Reader 2
TatianaM
0 Kudos

Excuse the questions from a lurker/newb...

I've been scanning through your posts, and plan on really delving into Calibre when I get home, but I just wanted to clarify something:

So by creating a catelogue through Calibre, your books are organized by tags or whatever you wish on your Nook, instead of the limited sorting by author, title, or recent?? Meaning I would be able to organize my books by series, in order of series, without having to rename them 1. Book#1, 2 Book#2, etc???

I stick to mainly sideloaded .epubs or books bought directly from B&N. The ones I read through Kindle are free books and now that B&N has updated to Google Play, I have the Kindle app withoug having to root (yay!) even though I have a N2A card. I also have a bunch of stories that I have my eye on to download through the fanfictiondownloader plugin that can work with Calibre, so if this is all true, then you have made my life SO much easier!

//off topic, but have you figured out a way to delete the quick start guide and user manual? I've been searching all over the place, but haven't found a solution of what to do *after* you root your Nook. That's the only thing I want to do, and then I can go back to the stock software and be in perfect bliss. :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Re: Excuse the questions from a lurker/newb...

Quick question to 5dom about the shelving situation.

A while back you posted that your team had looked at developing an App for shelving, but that B&N had issues with approving any Nook Apps that might stray into their book arena.

With the arrival of Google Play Store complete with Kindle App, does this herald a change in B&N's policy?  

And if B&N wouldn't include your App in the Nook store, would you be able to sell it via Google Play store specifically for Nooks?

I just get the feeling that if you came up with a great shelving App for the Nook, you would have a lot of grateful customers!!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

TatianaM wrote:

I've been scanning through your posts, and plan on really delving into Calibre when I get home, but I just wanted to clarify something:

So by creating a catelogue through Calibre, your books are organized by tags or whatever you wish on your Nook, instead of the limited sorting by author, title, or recent?? Meaning I would be able to organize my books by series, in order of series, without having to rename them 1. Book#1, 2 Book#2, etc???

I stick to mainly sideloaded .epubs or books bought directly from B&N. The ones I read through Kindle are free books and now that B&N has updated to Google Play, I have the Kindle app withoug having to root (yay!) even though I have a N2A card. I also have a bunch of stories that I have my eye on to download through the fanfictiondownloader plugin that can work with Calibre, so if this is all true, then you have made my life SO much easier!

//off topic, but have you figured out a way to delete the quick start guide and user manual? I've been searching all over the place, but haven't found a solution of what to do *after* you root your Nook. That's the only thing I want to do, and then I can go back to the stock software and be in perfect bliss. :smileyvery-happy:

You don't have to rename the books. In Calibre, there are several columns available to you to use. Two are tags and Series. You can also create your own if there's something specific you want to keep track of that isn't one of the stock optons. Many books come with that information or it may get downloaded when you update the metadata in Calibre. IF not, then you'll have to write it in yourself. You can also alter any information in those columns that is downloaded. When you make your catalog, make sure the columns with the information that you want for search purposes is included in the catalog. I also have a column that tells me where I bought the book so if there's ever a problem, I know where to go back to download it again. Whatever columns you add to your catalog will be searchable in the catalog so you can be very specific with how you want it set up, what columns and what info.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

AlbionRose wrote:

Quick question to 5dom about the shelving situation.

A while back you posted that your team had looked at developing an App for shelving, but that B&N had issues with approving any Nook Apps that might stray into their book arena.

With the arrival of Google Play Store complete with Kindle App, does this herald a change in B&N's policy?  

And if B&N wouldn't include your App in the Nook store, would you be able to sell it via Google Play store specifically for Nooks?

I just get the feeling that if you came up with a great shelving App for the Nook, you would have a lot of grateful customers!!

I second this one!! I have my sideloaded book issues with shelving solved but it would be wonderful to have the same for my BN books. Please 5ivedom!! 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I really don't know if it's possible.

1) I think for sideloaded books it should be possible. Because those are just files on a system and can be accessed.

2) With Google Play Store we'd definitely have more permissions available + there's no approval process so no one can say 'this steps outside the bounds'.

So for sideloaded books via Google Play Store should be possible.

For Nook Books I don't really know.

We have a bunch of things we're finishing up and some new things. So I don't know when/if we'll get to Shelves. However, it's still something we're interested in. I'll update you if we start on it but I really don't know if we'll do it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

You might want to have one of your team look at Sony's solution for their e-readers.  

I've suggested in the past that BN look into licensing it.  

The Sony software lets you manage shelves from your desktop computer, and the shelves translate to your device after it synchs.  

