Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

need an update with fixes soon

or I'm going to have to take my HD+ back. It is basically unusable. I am deregistering and registering once again for the 3rd time. My entire BN library is now unavailable. I went back into "manage content" etc and made sure all the books were checked, hit save and I was thrown out. And of course, it did not save. So now I can't even read my content let alone do anything else.

I could cry. I was so looking forward to this upgrade from my 2 year old NC but its like living with a 2 year old in the terrible twos phase or an ex hubby, it knows what its supposed to do but it isn't going to do it if it doesn't want to or it's going to throw a fit. .

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: need an update with fixes soon

well that didn't help at all. Even my list of archive books is empty. sigh,

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

i'm curious...what problems led to having to erase/deregister 3 times???

Jeremy

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

refusal to save changes to profile, shelves, home page or saves randomly revert back to original settings or they change to some random thing that you can not then get rid off without risking losing everything again (ex: removing a book from a shelf deleted the shelf). I've had my device a week so the list is too long to go into more detail)

throwing me back to my home page when trying to shelve books or manage content or saving content to a shelf. 

disappearing shelves, then the complete library even after a deregister and re-register.

getting stuck forever on search.

I did think deregistering and registering again would set the main profile back to the default settings...did that but not the third time.

I haven't done much changes. Set up a few small shelves, changed wallpaper, that's about it, edited image for the profile (once). And I've done those same things over and over with the user guide up on my PC to mak sure I'm doing it right, step by step except for the profile image since that wasn't covered.

But they never last or the device does not react the way the user guide says it should. I can't tell anymore what changes are actually going into affect or not that might be causing this to happen so I can't tell if I did something wrong or not. Thought it would be easier and less frustrating to start over from scratch then keep fighting a losing battle but now that doesn't work anymore either.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Perhaps a new device is your best option. I would do an exchange. Mine has been perfect.
Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

I have had none of them problems you're describing. I agree that you should try an exchange before flat out returning-- looks like you got a lemon.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

You are a good writer, I feel your pain...you got a lemon. Trade it in and don't give up. I have noticed that HD+ is not zippy...we must WAIT for many long seconds! Let us know how your "new" one is.
All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Compulsive Reader, I've been reading your posts and it's pretty clear you got a real lemon.

You should, as others have rightly pointed out, get an exchange. I have two HD+s and they don't have ANY  of the problems you mention. Again, as others have pointed out, they don't have them on their HD+s either.

All I can think of is that something in the OS or disk got corrupted. Best to trade it in for a new one while you're still in the Replacement Window.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Thank you everyone. I've given this one every chance. Tried not to give up but it's just not working out. I'll have to give CS a call and see if I can get an exchange and hope it works better before I give up on the HD+. Thank you.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Now I know why people complain about CS. Do NOT use the chat online help. I was more frustrated after than when we started. They have a list of answers and soluions to use and if those don't apply or I've already done them, they just keep repeating them. And telling me to be patient because it takes awhile for the HD+ to sync up with my online library....uh....it DID sync up..right before it lost everything. This device is supposed to be faster and better than my ne1, nst or my nc and none of them required hours to sync up!

To download my entire library on the NC took less time than I am supposed to wait just for my HD+ to sync up and recognize my libary. In fact..they told me several hours were needed. I don't think so. click, done with that exercize in frustration.

Well anyway, called CS on the phone and that was much more productive..I hope anyway. Was told they have been following our complaints and there is a new update that was just released today and should come ota within the next few hours or I could download it from website and sideload it. But I can't seem to find it anywhere. If that doesn't help, I'm to call back and they will replace my device for me...

Now..where is that update? :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I haven't seen an update. Another thread had a mention of a Nook HD+ owner who got told the same thing. However, again, the device didn't get the update + no one else has.

What someone pointed out is that you can search for the software updates page.

I can't find it but you might have better luck: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Support/379003184

Also, this is what they write to get Over the Air Update:

To Receive an Update via OTA (Over the Air)

1.       Your NOOK must be powered ON or in “SLEEP MODE” and connected to a Wi-Fi source.

2.       When designated by our servers your NOOK will quietly download the update while it is in sleep mode or while being used.

3.       NOOK Tablet, NOOK Simple Touch and NOOK Color will install the update only while in sleep mode; sleep mode can be activated by tapping the power button.  NOOK 1st Edition should install the update as long as it is powered on. 

4.       Once downloaded, a new software update typically takes 5-10 minutes to install.

CS TipsTechnical NotesTier 2 AdvancedCaseMedia

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I will be very upset if there is no update after I was told by CS on the phone that there would be..this afternoon.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

The 02 update is not listed either? Is it possible that only newly registered or re registered devices are receiving it?

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs

There was an update available for my HD+ today. I just went to settings and device information and clicled on chect for update. My Nook started to update itself automatically. It is version 2.04. I wonder what happened to version 2.03? LOL.. I DON't know what it fixed yet but I guess timewill tell.
Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

Just updated mine thanks for the info
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

The updates are also now posted on the support page.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Thank you. The update is now listed for download on the website as well but I'm going the update from the device route first. I sure hope this fixes things.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

[ Edited ]

The link to the ultraviolet account is now enabled.

Unfortunately, only the image of 1 of the 6 UV movies in my Flixter account showed up, and it could not be played (only shows the movie is 2 minutes). Still have to access them through the Flixter app.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I wasn't sure that it had fixed my library because it was still listing the books I had manually listed one by one and my first two attempts to "select all and save" threw me out again but it worked the third time. Yeah!!! So it's a wait and see thing now to see if they STAY and don't disappear again. Crossing my fingers.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Volume, music player play list, scrolling, seem fixed or improved. I haven't added an sd card, so can't address those issues.