Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
AilsaMaire

Free Fridays for young kids, please!

My 6 and 4 year olds love to read books on my Nook 1st generation. My 6 year old plays chess against the Nook when a grownup isn't available for a "live" game. Imagine how he'd love a touch screen! We're thinking of adding a color e-reader/tablet to the family soon, maybe for Christmas. 

I love Free Fridays - it's the first thing I check online on Friday morning! Please, please consider having a kids Free Fridays pick, something suitable for the 10 and under crowd. Everybody I talk to about the Nook gets that "I'm really interested" look when I tell them about Free Fridays. Imagine all the parents who would think that a Free Fridays kid pick makes Nook a better choice than, ahem, competitor products this holiday season! And, smart publishers want to get face time with future consumers!

Thanks for your consideration!

Correspondent
Strayer

Re: Free Fridays for young kids, please!

If they start a Free Fridays for kids, I would put my ebook on it.
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

Since B&N is not the one making the books free the publisher is (or so I think don't hold me to it) I think kiddy fridays are unlikely. But there are free kiddy books that pop up. The Book Discussion boards can help you with that. Next time I am on the computer I will post a link for you. Can't do so from my nook 1. Hope I helped a little.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I think you are right about the publisher making the book free. If a call went out to kid book writers, I would do so for Free Friday, but not make the book free all the time. I don't know if we will see this happen.
Reader 4
LovesBooksBX
0 Kudos

You can do a search for free books by typing in 0.00. There will be an option for children's books as well.

Reader 2
CRGehringer
0 Kudos

I would LOVE to see more kids books available for FREE or very little . . . .

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I would love to do this here at B&N. For Pubits, we can't sell a book for free. It would have to go through a distributor B&N Pubit would have to allow us to do a Free Friday. I don't know how much tech work would be involved with that. Pubits can change the price to $.99 for a day and then switch back to regular price. The problem is how to let people know. B&N would have to promote that. I wouldn't do any free over at Kindle. Only B&N. For major publishers, they'd have to give their consent. I have no idea how that works. .
New User
BooksNJ
0 Kudos

I couldn't agree more! B&N needs Free Fridays for Kids. My 9 & 10 year olds both have their own Nooks and feel like they are short changed because the free books are never appropriate for them. PLEASE start free fridays for kids. They are the people that need to read the most. This could be huge for B&N when parents are deciding betweeen a Nook or a Kindle. B&N don't miss this opportunity. A free book for kids weekly could really influence a parents purchase choice.

Reader 4
crgNY

IF not free how about daily find sections for teens and kids..... best way to get kids interested in reading don't you think.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

crgNY wrote:

IF not free how about daily find sections for teens and kids..... best way to get kids interested in reading don't you think.

There was a Daily Find for families up until a few months ago when it was replaced by a political Daily Find leading up to the election.  That's gone, but they haven't brought back the family find.