at all. Don't know why yours is. You might have too many apps open in the back ground. Are you shutting off your Nook every once in a while to clear your memory? I would like to have shelves such as mysteries, paranormal, short stories, romance, drama, bios, manuals, favorites, other worlds, historical, etc. I did find a work around for series and that works fine but I like to put books on more then one shelf. I also have a Nook tablet and Color. Both handle the books with shelves just fine and I am using them more then my Nook HD+ because of the shelving. What a let down with hd+.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

[ Edited ]

Hi PurpleIce, sorry my statement was unclear. HD+ is very fast, etc except when I go into the library area. You can almost feel it indexing all the items. And the more I add, the slower it gets. 

Did get calibre companion app yesterday and played with it some. Understand your issues with it now. You either have to sideload EVERYTHING to see all your shelves (which kind of defeats the purpose of having the ability to directly download to the device) or you have to leave the content server on all the time (happen to agree with you on that one yoo, just doesnt seem wise.)

I've liked all my nooks, from a hardware standpoint, they've always been great. But from a software standpoint, the programmers have always included (or maybe excluded is a better word) a feature or two that has left me scratching my head going, "Really, really??? Why do they think people would want to do x that way, when doing it like y would be simpler." So have always had to do workarounds to get the devices to do what I want, in a way that makes sense to me. So when it comes to shelves, because they have never had a backup feature, have never relied on them extensively. (Oh, forgot to mention that have a few hundred pdfs as well; they added a entire new dimension to the "shelving" concept on the NT. ) Ironically, the reason I never set many up on either the NC or NT was because didnt want to waste time doing so and lose everything because of a factory reset. Which never had to do on either device. So thought would give shelves a try with the HD+, and wouldnt you know it, moved or deleted something, and the shelves all crashed and burned. Just my luck!

Not sure if this workaround will meet your needs or not. You mentioned you are good with calibre. Have you tried creating your own catalog of all your ebooks? You can set it up to include what you like (lists by author, series, genre, put little check marks next to those you've read.)  Add the catalog to your HD. Then get Mantano Reader from Google Play. (There is a free version that will work for this, checked it already.)  When you open your catalog epub in Mantano, it's actually recognizing the header categories in the epub (like they were a chapter break), so you can get to your lists of books quickly.  It took me a couple of tries to get the catalog how I wanted it but was worth it in the end.

As far as "other software" on GP that will have a shelving feature, I'm going to go with no.  Maybe there is but I haven't seen one yet. Have looked into some of them, and they really seem to be other readers that you are going to pull all your books into.  And a little more irony, a lot of them will let you import from calibre.  And some are no more than lists of the books themselves (want to get, to read, borrowed, etc.)  Just haven't seen anything that seems like it is worth the effort.

Hope you get it worked out! 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

You DO NOT need to have wifi or content server on to use Calibre Companion!

I'm confused at why people are having to have Calibre server up all the time to use Calibre Companion App. I've never had to have it on to browse my on device library on the HD+. My CC app works exactly the same whether I am on wifi or not unless I'm wanting to transfer books or to browse the library that is on the PC. PS: Calibre content server can be passworded.

EVERY single shelving/library management app out there ONLY deals with the books you have on the device. CC is no different. If you are wanting to be able to browse what's on your computer at will, you'll need a remote access app, not a shelving app. And even then, you have to have install software to your PC to use the PC and have access to that allowed on your PC and that opens you up to the same problems. 

The point of Calibre Companion App isn't to have constant access to your PC library, (there is NO app that will do that for you without some type of content server being on all the time or access enabled) but to have a comprehensive library of what is on your device, complete with catalog, covers and metadata instead of blank icons and the ability to transfer wirelessly from your Calibre Library. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: You DO NOT need to have wifi or content server on to use Calibre Companion!

Note: If you are wanting a catalog of your complete Calibre PC library on your device, then use Calibre (not the apps) to create one, then you can use the app to transfer that catalog to your device. I gues I've mentioned this so many times, that I assume others  know about it too.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

compulsivereader, I think we are saying the same things.  Maybe I'm just not really articulate at 6am :smileywink:

calibrecompanion will see all the metadata, covers etc, even when off line for the content you sideloaded through it.  If you don't sideload the content, wont see the metadata, etc (makes perfect sense.) 

Personally, I kinda like cc (and think you deserve another referral fee :smileywink: ) But I'm not the OP, and was just trying to see from his/her perspective and how they were trying to use it. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This: Are you shutting off your Nook every once in a while to clear your memory?

Is anyone else seeing this? This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen mention of this and this might be causing some issues for people who never shut off their Nook.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Yes, probably shut mine off every 7-10 days or so "just because." Device runs pretty smoothly. Old NT habit (when we only had the stock browser, it used to periodically get "stuck" and the only way to fix it wad to turn off power.) Is that what you are asking?

Correspondent
Purple_Ice

Shutting off your Nook will shut down programs running in the back ground and free up memory which will allow your Nook to work faster. When you open an app say the free friday app "Jellyfish" even if you close it the proper way it still says open in the background. Your computer works the same. Its good practice to shut it down every now and then. Just dont shut your Nook down while its charging. Use the system app for that. Its even in the manual to shut it down once in a while.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

compulsivereader, I think we are saying the same things.  Maybe I'm just not really articulate at 6am :smileywink:

calibrecompanion will see all the metadata, covers etc, even when off line for the content you sideloaded through it.  If you don't sideload the content, wont see the metadata, etc (makes perfect sense.) 

Personally, I kinda like cc (and think you deserve another referral fee :smileywink: ) But I'm not the OP, and was just trying to see from his/her perspective and how they were trying to use it. 

Thank you. Maybe I'm so tired from tiling and in pain from tiling the floor (it's hell on my arthritis), I'm not reading correctly. It's easy when something is frustrating to not be able to articulate the problem precisely so others can help. Then I get frustrated too because I can't help it it doesn't make sense to me. I love CC too...It's my favorite app. WIsh it would find my BN library too and sort that out for me..then life would be perfect (well once the tiling is finished).