Reply
New User
SammyWin21
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-04-2013

microSD card on Nook HD?

I recently bought a Nook HD 8G, but I decided I would need more space than what already came on it, so I bought a 32G microSD card, because I was told I could put those in to get more space. I installed and formatted the SD card with no problem, but when I download apps, they just go straight into the nook memory instead of the card. It's filling up my nook memory pretty quick, and it's making me nervous wondering why none of the 32G are being used. I really hope I didn't waste my money on this card.

 

So my questions:
1) How does the microSD card work?
2) Will it eventually use the space on the card instead of my nook's memory?
3) Is there any way I can fix it to where it goes into the card?

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎12-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

[ Edited ]

As far as I know, you can store media such as movies, music and some books on the SD card as well as documents, etc. But if you download apps, they go to the internal storage. And I'm not sure if you can use a program such as SDMove to transfer them to the SD card.

 

I might be mistaken in this, but IIRC, this was mentioned elsewhere here, several times in the past. Unless they've changed something with the latest update, I'm afraid they'll all go to internal. However, out of 50+ books, 257 app files, fluff files and magazines, I've only used 5.5G of storage.

 

How many apps are you putting on your Nook???

New User
hootch
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

I don't know if apps have to be in the internal memory. I find the best way to move files is to hook to your computer. That's a simple drag and drop option.
Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
Posts: 90
Registered: ‎06-21-2013

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

[ Edited ]

Wallacegal is right, apps go to internal by default on the Nook, generally speaking apps do not use all that much space with the exception of a few games such as Real Racer 3 for instance, the only way around this is to root the nook, which I really do not recommend as long as Barnes and Noble keep supporting the HD's.

 

You could use a psuedo root like dual boot N2A cards, but that works best on slower Microsd class 4 cards and generally on cards no bigger than 8gb according to the Cyanogen mod people whose software is actually being used on those cards.

 

I also use a 32gb card, and I'm gald I got it as I store lots of movies, pictures, and music on it that would have filled up my Nook long ago.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
Posts: 287
Registered: ‎12-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?


Fat_Old_Guy wrote:

....

 

You could use a psuedo root like dual boot N2A cards, but that works best on slower Microsd class 4 cards and generally on cards no bigger than 8gb according to the Cyanogen mod people whose software is actually being used on those cards.

 

...


That is not currently correct.  8, 16 and 32 GB SD cards that allow dual booting to CM 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) are available at (at least) AndroidForNook.com. 

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
Posts: 90
Registered: ‎06-21-2013

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

[ Edited ]

I never said that it did not work on larger cards, I said it works best on the card type I listed, I did not make it up, the Cyanogenmod people themselves tested it on most cards brands and types and determined that it works best on Sandisk class 4 cards. Size of the card is less of an issue than class, and some 16gb cards work fine, but as the size increases, the likelyhood of issues does as well.

 

As for N2A and others selling the cards, they sell whatever they can to make money, they are pirates in the opinion of many, they take the work that Cyanogenmod does for free, and without asking for permision sell it for a profit, on cards that while they may work, are often not recommended as the performance can suffer.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
Posts: 287
Registered: ‎12-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?


Fat_Old_Guy wrote:

I never said that it did not work on larger cards, I said it works best on the card type I listed, I did not make it up, the Cyanogenmod people themselves tested it on most cards brands and types and determined that it works best on Sandisk class 4 cards. Size of the card is less of an issue than class, and some 16gb cards work fine, but as the size increases, the likelyhood of issues does as well.

 

As for N2A and others selling the cards, they sell whatever they can to make money, they are pirates in the opinion of many, they take the work that Cyanogenmod does for free, and without asking for permision sell it for a profit, on cards that while they may work, are often not recommended as the performance can suffer.


Actually when you said "generally on cards no bigger than 8gb" you were flat out wrong.  Sandisk Class 4 cards (8, 16 and 32 GB size) are fully reliable for running CM from them -- I've used them for 18 months on a Nook Tablet and more recently on a Nook HD+.  And for your information, the company I mentioned (AndroidForNook.com) pays the CM developers for the use of the software.  I don't know about N2A and others providing payment to the CM developers, but the re-packaging of shareware (which CM is) in a form that is easy to use and then sold for profit is normal in the software world. 

So you have your opinion on this and I have mine, and this is my last comment on it.  Have a great day.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎12-23-2011

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?


