Frequent Contributor
cindylee60

my wall charger is hissing

The unit that plugs into the wall began hissing a few days ago. It only seems to hiss when my battery is at or below 15%, the hissing will go away as the battery gets closer to 20% and then go away and charge as normal.

Also, if I lightly squeeze the unit between my fingers, the hissing will go away and then return when I let go. It doesn't seem to get especially hot.

I tried calling my local B&N to get it replaced, but they said I should call CS since I bought my HD+ online. I called CS and spent 45 min between talking to them and being put on hold. I couldn't get the rep to understand that it was not my battery or device that was hissing, but the wall charger. She kept wanting me to send the reader itself back. Finally she said (before she hung up) that I'd get a new charger in 3 to 5 days and when I asked for a confiirming email, she said I'd get that in 24-48 hours. So far I haven't go either.

Anyway, has anyone else seen this issue? I still use it, but make sure I'm in the room for the whole time and feel it now and then to make sure it's not getting overly hot.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: my wall charger is hissing

I don't understand why your local store would not replace it. Call another store and see what they have to say.

But you do need to get it replaced, don't fool around with electricity.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

agree with post above.   It's a strange phenomenom, but I'd be worried about potential fire hazard.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

[ Edited ]

If this were a transformer type charger I'd suspect a loose winding that is vibrating in response to the AC line frequency (does the "hiss" seem to be some multiple of 60Hz?).

As a switching supply (I hope -- they are smaller and cover wider sources; a 120V transformer would only usable in the US, but a switching supply typically can handle european 240V too) I don't know what would be vibrating -- obviously it is load based, and the low battery is sucking up current like mad...

I'd concur though... Just take the whole unit to a store (with the Nook near death) so you can DEMONSTRATE the "hiss" to the staff. Don't tell them it was a mail-order...

Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

My charger also hisses. All the time. Plugged in or not. It really bothers me when it's quiet (usually when I'm reading), so I just don't use that charger (it is not as though they are difficult to come by).

I hadn't tried squeezing it. I think you've just suggested a new way for people to think I'm crazy.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

I called again that they (again) said they'd send a new one out. This time I got the shipping notice though so hopefully in a few days I'll have a new, non-hissing wall charger.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Best of the luck with the new charger Cindy.

I use the PC most of the time so have avoided all this stuff. Have been lucky too - no cable problems which seem to be quite common. B&N should just fire the company that makes chargers and USB cables for them and hire someone else.

Contributor
itsabirditsaplane
0 Kudos

ive been searching for two days for this topic!! recieved my nook hd (the white one) as an xmas present. i dont know when it was bought or if it was bought online/instore. I LOVEEEEE it but HATE the charger buzzing. does anyone know if the store will take the whole system away or just replace the charger? cuz i dont really want to give up my system only to start all over with orginizing and adding files and so forth.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

They sent me out a new wall charger and cord. It now charges very quietly. Call them, but be prepared to wait on hold for a long time. 

Contributor
cecarow
0 Kudos

Yup, mine hisses (good way to describe it) but only once I disconnect my hd. It's fine when the hd is charging. I just have to remember to unplug the charger from the wall once the hd is charged. I've never had this happen with another charger.
Reader
BoilerUpBaby
0 Kudos

I noticed that with mine today to. I have the unit plugged into a power strip at my office. For the past two days, I thought my ears have just been ringing like crazy and it was actually the ac adapter for my nook. If you unplug it, you can hold it up to your ear and still hear is ringing for a few minutes. Flaw with the adapter possibly?

New User
dz66
0 Kudos

Picked up a brand new Nook HD 7 inch today, and the adapter is making this hissing noise consistently. Can't believe it. Even without the Nook plugged into the adapter, as long as the adapter is on the wall, it makes this noise. Take the adapter off the wall plug, it will continue 'hissing' for another 10-20 seconds.

Unbelieveable. I have never bought a gadget and have this kind of quality issue before.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18

It's a common issue

I have IBM power adapters for laptops that do the same thing (and have for years).  It's a characteristic of the inverter technology.  That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, but the noise is not symptomatic of a further problem.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

Re: It's a common issue

I have the HD+ and my daughter had the HD.  One of our chargers hisses but the other doesn't.  I think it's harmless but the sound is rather annoying.  For me it doesn't hiss when the nook is plugged in, only when the charger is plugged into the power but not connected to the nook.

New User
cavedawg
0 Kudos

Thank you! I love the fact that I'm not the only one suffering this problem. I just go the HD+ and i'm going to see how it goes. When I first started to charge, it was very loud sort of tv white noise (for those of us old enough, will know what i mean). Now that it's been charging for about 30 min, it seems to not be as loud; or, I'm not being as bothered by it.

Was there supposed to be some kind of breaking-in period for the power supply? I suppose if it keeps on going on, I will do the suggestions in this forum and take it back.

thanks for having this post!