Reader 4
bst19581958
0 Kudos

nook hd+ freezing in the library

[ Edited ]

so far i have had three nook hd+ machines and have had to return all three of them. the reason for this is if i put more then 2000 books on the nook the library will freeze up tight. have recived an error message of the active library is not responding close it or wait. my nook tablet that came out before the nook hd's works just fine without freezing up and it has 7000+ books on it.  any ideas on how to solve this i really want a hd+ have tried everything the store nook tech said to do. tried with my sd card which was formatted by the nook hd+, tried it without the sd card with my sideloaded books going to primary storage on the nook. and nothing changes. please help am desperate. many thanks.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: nook hd+ freezing in the library

That's a LOT of books. (I'm envious:smileyvery-happy:)

When you say it freezes up tight, what exactly are you doing? Are you in MyLibrary and thats where it freezes up? Did you put the sideloaded books into a folder? Give us some more information to work with.

Reader 4
bst19581958
0 Kudos

i am in my library where you can swipe either down or up and and take a look at the books that you have. when i loaded the books i put them into the my files/books folder which is where i have always put them since the nook color. please let me know it there is any more questions and thanks for answering.

Contributor
CascaraBorzoi
0 Kudos

At a little over 1,770 books on my HD+, I am starting to see the signals of the "Library" and "My Shelves" views freezing up (as I move down in them, they are getting jerky and not flowing up the screen smoothly, and the covers are taking longer to appear).

My Nook Color had maxed out and WAS freezing up, which is one of the reasons I got the Nook HD+. I hoped that the faster processor would help out. It has, but I can see the limits of it already.

I certainly hope that this is something that B&N can fix!!!

Reader 4
bst19581958
0 Kudos

i got mine up to 7200 books and it started freezing on me approximately one third of the way down the list and it got to the point where it would take you 3 to 5 swipes to get from one row of books to the next. now this happened with a sd card 32gb formatted by the nook with my side loaded stuff on the card. all i deal with is just books don't have anything else on it. tried a brand new nook hd+ that never had my card in it and put my books on the internal storage  and it did the same thing. the nook tablet which came right after the nook color woks just fine with all the books on it. and i download all the freebies i can get with the free friday books every friday which usually is anywhere from 10 to 30+ books

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

MyLibrary\Books seems to be a little app in and of itself which goes thru your device, looking for all your epubs and indexing/ amassing them together in one place. As you add more and more content, you can see it getting slower as it reindexes the content. (And if you've been sloppy and left things in your download folder, but they show up in books anyway, it becomes more apparent.) Few things you can try:

1) There is a free app called Open Explorer, download it. See if you can access your sideloaded content through that more easily.There are probably other file explorer programs available that you could try, just happens to be the one I am familiar with.

2) Are you using calibre on your pc? There's an app called CalibreCompanion available in the GPstore. Costs $3 or so. You can sync it to your device, and if you are going to sideload all that content anyway, you will have access to all your tags (which you can use instead of shelves.) You csn have the covers etc. too.

If you still have the device, give those ideas a try. Hope that helps.

Contributor
CascaraBorzoi
0 Kudos

On my Nook Color, I ended up using Search, which works but which I'm not totally happy with. I often just want to wander through my shelves or through the library, looking for what strikes my fancy to read at that moment. Using Search, I have to have decided on an author I want to read already, or else go through multiple searches.