Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

update did not fix disappearing shelves.

I was so happy that my shelves had stayed put for several days. And then just now. I deleted a sideloaded book from one of my shelves and now all my shelves are gone once again

once again...hours spent on this and I still haven't gotten to read, play games, watch a movie because my device keeps losing things....

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

Re: update did not fix disappearing shelves.

Did you delete the sideloaded book while it was hooked up to the computer or did you just delete it using just the nook? I ask this because I was monkeying around with it all day yesterday. I recreated the problem 3 times yesterday and each time my shelves disappeared when I had the HD+ hooked up to the computer and deleted the book that way. I can add books, no problem. But if I delete a book , then they disappear. I have 72 shelves made up now since last night and all is good. I just deleted a pdf file from my nook just to make sure, and everything is still there. If something changes, there will be blood!!! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

junonia-shell wrote:
Did you delete the sideloaded book while it was hooked up to the computer or did you just delete it using just the nook? I ask this because I was monkeying around with it all day yesterday. I recreated the problem 3 times yesterday and each time my shelves disappeared when I had the HD+ hooked up to the computer and deleted the book that way. I can add books, no problem. But if I delete a book , then they disappear. I have 72 shelves made up now since last night and all is good. I just deleted a pdf file from my nook just to make sure, and everything is still there. If something changes, there will be blood!!! :smileyhappy:

Thank you, very good to know. If they dissappear again, please let us know. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

junonia-shell wrote:

Yes I did have it hooked up to the computer. That is still a bug that needs to be fixed since not all HD/HD+ owners will read that here. But I'll check this out and give it another go. Thank you.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Calibre or PC software may be the culprit.

I did several tests with this, to find out what exactly I'm doing that causes this. It seemed to come down to Calibre. At least for me. Calibre said there was an update so I went to check it out. Apparantly it had been having or causing problems when disconnecting Kobo devices. Well, HD/HD+ or newer than that but I decided to the fix might work. The update appears to have fixed the problem for me, at least so far. Calibre was able to delete the book from my device for me without trouble and I was able to unplug my device without any troubles...so far...

So this may have been a bug with Calibre rather than the HD. I'm withholding judgement though for a few days to see if it happens again. If you use other software to sideload books, that might also cause problems. If you are ising Calibre,  you can try updating it to see if it helps.

I'm running win7.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Re: Calibre or PC software may be the culprit.

I didn't use calibre to sideload my books to sd card.

I did lose all my shelves again!!!

This is what happened. I went to add the books that I had previously removed from my nook. When I did so, it asked if I wanted to replace the folder. I said yes, and that's when I ran into problems. It hung up and I guess got confused, and bam, quit working. I disconnected from my computer and the shelves disappeared. From the nook, I went to my library, my files, sd card, my files, books. There I saw that I still had an empty folder with no book. So I deleted that. I then did a total shutdown of my nook and restarted it.

This method is what I have found to be working for me after numerous times of experimenting...

1. If book is shelved, remove from there first.

2. Delete book from the library.

3. From the library, navigate to my files, either internal or sd card where book was originally stored, my files, books, and delete the folder.

4. Total shutdown of the tablet.

5. Restart.

6. Refresh library.

Now you can connect nook to computer and start adding books again.

So far my shelves are all holding .....again.

I think if you do delete from the nook, make sure you get all traces of what you're deleting and do a shutdown.and then refresh.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

that's a lot of hoops to jump through. I have to admit that I had 20 shelves with books on them, some sideloaded, some BN when I lost them before the update. after the update, I had several shelves made but had shelved a few books. For my test, I only made 2 shelves and one book in each shelf.

Then I updated my Calibre, made another shelf with two books in it and used calibre to delete on and the shelf is still there and the other book is as well. IT may be holding stead at the moment simply because I have one shelf and one shelved book at the moment. I just rebooted and the shelf and book are still in place. Dare I add more? sigh....

Calibre might have been partly to blame but if you did not use Calibre then there's still something in the OS that is causing problems. My last shelves did last a couple of days before disappearing last time. Calibre could have just been the catalyst to an existing problem.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

One one of the two occasions I lost my shelves, it occurred when I used Open Explorer to delect a.doc file I had converted (on the HD) from a .pdf file (using the Office app). I was not hooked up to the computer at the time.  Simultaneously, the HD accessed my SD card, even though the file was stored on internal memory.At the time, I thought there might be an issue with either Open Explorer or the Office app, as I was able to recreate it 3 times.