PJLLB wrote:


Actually when you said "generally on cards no bigger than 8gb" you were flat out wrong.  Sandisk Class 4 cards (8, 16 and 32 GB size) are fully reliable for running CM from them -- I've used them for 18 months on a Nook Tablet and more recently on a Nook HD+.  And for your information, the company I mentioned (AndroidForNook.com) pays the CM developers for the use of the software.  I don't know about N2A and others providing payment to the CM developers, but the re-packaging of shareware (which CM is) in a form that is easy to use and then sold for profit is normal in the software world. 

So you have your opinion on this and I have mine, and this is my last comment on it.  Have a great day.


Just out of curiosity, could you point me to the area of their site that says they give back to the CM developers? Of course, if you can bring yourself to make another comment. I do know there are several sites out there that have taken the CM developer builds and are selling them for profit with no thought to the developers themselves. It's a touchy area and I'd just like to see that on the androidfornook site.

 

And if you're going to spend money, why wouldn't you just go to XDA developers and follow either verygreen's or leapinlar's instructions and just burn your own? Why pay someone else to do it?

 

Just curious...

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?


wallacegal wrote:

PJLLB wrote:


Actually when you said "generally on cards no bigger than 8gb" you were flat out wrong.  Sandisk Class 4 cards (8, 16 and 32 GB size) are fully reliable for running CM from them -- I've used them for 18 months on a Nook Tablet and more recently on a Nook HD+.  And for your information, the company I mentioned (AndroidForNook.com) pays the CM developers for the use of the software.  I don't know about N2A and others providing payment to the CM developers, but the re-packaging of shareware (which CM is) in a form that is easy to use and then sold for profit is normal in the software world. 

So you have your opinion on this and I have mine, and this is my last comment on it.  Have a great day.


It's a touchy area and I'd just like to see that on the androidfornook site.

 

And if you're going to spend money, why wouldn't you just go to XDA developers and follow either verygreen's or leapinlar's instructions and just burn your own? Why pay someone else to do it?

 

Just curious...


Me too as would then recommend anddroidfornook over the other's if that is the case.

 

As to "just burn your own?" There are many that can't do that. Lack of knowledge unable to follow the instructions due to lack of understanding of the process.

 

For us more savy it can even be confusing on this point or that step kind of thing.Had to go back and re-read steps to get the jhist of it before proceeding. Sometimes their instructions are overly complicated without explanation. Then you have to read the full thread of comments to get what's going on with a particular flavor. Then there is the whole installing Emmc vs. SD card that gets people confused.

 

And I have over 30 years computer technician experience and run dual boot Win7 & Linux system. And I find it a tad confusing and daunting at times.

.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
PJLLB
Posts: 287
Registered: ‎12-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?


wallacegal wrote:

PJLLB wrote:


Actually when you said "generally on cards no bigger than 8gb" you were flat out wrong.  Sandisk Class 4 cards (8, 16 and 32 GB size) are fully reliable for running CM from them -- I've used them for 18 months on a Nook Tablet and more recently on a Nook HD+.  And for your information, the company I mentioned (AndroidForNook.com) pays the CM developers for the use of the software.  I don't know about N2A and others providing payment to the CM developers, but the re-packaging of shareware (which CM is) in a form that is easy to use and then sold for profit is normal in the software world. 

So you have your opinion on this and I have mine, and this is my last comment on it.  Have a great day.


Just out of curiosity, could you point me to the area of their site that says they give back to the CM developers? Of course, if you can bring yourself to make another comment. I do know there are several sites out there that have taken the CM developer builds and are selling them for profit with no thought to the developers themselves. It's a touchy area and I'd just like to see that on the androidfornook site.

 

And if you're going to spend money, why wouldn't you just go to XDA developers and follow either verygreen's or leapinlar's instructions and just burn your own? Why pay someone else to do it?

 

Just curious...


The AFN product is more than just the software -- it's also a configuration that is fully set up and tested for the Nooks, plus support and followup help.  For example, dual-boot menus, tailored setup wizards, etc. are part of the product. Paying someone else for this is usually a problem for me too -- but "burning your own" isn't exactly that simple for everyone and in particular for Android (CM).  I tried doing it myself first, but the learning curver was taking too much time.  And the cost of a fully configured product was not much more than an SD card itself -- and my time and avoiding the furstrations of doing it myself were more than worth it for me.  It might not be for others. 

