1) When I open a book on my computer, its page size is different than when I read a book on the nook, an iPad, or my phone. Each device though only checks the page number from the previous device, and jmping to most recent page on the next device goes to a significantly different area. It would be good to correctly offset pages
2) As I purchase more and more books they tend to run over each other and it becomes hard to sort them all (unless I remember the specific title I am searching for). A user-driven category system (that correctly maps to different devices) would make it much easier to sort my books (technology, fantasy, humor, etc)
3) It took a very long time and google searches to find a place where I could leave feedback - not the case for apple, amazon, etc. I want to support this product and, even if you don't have time to read all the feedback, it would make users feel more involved if they even think someone is reading their comments. Please add a clear and visible 'Provide Feedback' and 'Report Problem' button in each device
4) Naturally B&N carries some publishers, Amazon others, and so on. Instead of having to guess what we will purchase, you could create an (easily accessible) area fo us to leave requests for which books we wish we could read on the Nook. Have us put in the ISBN of the specific books so you don't have to guess at what title we are talking about. Then you could just set an automated system continually monitor that and your business team will get clear feedback and cost-benefit analysis
5) I love Amazon for a lot of things, but I love B&N for books over Amazon. First because you do not censor books as Amazon has done twice in the past, but more importantly because you have physical book stores. I like going into a store, browsing through books, drining a coffee, and if I like the book then purchasing it - for my nook. My bookshelves are simply too full for more physical books. Why not take advantage of that to let the nook (or my phone, iPad, Android tablet) scan the bar code on the back of the book to quickly see if an ebook is available? The technology is out there and available from a number of free aps, impulse purchases would be more common, and you would gain suggestive feedback (if GPS or local network is enabled) which purchases are made as a result of seeing something in a B&N bookstore vs. other means. I'm sure marketing could come up with a ton of info they would love as a result
6) Since the main call to fame for the Nook is the presence of physical stores, you may consider closer tie-ins between the Nook and the physical stores. Eg. checking store's inventory for physcal copies of a book a user may want to browse, scaning a book in a store for suggestions of other books in the store to look at / find out which the 1st book in a series is, scan in purchased physical book barcodes to get reminders of what you already have / when a new book in a watched series is released, maybe on the splash screen showing when something interesting is happening at the nearby physical stores (author visits, group meetings) etc. Stuff to bring the two experiences together and promote both as a result. The Nook won't compete with the iPad and Android tablets, don't try that as the primary concern, focus on what the Nook already is best at and don't forget most of the time we will use non-nook devices (because my phone is always in my pocket, my computer has a giant screen, and so on)
Things id like to see in the Nook HD+
Fixes for the native browser and email crashing, er "stopping"
Fix for scroll issue where browser gets stuck scrolling which resolves with a sleep and
refresh webpage.. (happens in native browser and Dolphin)
Better support for podcasting and music.. (pause in native player, offer Podcatcher or
such for sale in addition to the awful podcast player in the store)
Offer Tapatalk for sale so more forum sites can be navigated easier than with a browser.. (
Actually should add the plugin to your own site.. its not very tablet friendly..(or at least improve the formatting)
Allow users to add their own fonts..
Make a deal and somehow get Quickoffice updated and fully available for the HD+
Love to see the "dark/night mode" from Overdrive emulated in the native nook reader app..
Allow for some options for the taskbar, perhaps offer a slightly larger version as a choice,
enable the AM/PM indicator as an option,
Bring back the option for keyboard feedback/click emulation/feedback... Allow
users to choose if they want to hear a sound when they tap to acknowledge it.. makes it
easier to type on virtual keyboards. As an aside, offer support for Swiftkey and other
virtual keyboards and make them available for sale in the store
I really like that BN has made a strong stand against in app purchases, it seems to keep out
the junk/freemium apps.. And help prevent inadvertent purchases.. In android and IOS its
too damn easy to buy garbage, locks don't always stop it.. But perhaps make some deals with more
vendors, for possibly allowing "feature packs" but NOT IN APP.. You can get an entirely free
but upgrade keys in store are allowed.. Don't mind that apps are a little bit more if stuff
is included and its not gunked up with To get this you need to buy this in app.. BULL
Really think it might help if Nook updated the base Android OS on HD and HD+ devices, esp with
This may help with some of the multi-account issues and parental controls as an aside, as
well as updating some of the built in device drivers for touch/video/audio/etc
Improved PDF handling.. Allow to download the native Adobe Reader...EzPdf isn't bad but its
still not quite there..
Bring back the open source chess and crosswords from the tablet and color.. In addition to the
buggy Astraware version.. They are simple and elegant apps..
Id really like to see the email and web browser workedon..(andofcoursethereaderapp
itself, improvements to formatting and such) since other than books they are the main apps
on the nook, perhaps update the gallery app with some of the suggestions people have
mentioned.. its got to do the basics well..
Add the nook book clubs as a default bookmark when you update the OS so people know of their
existence.. Have no idea why this was overlooked
I will mention facebook integration, though im not a big fan of the app.. its mostly a
glorified webpage but would like to be able to use at least the messaging app (facebook has 3!
of their own apps, one just for messaging users).. and that alone with pop ups is most of
what I think people are looking for..For stuff such as this, you have to be the one opening dialog,
Have to insist you want these things, but without the garbage.. And stand your ground and not allow in app garbage..