Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

please reinstall ability to shelved searched ebooks!!!

I've had ereaders for a few years now and am a prolific reader. I collect lots of freebies plus purchase books to read. I have a variety of interests so they cover a wide range of subjects. My free books library has gotten huge!!! I may never get to read them all, but I'd like to be able to find them when I get to them. Between my BN library and my sideloaded ebooks, there are almost 6000 ebooks to shelve. Admittedly, many are books that I owned as DTBs and I've replaced them with ebooks to free up some of the clutter around the house.

It took me about an hour just to go through the entire library for the very first shelf (for my arts and crafts pdfs and epubs) and I only have about 25-30 of them. Another hour to do the same to find my 10 cookbooks. At least the kids books were already shelved by BN, Another hour for my comic books (30 of them). Another hour for my biographies (only 10). And then I lost them all. All those hours to shelve less than 100 ebooks and then it was all gone.

I did go through the whole process again for my craft books, but not really willing to do it again for the rest of them until TWO things are fixed. One, that the shelves don't disappear on me. TWO, that I can do a search to find all the books I'm wanting to shelve in one much shorter list and be able to shelve them from the list. It doesn't matter if I know the name of a book and do a search for it, I can't then shelve it unless I go back and go through the entire list of books till I get to it again. Even if it takes me an hour to get to it. That is just ridiculous!!

The only bright spot was that after the first time, I could only search either the BN library OR my sideloaded ebooks at one time. I knew all my craft books were in the sideloaded area and that cut down on a couple 1000 books I had to wade thru to find them.

Can we at least be able to shelve searched books from the search list? Please?????? And then keep them shelved? Please? My HD+ has started gathering dust because it's just easier to pick up the NC or NST to read with.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Re: please reinstall ability to shelved searched ebooks!!!

I have to agree about re-adding the abilty to shelve from a seach. Not only does it speed up the original shelving, but it also speeds up adding stray books later. Also, it used to be when adding books by author sort, you could scroll to that shelf, then add multiple books with just a tap. Now if you have more than 10 shelves,you have to scroll past the first10 shelves every time you add a book to any shelf past the first 10.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

time to temporarily rename the shelf to show up in the first 10 then. I read in the User Guide that you can do that, but I've only redone the one shelf so far. In the past, on other nooks, I've added the letters a, b, c and so on to the beginning of shelf names to put frequently accessed shelves first so I can get to them faster. works well.

Inspired Contributor
alliewinter
0 Kudos

I name my frequently used shelves ("samples to read", "wishlists", etc.) with an asterisk first so they appear on top.

As a side note, I lost my 34 shelves for my 650 books. Aggravated to say the least, but I can't imagine the stress of losing all the work on 6,000 books! I agree that an easier way to "batch" file books into shelves or import them from my NC would be nice. :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

Add me to the list of those who would like to shelve from a search. It would also be nice to stop the shelves from disappearing! I'd also like to be able to archive books from my Nook HD like we can from the previous Nooks.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Contributor
twintiger
0 Kudos

I'm confused. Are you saying that on the HD, you can't search for a book then press the title until the menu with "add to shelf" appears? That there's no way to add a searched for title at all? I was thinking about upgrading to the HD, but if this is the case I will pass. Please let me know. Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

twintiger wrote:

I'm confused. Are you saying that on the HD, you can't search for a book then press the title until the menu with "add to shelf" appears? That there's no way to add a searched for title at all? I was thinking about upgrading to the HD, but if this is the case I will pass. Please let me know. Thanks!

I just bought my mom a HD for Christmas and I've been learning how to use it, so I can show her how.  I can go to my list of books, press on the book, and an option, "Add to Shelf" appears.  I tap that it lets me select a shelf or create a new shelf.  Is that what you are talking about?

Contributor
twintiger
0 Kudos

Thanks for responding! No, that's not what I was asking though. The original poster was talking specifically about adding books from a search results list (I think) and that's what I was asking. If you search for a book in the HD by title or author or whatever, can you then press on a book in the list of search results and get "add to shelf"? It sounds like they're saying the answer is no, and I would like to know for sure.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@booklover,

No that ability functions still on the HD. However, on the Tablet, and if I recall correctly, on the NC, you could do a search, say for "classics", and all of the B&N classics would come up in your search; you could then tap on each cover in the search and add it directly to your classics shelf (or do one by author). That ability is no longer present on the HD family, and it lengthens shelving time considerably.

Contributor
twintiger
0 Kudos

Ah, okay. Thank you laurieb52.  I never knew that about the NC!  I have about 6k books and was worried I wouldn't be able to narrow them down for shelving.  Still worried about the disappearing shelves though.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just don't delete anything while connected to the computer, avaoid deleting any sideloaded items anywhay for awhile and avoid adding child profiles until an update addresses those items, and you should be ok...

