Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

well, I'm a happy camper regardless.

compared to all the previous HD updates some of us have gone through, this one has been relatively painless. Didn't lose my library, my shelves, my profiles or my sideloaded content and have to start from scratch. I was starting to fear updates there for awhile. It got tiresome starting completely over from scratch every update. Glad BN got that fixed!

I understand chrome is giving some people fits and I can understand that. We get used to something we like and we're going to be upset when it's taken away. Personally, I think we should have been given the option on that but if wishes were nickels and all.

Overall, I'm still a happy camper. All the apps I wanted to make my ereader managable as a library are now available to me and that makes me very happy. My sideloaded library through Calibre is now more easily accessible and I don't have to bother with shelving those books anymore with Calibre Companion App. Nice covers, metadata and sort features. Yeah!!!

Kindle app for my kindle books, was able to import my bookmarks into chrome, add my non BN apps to the home page so I could now do away with zeam launcher.

A few kinks, but doable and overall, yes, I'm happy.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Re: well, I'm a happy camper regardless.

Ditto! I thought of you, and the first thing I did was purchase the calibre companion app. :smileywink:

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

Yeah I love this update. I had used XDA's method to get Google apps on my HD+ so when I heard about this update, I went ahead and just did a factory reset of my device. I'm happy to see my device is running more smoothly after the update-- not sure if that is due to the factory reset or to the update. Either way I'm happy. I find that all the Google apps work better now that they're official, especially Chrome, which is much faster. I personally don't miss the old browser at all. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

junonia-shell wrote:

Ditto! I thought of you, and the first thing I did was purchase the calibre companion app. :smileywink:

IT's awesome! If you need any help, let me know, though I'm off to a bday party for two of my grandchildren so I may not be able to answer anytime soon!

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

I love the potential of the new update.  Not having access to the GP store almost had me getting a different tablet at Christmas.  But I decided I preferred the Ereader experience with the Nook over the open android market and got the Nook HD+.  Now I am so glad I did.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

Was running Leapinlar's root from the SD card and left the card in while the update went through. Everything is running perfectly, no glitches, no goofs, all of my apps are running fine and it doesn't matter if the card is in or not. And I also didn't do a factory reset first.

I have since taken the card out since it's no longer needed and I'll reformat it for storage, but I too am a very, very happy camper! The HD+ is finally the full tablet it was designed to be.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Compulsive Reader, I too thought of you and the Calibre Companion App being available.

I think Chrome was part of the 'Google Agreement' to get Google Play. B&N didn't have an option.

However, I don't like the change. I don't use Chrome on my PCs because I don't want some company spying on me non-stop and trying to target and change my behavior.

It seems people are finding options like Firefox that work better than Chrome. Has anyone figured out how to get the Stock Browser back?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

5ivedom wrote:

Compulsive Reader, I too thought of you and the Calibre Companion App being available.

I think Chrome was part of the 'Google Agreement' to get Google Play. B&N didn't have an option.

However, I don't like the change. I don't use Chrome on my PCs because I don't want some company spying on me non-stop and trying to target and change my behavior.

It seems people are finding options like Firefox that work better than Chrome. Has anyone figured out how to get the Stock Browser back?

I don't care for chrome either now that I've had a chance to play with it. It seems very non-intuitive to me and hard to get around in. I've gone back to Dolphin, especially now that we have acess to the add ons in Google Play Store. Easily able to import bookmarks, can set it as the default browser, has a save web to pdf add on, flash support and lots of other goodies. I might find myself actually using the browser on my device now instead of turning to the PC for browsing as I've done in the past. It's just easier to type with for me.

And I"M LOVING my Calibre Companion App!!! yeah! I love having it on my home screen so all my side loaded books are that much easier to get to now!  I also put my zinio app and my audible app on the home page. All my most important stuff!! I'm so darn happy with BN right now!!

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady

Now I have the Tablet I thought I bought last November! Everything seems to be working great. I don't like Chrome either but I am using Dolphin anyway so it's all good. Also got Calibre Companion & the Zinio reader app set up. I use the free Zinio service through my library & have been able to get rid of nearly all my subscriptions. I can see where someone would not be happy with the Z app on a 7" device due to the font size & awkward zoom feature but on the HD+ it's fine.

Have not checked out Google books but prices seem similar to BN.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Other than Chrome browser, count me in as another happy camper too!  I'll just switch back to Dolphin or find another browser. Have been playing with HD pretty much non-stop for past 24hours, and am really really happy.:smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

OK, you all have convinced me to try out Dolphin.

