Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
PhotoNinja
0 Kudos

Elephant's Child

I love my Nook Color, but I am very disappointed in the Elephant's Child story that came with it. It has been one of my children's favorite stories and I was as excited as my dd to see it on the NC - and free. After two pages she stated that this is not the Elephant's Child and said to turn it off. She's correct. This is a poorly rewritten adaptation of the story and it lost what made it a classic. Why rewrite an excellent story and pass it off this way? My dc at 3 yo loved Kipling's story and were quoting it. I hesitate to buy other children's books for the NC. I don't want another butchered story. The original is good as written. Adding interactive features to it would have been wonderful. But this is very disappointing. It is not a good way to get me interesting in buying children's books for the NC.

Inspired Contributor
RoseBaby
0 Kudos

Re: Elephant's Child

I have run into this issue with many classic children's books.  If you're not carful you get a dumbed down version.  I have learned to look for additional authors besides the one who wrote the classic.  This book has another author besides Kipling, plus the illustrator.  I am very liberal in what I allow my kids to read but I don't allow adaptations, with an exception for Lamb's tales from Shakespeare which is a classic in its own right.

Reader 2
amaree
0 Kudos

Re: Elephant's Child

The copyright on Just So Stories is long since expired, so publishers/authors are free to adapt the material as they see fit.

I suspect is was altered because it is no longer politically correct to spank children, and in the original version the Elephant is spanked repeatedly.  The language is modern and abbreviated, and the wonderful poem at the end of the story is missing.

The good news is that since the copyright has expired, you can download the ebook of Just So Stories (the original) from the free section of the B&N Nook website, or from www.gutenberg.org.

You will be missing color illustrations and the "Read To Me" feature, but you can get the original easily on your Nook.

If you are looking for free Nook books for children with some color illustrations, note that the copyright has also expired on the Beatrix Potter books, and those are available for free as well.

Happy Reading!