Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

can't transfer files from PC

Today was the first time I tried connecting my HD+ to my PC. I wanted to sideload a movie.

When I connect, all it shows me is a drive labled "nook" and it has only two folders in it:

.fseventst

.Trashes

I thought I'd try to copy a movie and see if it would show up in my files. It told me the drive was write protected.

I cannot see any "My Files" or "My Video" folders

I cannot see my SD card

I do see the USB icon when I plug the NHD+ in, but if I change the storage to "camera" I don't get a folder at all on my PC and the "Nook" drive goes away.

I am running Windows XP and have tried rebooting both the PC and the Nook

Any help? I'd like to sideload some vids onto my SD card.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: can't transfer files from PC

1) Restart your Nook and try.

2) Restart your computer and your Nook and try.

From what I'm reading in the forums there are some people who are having problems with the folders showing up.

Things that work are:

a) removing SD Card if you have one.

b) restarting Nook.

c) restarting Computer.

d) reassigning drivers for Nook.

When you set it to Camera Mode (PTP) it really should work just fine. Not sure why you don't see any folders.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

how do I reassign the Nook drivers?

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld

FYI, I received an email from Calibre saying that the MTP software will not work on XP.  I wonder if this is the same problem that I had.  I was able to see a bit more though when I updated Windows with Windows Media Player 11 which is available at Windows downloads.  Hope that helps a bit.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

MyOwnLittleWorld wrote:

FYI, I received an email from Calibre saying that the MTP software will not work on XP.  I wonder if this is the same problem that I had.  I was able to see a bit more though when I updated Windows with Windows Media Player 11 which is available at Windows downloads.  Hope that helps a bit.

XP has no built in MTP support. Windows Media Player contains the MTP drivers you need for XP.
But Calibre seems to work only with those Windows versions that have built in MTP support.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

Thanks!! That did it!

:smileyhappy:

New User
Denbyak
0 Kudos

I have tried everything in this thread including erase and deregister to no avail. I just got the Nook Tablet.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

The nook Tablet is not an HD/+, are you in the correct forum?
Baron Wulfraed
New User
Hot-tamale
0 Kudos

I cannot copy any files to my Noon HD, in either USB or Camera mode.  In Camera mode, it shows up as MyNook but I canot copy any files to the "camera".  I've installed both WMP 11 and the Windows MTP Porting Kit.  Neither helped at all.  I've rebooted both the Nook and the PC several times.  I do not have wireless.  How does this problem get fixed?  I'm almost sorry that I bought a Nook.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Are you using a mac or windows pc? and if windows, which version?

New User
jcincsss
0 Kudos

I have had it with the Nook. For the life of me i can not see why this piece of junk does not let us, the buyer, put 3rd party apps nor files of any kind on it! It will not let you store your apps on the SD card, will not transfer files, and most of all it copy rights your SD cards so you can not use them for anything else!! The Nook was going under when i bought it so why the company will not open the Nook baffles me. Software update needed concerning these issues!! Please pass this on because i am going to advise everyone not to buy this product! I am sorry i ever did. :-(

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

jcincsss wrote:

I have had it with the Nook. For the life of me i can not see why this piece of junk does not let us, the buyer, put 3rd party apps nor files of any kind on it! It will not let you store your apps on the SD card, will not transfer files, and most of all it copy rights your SD cards so you can not use them for anything else!! The Nook was going under when i bought it so why the company will not open the Nook baffles me. Software update needed concerning these issues!! Please pass this on because i am going to advise everyone not to buy this product! I am sorry i ever did. :-(

I'm not sure about your complaint that you can't "store" apps on the SD card.  Android (and other modern operating systems for that matter) expect apps to be installed in specifc places to that they will run.  So the limitation you imply is not real -- it's the way the operating system works.  Third party apps are readily available through Google Play.  Loading third party apps via ADB is also possible and works well, although it is not particularly safe loading from other sources than Google Play and B&N.

The Nook HD and HD+ clearly allow transfering files to and from other device, even using other than just via plugging it into a computer.  FTP progams and other file manager programs (like ES File Explorer in the Google Play) allow transfering via WiFi.  (You can mount a Windows drive and transfer files that way, for example, using the SMB protocol available in ES File Explorer.)

Where did you get the idea that "it" copyrights content you load on the SD card?  I missed that point and would like to understand.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

I'm going out on a limb, but I suspect the OP's SD card problem is that they don't have anything that understands exFAT formatted file systems -- which the HD/+ uses to allow storage of video files larger than 2/4 Gigabytes in size (unsigned 32 bit integer is 4 GB, but Java doesn't have unsigned ints as I recall so it "sees" 0 to 2GB then overflows to negative numbers; exFAT likely uses 64 bit ints, and even half the range is larger than any memory card).

The other thing is that the HD/+ do NOT mount as "card readers" wherein the host computer gets direct access to the filesystem. Instead they use MTP; where the Nook itself handles the file system access (including deleting partial files if the USB is disconnected before a file is fully transferred) doing one operation at a time.

Baron Wulfraed