Inspired Contributor
lotsahelp
0 Kudos

nook hd library not showing up when plugging into computer

I want to sideload books from my daughters hd to my tablet. I have done it from my nook tablet to her hd no problem. But when i plug her hd in i cant see anything in the library. I searched other postings and still not sure what to do. Please advise.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: nook hd library not showing up when plugging into computer

Do you mean that when you plug her Nook HD into the PC then you don't find anything in the Library folder?

I think you'll have to get Nook for PC app and download to that using her account. Then you can transfer from Nook for PC's folder where it keeps books to your Tablet.

My understanding was that B&N books aren't accessible on Nook HD and HD+. They are kept in a secret folder.

Inspired Contributor
lotsahelp
0 Kudos

the nook hd shows up on my pc very differently from my nook tablet, for the tablet it is easy to file manage through the pc. Nook hd is much harder.

In order to sideload books I had to access my daughters nook account then download to my pc then move to my nook tablet.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

lotsahelp wrote:

the nook hd shows up on my pc very differently from my nook tablet, for the tablet it is easy to file manage through the pc. Nook hd is much harder.

In order to sideload books I had to access my daughters nook account then download to my pc then move to my nook tablet.

Yes, the internal memory and BN library are no longer accessable to us on the HD devices as they've been in the past. I think because they are set up as media devices rather than storage devices as previous Nooks have been, so how and what we access on them is not what we've known before. The computer sees and displays them differently. As was already said, you still have access to those books through the Nook for PC app so they can be downloaded and then transferred. Then to get them from the HD to the NT, you'll have to use ADE of course if they are drm'd. No need for ADE to get them from the NT to the HD as it's already on the HD. 

Contributor
Ruffles5
0 Kudos

I am having a similar problem. None of my photo folders are showing up when I go in through the PC and I can no longer see files and folders that I downloaded through DropBox. I can see them IN the Nook but when I try to side-load more files and pictures from my PC I do not see the files where they should be, or ANYWHERE. For example, using ezPDF reader I downloaded several files from DropBox (ok, 50 files) and saved them to My Files in the app. In the past, files would show up in the ezPDF folder >> bookdata >> library. Now I don't see ANY files in this folder but in my Nook HD+ they are all there.

Any advice?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Ruffles5, Android 4.0 moved to a new file protocol called MTP that is spotty, to say the least.

So this is a common issue.

Your options are:

1) Go to Settings > Storage Management > USB Connectivity. Switch from MTP to PTP and see if that works.

2) Plug in and out a few times to PC and see if that works.

3) Use Dropbox to transfer files.

4) Use Open Explorer App and it has wireless tranfers if your PC and Nook share the same wireless network.

There's not really any REAL solution for the Android 4.0 issue. I've seen people have this MTP related issue across various Android devices.

Contributor
Ruffles5
0 Kudos

So far I am using DropBox but my problem is that I can't see the files I put in via DropBox when I plug into with my computer.

Using MTP allows me to only see folders like My Files, Pictures, etc. but the actual content is still missing.

I contacted BN support but they, of course, were no help. The only thing they suggested was to turn my Nook and computer off and on.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's an MTP problem.

I got it on Google Nexus 7 too. Got fixed by switching to PTP.

There's not really any solution. The MTP thing itself is broken. Sometimes it just decides to not show files.

What version of Windows are you on?

Note: It seems to be worst on Windows XP and Mac. I got major problems on Windows 8 too. Windows 7 seems to be most stable.

Someone suggested updating to latest version of Windows Media Player as that comes with MTP drivers.

Contributor
Ruffles5
0 Kudos

Both MTP and PTP have the same problem.

I am running Windows 7

Sigh, for some reason I thought doing the update on my Nook to 2.0.6 would be a good thing

Now I am unsure that if I side-load files, will they show up? I mean if the folders are gone now how can I know to add files to their respective folders

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

You have to use something like Open Explorer. It's free and it's good.

Just move files to any folder on your Nook and then use Open Explorer to move them around.