On the other occasion, I was hooked up to the computer like both Compulsive and Juniona,  and deleted a corrupted book I had just sideloaded through Calibre; on that occasion, I thought the issue might have been my fault because I may have deleted before I actually closed out the ebook.  Again, although all my sideloaded books were on internal memory, the HD tried to access the SD card right before the shelves disappeared.

5ivedom also lost shelves when deleting a scrapbook while connected from the computer. I know  Juniona's books were on her SD card; were yours Compulsive?

Others have reported losing shelves when adding a child profile.

It almost seems as if the HD gets mixed up regarding which drive to access in these situations.

Some have also reported losing shelves when turning the HD off and restarting; I'd be curious to know what occurred right before the shutdown and restart. For those reporters, at least one did not have an SD card installed.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Until yesterday, I did not have an sd card installed but I do not have anything on it yet other than a couple of folders that the HD+ placed there. With the sd card in place, I do notice that every time I try to access MyFiles, it shows the sd card rather than the main memory and I have to choose the main memory. On my other nooks, it displayed my main memory by default.

I just now shut down for a few minutes and booted up again. Shelf and book is still there. phew...:smileyhappy:

I can't help wondering if this has anything to do with the HDs presenting themselves as media devices rather than storage device.  Are files and storage handled that differently? And why won't they tell us how to do this stuff if there is a correct and incorrect way to do it. Trial and error is fine to a point...but it's been over a week now and my device is just now becoming usable, I hope I AM tired of having my hopes dashed. :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
Alan_Blackmoore
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just got the OTA update this past week and after the update, all my shelves were gone. I had some books on the card and some on my Nook HD's internal memory. Also some were purchased and others were sideloaded, but ALL my shelves disappeared. This is now the 3rd time a software update has caused this problem for me. I have used Calibre to load books on my device, for whatever that's worth, but each time my shelves disappeared, it was after a software update... I have personally seen no issues with Calibre at all. I'm convinced it's an issue with B&N's software more than anything else

TBH I'm afraid to go in and redo everything for the 4th time just to have it wiped out on the next update... I have several audio books on my Nook also and my playlists for those are fine even after 2 updates, so why can't they get the Shelves right?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." -- Oscar Wilde
Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

Alan,

There was a post here on the board in the last few days by Alex w/BN. He indicated that they need additional info from those having the problem (he had a list of w/questions) so they can isolate the problem. I know that doesn't give you back your book shelves but they appear to be aware of the problem and are making an effort. It may be like your car making a noise until you get it to the mechanic and then no noise so he can't fix it. My two cents and no offense intend.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Alan, my advice would be to not redo your shelves.

B&N are working on it, and as pointed out, Alex is collecting information. Just send him a direct message or leave a reply on the thread with details.

Once the issue is fixed for everyone (it's already fixed for some people, and some people didn't have it) then you'll find out from this forum. People post when a new update comes out.

And then you can redo your shelves then.

Also, pretty sure it has nothing to do with Calibre. Lots of people who don't have Calibre got it (at least that's my understanding).

Reader 2
Alan_Blackmoore
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There was a post here on the board in the last few days by Alex w/BN. He indicated that they need additional info from those having the problem"

Please provide a link if at all possible... I was not able to find this when looking for topics on this subject. (maybe my search-fu is just inadequate or something)

Also, while I initially thought my playlists were OK, it turns out on closer inspection that while the playlists themselves still exist, that last update deleted all the songs from them. :smileysad:

TIA

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." -- Oscar Wilde
Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Contributor
Katy_Beth
0 Kudos

I didn't loose my shelves but I lost every side loaded thing I had on them.  All my side loaded is on the SD card because I have to many to put on the HD itself.  So is this a different issue?

Bibliophile
laurieb52

For those of you who have lost shelves, one of the B&N tech persons, Nookception1, is trying to recreate the loss to determine a fix. Please go to the Nook Issue Reporting site, under the "Disappearing Shelves" item, and add a comment describing the sequence of events that resulted in your loss of shelves.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!