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I thought about doing the search on my NC, then using the search results to shelve books on my HD+ but you still have to go through the entire list to find each book. Still, for some that have a NC or NT, that might be helpful. Still a lot of hoops to go through. Still time consuming, but it might catch some titles you might not realize would suit the shelf.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

That's the process I use as every time I upgrade, I gift my older version to a family member. I use the shelves on one as a reference when shelving the new model. Cuts down a lot of hit and miss and reduces shelving time.

Contributor
twintiger
0 Kudos

@compulsivereader  This is what I don't understand, the part about having to scroll through the entire list. If you know what book you're looking for why can't you just type in the title and then add it to your shelf from the search result page? If you can see what's on your shelf on your old NC, can't you just add each one by name? I have never tried searching by type on my NC, but I do plan to use the shelves there as a reference. I also just add each book to a shelf as I come to it. It's faster than trying to do one shelf at a time.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Because you can't shelve books on the HD when they come up on a search. That function is gone on the Hd. You can only shelve from the main book section by tapping on individual books, or you can edit an individual shelf by scrolling through a list like you do on the NT, NSt and NC. It is a little easier to scroll through the list on the HD because you see a mini cover, for each title.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

twintiger wrote:

@compulsivereader  This is what I don't understand, the part about having to scroll through the entire list. If you know what book you're looking for why can't you just type in the title and then add it to your shelf from the search result page? If you can see what's on your shelf on your old NC, can't you just add each one by name? I have never tried searching by type on my NC, but I do plan to use the shelves there as a reference. I also just add each book to a shelf as I come to it. It's faster than trying to do one shelf at a time.

That is why we are asking for the ability to search for a book and shelve it from the search list. You can not do that at this time. If you type in the name and do a search for the book, tap on it to shelve it, the little pop up does not give you the option to add it to a shelf.

So how do you then add a book to a shelf?

You can only scroll through your library until you get to the book, THEN you can tap it and shelve it. Or you can go to the shelf and tap "manage content for "shelf name", and, again, scroll through your entire library there until you get through the entire list of books. And repeat that process for every shelf.

I have 2400 BN books. I can sort by author or title in the library but it hasn't given me that option when doing the "manage content" option,  Imagine wanting to shelve a book when both the author and title start with z. Also with that many books, I become brain dead very quickly and start forgetting what the books are about to know what shelf(s) to add them to.

So I have 2400 books. I'm not going to get them all shelved in one sitting. Some go on more than one shelf and you have to repeat the process for each shelf. Even if I do not stop to shelve a single book, it still takes about 20 min to an hour to scroll to the end, depending on whether the device is fast or sluggish at the moment. And each time I stop and come back later, I have to start scrollng from the beginning all over again until I get to where I left off at.

It's not an issue when you are new to ebooks/ereaders, your library is small enough to handle easily. But the devices have been around several years now and digital books, etc is growing leaps and bounds. Some of us have collected very good size libraries over the years but our devices grow old, break down, etc and sometimes need to be replaced. Imagine every time that happens you have to again shelve all those books in the new device plus the new ones you've accumulated. The makers of the devices need to recognize this issue.

As long as it is this difficult, it's enough to make one NOT upgrade to the newest model if there's a chance you can squeeze a couple more months out of the old one.

With that many books, I NEED to be able to shelve them. But there needs to be an easier way.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I forgot to add that each if I stop to shelve every single boook once or twice, remember, I have to do that 2400 times. Some of those books, I'm going to have to stop and read the details again becuase it's been a while and I don't remember where it goes anymore. I also might have to wait for the device since my library lags all the time and the little box pops up asking me if I want to wait or close the library. If it takes 20 min to an hour to just sit here swiping and swiping and swiping through 2400 books...imagine how long it takes to stop and shelve each one.

If I were in my shelf for say "vampire books", being able to do a search that pulled up all those books, then the option to select them all to place in that library would be a dream come true. It really wouldn't help a lot to be able to shelve books from a searchlist if we still can only add one at a time. We'd have to repeat the search for every book on the list.

Better yet would be if the HD+ could just sort by tags. Then there would be no need to shelve any books. I LOVE that ability in many of the free android reader apps like aldiko and moon reader. They aren't as lovely to read on, but there are enough positive features that I'm really missing them. Those ebook reading apps are VERY small compared to the operating system of the Nook Devices so there is really no reason why THEY can do it and Nooks can not.

Contributor
twintiger
0 Kudos

Laurieb52 - That was my original question, about whether or not you could add books to shelves from search results. I mistakenly thought your response to booklover where you said "No that ability still functions on the HD" was a response to my question.

This is disappointing, but im glad its been cleared up. I think I'll hold off for now.

@compulsivereader I guess I'm just lucky, I have 6000+ books, but for the most part, if I've ever shelved it, I remember what it's about and where it goes and I've done most of them twice now on the NC, so shelving as I go is faster for me. But doing it with search would be best.