It's interesting to me to see Chrome and not liking it. There's so much discussion on the Internet of how it's the fastest browser and such. Was a total disappointment to me. Not intutive at all.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

That's how I felt 5ivedome. I felt like there were secrets to using it that no one was sharing with me. I especially did not like that it would not save images for me. I belong to a craft room that offers free cutting files to it's members and it downloaded the cutting files fine for me, but I usually download the image files as well so I know what the file is supposed to be. I need the image to it so I know which file I'm looking when I'm ready to use it. I had to go to my pc and get them. That was a deal breaker for me. Dolphin saves them for me so it's a better fit.

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

That's how I felt 5ivedome. I felt like there were secrets to using it that no one was sharing with me. I especially did not like that it would not save images for me. I belong to a craft room that offers free cutting files to it's members and it downloaded the cutting files fine for me, but I usually download the image files as well so I know what the file is supposed to be. I need the image to it so I know which file I'm looking when I'm ready to use it. I had to go to my pc and get them. That was a deal breaker for me. Dolphin saves them for me so it's a better fit.

By save the image for you do you mean that it doesn't save automatically? 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

In chrome, it wouldn't save it for me at all. It would save the cutting file, but not the image.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

I'm so happy to see a thread happy with the update!  I am thrilled with what I have right now.  Of course I haven't really visited any sites that need flash yet :smileyhappy: but I have downloaded firefox in preparation for that.

mrskooshie
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's interesting compulsive reader. I can't think of a reason it would save the cutting file but not the image.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

I love the new update too :smileyhappy:

Being a Nook owner in the UK wasn't much fun - no stores with nice friendly people to help me, no free Friday book, no Free Friday App, no Flash or browser in UK shop that had flash and fewer Nook Apps than even the USA Nook store. And no UK TV catchup apps.

I had resorted to the N2A boot to overcome my issues, but for me it was pretty unstable.

This update didn't need me to do a deregister/reregister, nor did I loose access to my apps - Yay!!

And I now have Dolphin browser from googleplay with Flash and the BBC iplayer App, and the apps I had bought for my android phone.

I didn't like all the Google apps, so followed Laurieb52's suggestion and disconnected them from my profile along with Twitter, and turned off my location finder, and my battery life is just as it was before.

And on top of that, the UK store suddenly featured about 50 free classic books, all properly formatted and with decent covers!

So I'm a very happy bunny :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

AlbionRose wrote:

I love the new update too :smileyhappy:

Being a Nook owner in the UK wasn't much fun - no stores with nice friendly people to help me, no free Friday book, no Free Friday App, no Flash or browser in UK shop that had flash and fewer Nook Apps than even the USA Nook store. And no UK TV catchup apps.

I had resorted to the N2A boot to overcome my issues, but for me it was pretty unstable.

This update didn't need me to do a deregister/reregister, nor did I loose access to my apps - Yay!!

And I now have Dolphin browser from googleplay with Flash and the BBC iplayer App, and the apps I had bought for my android phone.

I didn't like all the Google apps, so followed Laurieb52's suggestion and disconnected them from my profile along with Twitter, and turned off my location finder, and my battery life is just as it was before.

And on top of that, the UK store suddenly featured about 50 free classic books, all properly formatted and with decent covers!

So I'm a very happy bunny :smileyvery-happy:

That's wonderful! Then it really helps out non-US owners even more than it helps out. Well worth losing a few browser bookmarks, eh?

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

Count me in as another happy camper!  After reading all the negative comments, etc.  I haven't found that much to complain about.  I did have a couple of Nook apps that didn't work at first.  But after archiving them, then reinstalling they worked fine.  I have been using Chrome on my pc, so it isn't a game changer for me.  And I was able to import all my bookmarks into Chrome.  I also use Dolphin for flash content.  Have loaded the Kindle app, the Audible app, and will be looking into the Calibre Companion.

The only issue I am having is that my Twitter app keeps disappearing.  Not much of a problem since I mostly use Tweetcaster.  And I had some issues with videos freezing while running off the SD card.  But that could be the way I ripped them as I am experimenting with gettting the right settings for the HD+. I am going to try running them from internal memory later.

All in all I'm very happy with the update.

Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

I guess I'm also a happy camper because I can still read my books and mags.  I depend on these forums for advice, and have since 2010.  Having survived all the updates with NC, I guess I could survive anything.  And I love my HD+.  But this update, I must admit, has me pretty nervous since all these threads seem to indicate ANY of the new stuff will cause trouble.  I think the lesson here is, to remain a happy camper I'd better just read my books.

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)