 

Check out http://www.androidfornook.com/forum/thread-44-page-2.html.  I think this answers some of your questions.  Note that the thread was begun in early 2012 but company still exists.  It is a one-person shop (the "Dean" in the thread), although I think he enlists his sons to help on occasion. 

 

(The "last post" comment was to avoid "back and forth" with the prior poster to whom I was responding.)

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎12-23-2011

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

@orb9220

 

I dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu but don't find it hard to do since they've made it almost foolproof. And I don't have but a couple years of tinkering, but I found leapinlar's latest instructions for his dualboot hybrid very easy. Much easier than his original when they were just figuring out how to root the HD+. However, one of the comments I made on another post here still holds. If people don't know what a .zip file is, they have no business trying to root anything, easy or not.

 

@PJLLB

 

Conveniently, I can't read that thread because apparently, you have to be a forum member to do so. That said, if they're giving back to the original developers, I would think they would want that clearly on the front page of their site. Since they don't, we can only take your word for it. That said, I'll stick to XDA. It might not be easy-peasy as some would want, but it's pretty easy if you read the instructions and took me less than 15 minutes. Plus, I can donate direct to the developer there.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
Posts: 90
Registered: ‎06-21-2013

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

[ Edited ]

@ PJLLB

 

If I am wrong then so are the people at xda-developers.com and cyanogenmod. I'm not going to argue with you as you have been confrontational from the first reply, the info is easy enough to find. I have no doubt a company that sells the cards would say they work, as I assume they would test them before selling them.

 

My first post in this thread on this subject was merely informational so that if the OP wanted to go the dual boot route, they knew what they were getting into, and that their was no guarentee that the card would work as I have read about people haveing to buy more than one card to find one that worked, even using the Sandisk class 4 recommendation.

 

Also, I never said larger cards don't work, so quit cherry picking my posts to suit your argument, but both xda-developers, and cyanogenmod forums had at more than one occasion posted tests that they did with different cards and both said that the best results were with Sandisc class 4 cards, and that 4 and 8 gb cards had the best results for stability and the speed they booted up, My saying best results is not saying that it won't work on the other larger and or faster cards, no matter how much you want it to so you can continue to argue.

 

Another point, I read the forum post you linked for AndroidForNook.com, and it does indeed imply that they "paid" for the cyanogenmod software, but it says it was done by using the "Donate" button on the page, which is really not the same thing as getting permission to sell their work for a profit, no matter how small the profit may be.

 

That said if I had to choose a company to buy from between N2A and Androidfornook, I woulp pick the latter, but that is a moot point as I can, and have done the work myself.

  I still have my doubts as to the way both companies have dealt with the Cyanogen mod people. Yes their work is open scource, and no, neither company is doing anything illegal as far as I can tell by selling their work, but it's not the legallity issue that bugs me, it's more an ethical issue imo.

New User
tsu2
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-29-2013
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

To the OP,
I also just purchased a Nook HD+, and inserted a microSDcard the same size as my Internal Memory.

To my surprise, after formatting the card, the entire Nook OS seemed to be transferred to the micro SDcard instead of what I expected which was to run the OS in internal memory but simply modify mount (point) the data directories to the SD card. This is really weird and inconsistent with any other device I've seen.

In plain words, it looks like what this means is that you can then go into "All Settings" and switch between running your Nook on your internal memory <or> your SDcard but it also means you cannot have access to both at the same time.

You can access for example 16GB internal memory <or> switch to whatever size of memory card (eg 32GB) but you won't have access to both internal and sdcard at the same time (16GB + 32GB = 48GB).

After seeing this result, I <undid> the formatting on the SDcard (ie. inserted into another machine and formatted with FAT/FAT32).

If you do this, then if you install a File Manager (I recommend from the Google Store "File Manager HD" or possibly "Discoverer") you can then see both your Internal Memory as well as the SDcard during the same boot session... and can move/copy files back and forth from your Internal Memory to the SDcard.

HTH.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
Posts: 1,009
Registered: ‎11-24-2012

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

On an HD/+ the INTERNAL memory is mounted as /sdcard. A real SD card in the slot is mounted under /ext_sdcard 

 

Baron Wulfraed
New User
tsu2
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-29-2013
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

Interesting, I'll take a close look to look for /ext_sdcard. Is there any known reason why the OS is mounted as /sdcard and not the usual and expected root (/)?

