New User
Gloriamart
0 Kudos

nook hd +

i hate this nook. i have to keep it plugged in forever. today for instants. i had it plugged in all night, i checked the battery was fully charged. i unplugged it and when on facebook. i was copying a few recipes (about 20 minutes). it shut off battery was low. don"t even think of playing a game if it isn"t plugged inand  to read a book, no more than an hour. oh, and I have to use my old nook outside because you can"t take it in the sun either. what a waste of money.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Re: nook hd +

Warranty?
Freedom is not free.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Gloriamart wrote:

i hate this nook. i have to keep it plugged in forever. today for instants. i had it plugged in all night, i checked the battery was fully charged. i unplugged it and when on facebook. i was copying a few recipes (about 20 minutes). it shut off battery was low. don"t even think of playing a game if it isn"t plugged inand  to read a book, no more than an hour. oh, and I have to use my old nook outside because you can"t take it in the sun either. what a waste of money.

For the battery, call CS or take it to a BN.  Is it still under warranty?  

As far as outside, you pretty much can't read on any LCD device outside, that shouldn't  be a surprise to most people and its certainly isn't something unique to the Nook HD. 

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
CrownedInStarlight
0 Kudos

You should take it back if it is under warranty and ask them to fix it, because what you're going through is not the way it's supposed to be. The Nook comes with a 1 year warranty and a defective battery would certainly be covered.

I rarely have to recharge, although all I do is read books. My GF plays Wordshaker (for your safety, no link -- it's very addicting) and she has to recharge a few times a week. That's what normal looks like, certainly not what you're experiencing.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Gloriamart wrote:

Unless you bought the HD/+ immediately after it came out last November, it should be under warranty and eligible for replacement - battery life that short is not normal, I routinely read/surf internet/email for 8-9 hours between charges.

As noted above, no LCD device is good for reading in direct sunlight, but I have had reasonable success reading outside in open shade using a reader that provides a true black background and an option for alternate text colors (I like blue or green) with the brightness fairly high. Unfortunately the stock reader doesn't provide this option, but there are free options (FBreader and Alkido are two) in pthe GoPS that do. You probably won't be able to read sittinng in the sun at the beach, but I have been able to sitting under an umbrella.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I read all the time outside (in the shade) with the stock reader on the nook HD & HD+. You just have to turn the brightness up to almost the 100% level. Note: you have to turn it up before you go outside, or you will not be able to find the brightness setting!

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

I read all the time outside (in the shade) with the stock reader on the nook HD & HD+. You just have to turn the brightness up to almost the 100% level. Note: you have to turn it up before you go outside, or you will not be able to find the brightness setting!

Interesting to know that the stock reader works for you - I never use it because of the poor night mode for reading in the dark.  A nice feature of FBreader and Alkido is that they offer control of brightness by sliding your finger up/down the left side of the screen

New User
FireFly908
0 Kudos

My Nook HD+ had the same problem! I've had it drain to 0% overnight right after charging. I looked at the battery usage and a couple of hours after I shut it down, battery usage increased tremendously. The WiFi was also back on.
So I removed apps one by one that couldn't be killed and found that a Weather App I had, totally solved the problem when I uninstalled it.
The battery stayed at 96% all night without moving at all with the Nook HD+ shut off.