Contributor
mrivera27
0 Kudos

note taking app?

I have the Nook HD tablet and I was wondering if there is a notetaking app that I could download that would enable me to handwrite notes to myself during meetings and such.  I have my work documents uploaded to the tablet and it would be really nice to just have to carry the tablet to meetings and not the tablet, pen, paper, etc.  

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Re: note taking app?

I use SpringPad or EverNote, but not for handwritten notes, I type out my notes.
mrskooshie
Contributor
Ruffles5
0 Kudos

There are no such beasts I am afraid. Back in 2006-8 I had a tablet pc with an active digitizer and that worked "fairly" well. Not even an iPad would give you the desired effect of hand-writing notes. That is why I chose a Nook HD+. As a grad student it would be nice to have something to write on PDFs and PowerPoints but that won't happen without paying over $1200. You COULD get the Boogie Board Rip for jotting down notes but it only saves files one PDF at a time per screen (think of it as a blackboard, everytime you save it saves a file and wipes the screen).

ePDF Reader has a marker feature that is thin enough to write on but any stylus lacks the coordination to make any progress.

So to answer your question: no, there will never be any app for touch-screen tablets that will serve our purpose in taking notes without our palms interfering and to have legible hand-writing.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Actually if you have the N2A card ere a lot of apps that you can use with a stylus (or not) to take handwritten notes on the Nook HD+ or the Nook Tablet or the NookColor.
mrskooshie
Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

5ivedom has one for the Nook HD/HD+ for $1.

Notepad - Write Notes, Sticky Notes, Handwritten Notes  "Notepad - Write Notes, Sticky Notes, Handwritten Notes"

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/notepad-write-notes-sticky-notes-handwritten-notes-5ivedom/111243866...

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Or, consider investing in a blue tooth keyboard for taking notes. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

DonMn, thanks for mentioning our app.

A Warning: It's a rudimentary handwritten notes app. It does not have things like palm detection and handwriting recognition.

Also we are limited in how responsive it can be by the touch screen technology. These are Tablets and not digitizers so it's not going to be 'just scribble quickly and it works'. You have to be a bit precise and slow to get the notes written.

I think iPad does have apps like Notability that offer Palm Detection. The Notability app is somethine else.

http://www.gingerlabs.com/cont/notability.php

They were working on this technology specifically and then made an app for iPad and have been improving the app for 2 years.

So that should work for you (if you have an iPad).

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

I have the NOOK Note-also, I really like it, it does just what I want it to do, can write a note, earase it when I don't need it anymore.

Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD

[ Edited ]

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet does hand-writing natively and it comes with digitizer stylus-pen plus great note-taking software pre-installed. Also, if you root your Nook Color/tablet/HD/HD+ to get access to the Google Play store you can download an app called Genial Writing. It is great at hand-writing notes. You will need to purchase one of those rubber-tipped stylii or other compatible stylus but it should work quite well. Also, the Asus Eee EA-800 Note is an 8inch tablet-like device that does hand-writing natively as well. It also comes with a stylus. It is a non-backlit LCD screen in grey-scale; similar in look to E ink so, no color; but it has great hand-written note-taking software as well. You have to order it off of e-Bay to have it shipped in from Taiwan as it was never sold in the US. I have one and love it. It is a pretty handy little device. It also doubles as an e-reader and has a fairly decent rear facing camera. I have used all of the above methods so I can honestly recommend them. All of these methods/devices address the palm-rejection issue effectively. I do a lot of journal-writing and nothing beats the visceral sensation of a pen in my hand as I write down my thoughts.  Typing just doesn't do it for me. I hope this helps.