So, it's doable and Sony did it a long time ago.  Of course, how they did it may well be locked up behind patents, or it may be that when someone with more of a clue looks at it they'll see that it's super simple.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 2
TatianaM
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

You don't have to rename the books. In Calibre, there are several columns available to you to use. Two are tags and Series. You can also create your own if there's something specific you want to keep track of that isn't one of the stock optons. Many books come with that information or it may get downloaded when you update the metadata in Calibre. IF not, then you'll have to write it in yourself. You can also alter any information in those columns that is downloaded. When you make your catalog, make sure the columns with the information that you want for search purposes is included in the catalog. I also have a column that tells me where I bought the book so if there's ever a problem, I know where to go back to download it again. Whatever columns you add to your catalog will be searchable in the catalog so you can be very specific with how you want it set up, what columns and what info.

Okay, I've played around with Calibre some more, so I'm getting more used to the idea of organizing by columns. I think my misunderstanding was that all this organizing carried over to your Nook automatically, which was why you said you rarely use the shelving system (?) May have misread it wrong; if so, I'm sorry.

Have also seen mention of Calibre Companion, so will look into that as well. Excited about new stuff to play with! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Calibre and calibre companion are both really useful tools. And very flexible so you can set them up how it makes sense to you, with lots or very little detail, whatever works best for you!

For example, you can create a catalog of all your books thru calibre and sideload that epup for quick reference to everything you have. So if you've purchased books by the same author, but different vendors, they will all show up in that authors list (yes, you can even indicate the series and put them in order.)

Calibre companion will retain the tags, metadata, etc of any books you have sideloaded from your pc to your HD. If you're not interested in syncing your reading to another device, you can sideload all your books (then archive all your B&N purchases, so you dont see duplicates.) Or you can sideload all your nonB&N purchases and then say, all the books by a particular author if you're in the midst of reading a series. Whatever makes sense to you!

Between those two features and the search function (which is quite good BTW) have found that dont need the library or the shelves feature at all!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

Calibre and calibre companion are both really useful tools. And very flexible so you can set them up how it makes sense to you, with lots or very little detail, whatever works best for you!

For example, you can create a catalog of all your books thru calibre and sideload that epup for quick reference to everything you have. So if you've purchased books by the same author, but different vendors, they will all show up in that authors list (yes, you can even indicate the series and put them in order.)

Calibre companion will retain the tags, metadata, etc of any books you have sideloaded from your pc to your HD. If you're not interested in syncing your reading to another device, you can sideload all your books (then archive all your B&N purchases, so you dont see duplicates.) Or you can sideload all your nonB&N purchases and then say, all the books by a particular author if you're in the midst of reading a series. Whatever makes sense to you!

Between those two features and the search function (which is quite good BTW) have found that dont need the library or the shelves feature at all!

That sums it up pretty well. If you want to have a catalog of EVERY book you own on your device , you want to make a catalog in Calibre and sideload that catalog to your device. You would have to add your BN books to your Calibre library if you want them included in the catalog. That much does not require the app.

CC creates a catalog on your device for you, but it only contains those books that have been sideloaded to your device. It automatically updates the catalog every time you add or delete books from your device when you sync up to Calibre. I don't bother with shelving my sideloaded book because I have a simple automated catalog for them in the CC, complete with covers and metadata. Saves tons of time and I love having that color catalog to browse through.

There are free apps that do something similar to this, but I prefer the CC because 1) I have control over the content that is in the descriptions, tags, etc.Other apps only show the metadata that they find with the book.  2) I prefer reading on my stock reader and most apps require you to read the book within their app. CC allows me to choose my reader for each book, so I can choose ezpdf for pdfs, stock reader for epubs, OD for audiobooks (Yes, I include audiobooks in my Calibre library, another reason for loving the CC app).  3) Integration with Calibre and the created catalog are outstanding, the best I've seen, using the CC app.

Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

Re: book shelf program from Google

I figured out a way that I can use Calibre and Calibre Companion to create a work around for shelving. I used tags to be my shelving. Tha way i'll always have the info there weather or not i have my computer on. In other words I cut my tags down to things like mystery, drama, romance, etc. Made the tags as i would name shelves. Then if the book was one of a series I put the name of the series then used a hyphen for the then author's name. I put numbers in front of the tags to further sort the books into categories. The catalog people talk about only gives you a list and unless you are connected to the computer you lose the categories and other info you might need.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Yes, tags = shelves.

When you create the catalog in calibre, you have a format option. One option is more columnar/spreadsheetish. The other option is to create an epub of your catalog. You sideload that epub onto your device. Then you have it when you arent connected to your computer. ( And you can do fun little things like have the catalog put check marks next to titles of books you've read, etc.)

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

FYI, did you know when you want to edit your tags, especially if you want to delete (the useless, utterly redundant ones), you can do it en mass? You dont have to do each book individually.  Go over to left hand side where the tags are, and just start deleting the useless tags.  Theres a way to add them en mass as too (but I cant explain it well.)

Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

Yes you are correct but you only have a list. You then have to do a search for the book in order to find the book. This doesn't do anything for me if I still have to search.
Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

Yes that is why I was able to edit 2,012 books so quickly.