Am also curious now whether there is something "above" the OS, whether the reference to /sdcard for the default OS might imply the OEM internal memory is physiclly mounted as an SDcard.
Contributor
redkirk
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎04-01-2013
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

[ Edited ]

Sammy,

 

Get "File Commander" from the Nook Store.  You can easily move files to wherever you want on your Nook HD and microSD card.  I used to use "Open Explorer" on my Nook Color, but when I bought my HD it started crashing on large files.  I haven't had a problem since moving to "File Commander."

 

~ redkirk

 

P.S.:  To the folks who hijacked the discussion to rooting and/or N2A-type cards: It'd be great if you stayed on topic.  Move that discussion elsewhere, please.


SammyWin21 wrote:

I recently bought a Nook HD 8G, but I decided I would need more space than what already came on it, so I bought a 32G microSD card, because I was told I could put those in to get more space. I installed and formatted the SD card with no problem, but when I download apps, they just go straight into the nook memory instead of the card. It's filling up my nook memory pretty quick, and it's making me nervous wondering why none of the 32G are being used. I really hope I didn't waste my money on this card.

 

So my questions:
1) How does the microSD card work?
2) Will it eventually use the space on the card instead of my nook's memory?
3) Is there any way I can fix it to where it goes into the card?


It's all about Love, Life,
The Kids and Wife,
Moons, Tunes,
And Animal Balloons
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎12-23-2011

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

[ Edited ]
@redkirk Maybe you need to read through the thread again. Rooting came up as a solution to the problem the OP was having and evolved naturally. If you don't want to bother with reading about it, start another thread. Don't tell people what they can and cannot discuss. Or how to try to help someone. This is a community forum, not your personal pulpit and it's tiring putting up with people who are either confrontational or think theirs is the only answer and everyone else should just shut up. I came back to add that people toss out a variety of ideas on these threads. One way isn't the only way. Just because I'm in a pissy mood doesn't mean I should be rude to you however, you have no business being rude either.
Contributor
redkirk
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎04-01-2013
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?


wallacegal wrote:
@redkirk Maybe you need to read through the thread again. Rooting came up as a solution to the problem the OP was having and evolved naturally. <snipping out your rudeness>

I'm not trying to be rude, conforntational, or etc.  I did read the entire thread.  Rooting is a non-standard resource and can easily brick the Nook (even if you think you're following the instructions).  For non-technical people it is best to use approved B&N solutions.  Moving the rooting discussion elsewhere makes it easier for the non-techies to sort through the thread without getting confused.  Most people want a simple solution - quick and easy.  Do I have to drop a handful of smilies to show the non-rude spirit of my post?

It's all about Love, Life,
The Kids and Wife,
Moons, Tunes,
And Animal Balloons
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎12-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?


redkirk wrote:

wallacegal wrote:
@redkirk Maybe you need to read through the thread again. Rooting came up as a solution to the problem the OP was having and evolved naturally. <snipping out your rudeness>

I'm not trying to be rude, conforntational, or etc.  I did read the entire thread.  Rooting is a non-standard resource and can easily brick the Nook (even if you think you're following the instructions).  For non-technical people it is best to use approved B&N solutions.  Moving the rooting discussion elsewhere makes it easier for the non-techies to sort through the thread without getting confused.  Most people want a simple solution - quick and easy.  Do I have to drop a handful of smilies to show the non-rude spirit of my post?


So, if there are no simple solutions, quick and easy as you put it, are we all supposed to say, "Gee, I don't know," and leave it at that? Because that's not a solution of any kind either. Ideas and solutions are tossed out there to people's questions. If rooting is one, so be it. But no one is forced to take any advice given here.

 

And just a comment, but I still haven't found anyone who has bricked their HD/HD+. XDA offers a relatively simple solution when one can't reboot to stock which has also been posted here and on other forums. Only with internal root will one usually have a problem. With an SD card, you pull the card, the Nook boots to stock.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
Posts: 90
Registered: ‎06-21-2013

Re: microSD card on Nook HD?

Redkirk, You may also notice that when I mentioned rooting, I also said It was not something I recommended, not because of bricking, as Walacegirl said it's easy enough to root, I said it because the issue the OP was facing was not as bad as it may have seemed to them, as most apps have a fairly small footprint.

All that having been said, if the OP still found the issue to be something they wanted to eliminate, then rooting, or using a dual boot SD card may be something they could look into. It's not for you, me, or anyone else to decide what they should, or should not do, and the more info they have, the better.