New User
esme_73SM
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

books without covers; covers in gallery

Some of the books in my library do not have covers (some are b+n, some are not). However, the covers for ALL of them are in my Gallery. How do I reunite my books with their covers?? Help is very much appreciated!! 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: books without covers; covers in gallery

Are any of these books sideloaded?
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
ankala
0 Kudos

Case in point is the (last year's new release of) nook book The Hobbit. In the library, you see the beautiful cover which Tolkien illustrated. But when you open the nook book, you go to the title page, and not the cover.

I have wondered too, how the B&N ads for the HD/HD+ show this Hobbit cover full screen?

It is not possible to get the cover into a full screen reader view as a result!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

1. I believe I read somewhere that there are different copyrights for the thumbnail picture of the cover (like the one used on the B&N website and in your library) and the full size picture of the cover.

That is probably why you often do not find a full cover picture inside the ebook.

2. The Nook devices only use cover pictures that are included in the ePub file. Covers that are in a separate image file (usually with the same name as the book file) are not used. Those separate image files are probably the ones showing up in the gallery.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

ankala wrote:

I have wondered too, how the B&N ads for the HD/HD+ show this Hobbit cover full screen?

It is not possible to get the cover into a full screen reader view as a result!

Those ads images are all "photoshopped". The Nook ads often show things not possible on a real Nook device.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

I believe that it is possible to add covers to B&N eBooks using the free program calibre - do a search for threads on calibre.  Basically, you can add the book to calibre then edit the metadata to include the cover and then do a convert ePub to ePub to add the cover to the file.  I know this works for sideloaded DRM free content and think it will work for DRM content as well. Note that you will not be able to open the book in calibre but you should be able to add the cover.

Good Luck!

Contributor
Alwzreading
0 Kudos

I think it also depends on the publisher. If the publisher doesn't include the cover art in the file of the book itself, you go directly to the title page of the book.
Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

I gave up on the cover issue for sideloaded epubs.  Sometimes if I install a different copy of the book the cover appears.  But I did an extensive search on this issue both on this forum and google.  I tried everything suggested and still about 20% of my sideloaded epubs appear without covers.  So I simply accept it as long as the book reads, then I'm good.  

I have also accepted the duplicated title issue in my  books file.  I can't seem to figure it out, and neither can anyone else.  So, as long as at least one copy of the book can be read and transferred to a shelf I create, then I'm ok with it.  Those are the only two annoyances I have with the HD+.

Frequent Contributor
karlpov
0 Kudos

Generally, if you want the book cover rather than the generic book icon to show on the Nook HD+ home (and this may go for other Nooks), you need to have the following line in the metadata section of the opf file: <meta name="cover" content="[cover graphic file ID]">. For that last you look up the ID in the opf file's manifest for the graphic (usually jpeg) of the cover. (The ID is not the same as the filename, though sometimes the filename is used as the ID.) Note that nothing must come between the < and the word "meta": a line such as <opf:meta name="cover" content="coverpic"> will not work until the "opf:" is deleted.

I find that this does not always work. At one point I deleted all my books because there were too many and then reloaded about half of them. Covers were fine. However, since then, the covers of books I add do not show up, just the standard light blue icon with the partial title. I can't figure out why this is happening. It seems to have nothing to do with the formatting of the epub.