Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Age Range?

Is there a set or average age range of the Nook Kids books using the "AliveTouch" and "Read to me" features?  The two examples given are for books for very small children (which is fine since I have a 5 year old), but I'm hoping there will be a fair share of books taking advantage of these for slightly older kids as well (I also have an 8 year old that loves to read, but would probably love to use these as well sometimes).  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Age Range?

I'd guess that there will be significant books for the 8 year old.  One of the books featured was Beverly Cleary, and I'm pretty sure I was reading her at 8 and 9.  

I imagine as it catches on, they'll keep adding kids books as well.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Ozman69,

The NOOK kids digital book collection spans all ages featuring the latest technology for our newest book lovers.

Also, we have the largest collection of popular children’s picture books and nearly 12,00 digital chapter books for kids.

Contributor
Aknaack5
0 Kudos

Nook Kids is the reason I bought a 4th Nook this week (all 4 are Christmas gifts). My 7 year old wants a reader for Christmas and was trying to decide between the Nook or the Vtech reader which is geared for small kids. I was torn thinking that he would out grow the Vtech, but at the time there were not that many options for books for kids on the Nook. As soon as I heard that the kids selection was going to be so large, I ran out and bought him a Nook.

Another 'selling' point for me was that these books will work on the Nook Classic but not have the color or animations or the read to me feature. Which is great as that was another thing I did not like about the Vtech reader. However I was told at the store that color and animations will work on the Nook iPad app. My husband just bought me an iPad 5 days ago, so if my youngest son wants to see the animations at time he can see it on the iPad. 

Thank You Barnes & Noble for making my kids so happy, and my Christmas shopping so easy!!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@Ozman69,

The NOOK kids digital book collection spans all ages featuring the latest technology for our newest book lovers.

Also, we have the largest collection of popular children’s picture books and nearly 12,00 digital chapter books for kids.

Thanks for the info Michael.  The person below you noted that they were told that all of these books will still work on our current Nooks as well.  Just wanting to confirm if this is true as well.  I just want to make sure I'm understanding that on the current Nook they will work like a regular book but none of the other features will (such as the "Read to me" feature).  Thanks again.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Ozman69,

NOOK kids digital picture books are designed especially for NOOKcolor. They feature vivid color display and rely on touch-screen to enlarge text, zoom in & pan around illustration and require speakers for the Read to Me feature.  NOOK kids books can be read on NOOKcolor and coming soon on a NOOK kids app on the iPAD.

Inspired Contributor
ivondale
0 Kudos

So, I am now confused.  Let's take an example that I just made up.  Say Junie B. Jones book 1 is available with the enhanced features.  But I only have a standard Nook. Would I have the choice between a standard JBJ#1 and an enhanced JBJ#1 when I buy?  Would I buy the enhanced but it would have limited functionality on my classic Nook?  Or would I not be able to buy that book for my Nook at all (but could read it on my PC, for example).

Reader 4
clmullins
0 Kudos

I must say I'm just as confused as to this whole kids book thing. I want to be able to still get kids book on my nook classic to read to my kids but I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to go out and get a nook color just for kids books or placing a $250 piece of electronics into my kids hands when they have a hard enough time remembering to brush their teeth before bed and picking up their toys.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@ivondale,

NOOK kids digital picture books are designed especially for NOOKcolor

NOOK kids books can be read on NOOKcolor and coming soon on a NOOK kids app on the iPAD.

NOOKbooks for kids are available also for NOOK and can be found here:  http://bit.ly/cDtaf6

Correspondent
g0tr00t

Now if they only made a Nook Color for Kids....remove some of the Nook Color items and give it a reasonable price point and you have targetted a PRETTY good market of parents who do not want their kids to fall into the handheld gaming zombie category.