Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Les1017
0 Kudos

Need suggestions: Books for a 7 year old to read.

My 7 year old son LOVES to be read TO, and always has.  I could read him book after book and he would never get bored!  However, it is a struggle to get him to read himself.  While he is reading to me, I have to constantly keep him on task to concentrate.  I think he lacks the confidence in reading. 

To try something new I asked him if he wanted to read to me from my Nookcolor, if I could find him a book.  He was very excited about the idea.  The next night he read "Colors" to me and I didn't have to ask him once to pay attention.  He read thru the whole book and did great!  I want him to be comfortable reading all types of media, so I would like to mix it up.  Problem is, I can't find many nookbooks, and have looked for those on his recommended reading list.  Does anyone have any suggestions for books for his age?  He is reading at his age and grade (1st) level, but I want to help him advance his reading.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

Re: Need suggestions: Books for a 7 year old to read.

Splat the Cat (it's a series available on the NookColor and some have read to me, some do not.)  I saw this at work today and I liked it though I didn't get a chance to really read it.  Just flipped through a few pages.

What I might suggest even more is to have him help pick out the book.  Being actively involved in picking the book should make him more engaged in reading it as well.

Even if you pre-pick a few choices and then let him choose from those, I'd say that's better than just picking for him.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Frequent Contributor
Les1017
0 Kudos

Good idea!  We do have 3 Splat the Cat books and just read Love Splat the other night.  He really enjoys those!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Check out the website http://sweetonbooks.com/

They recommend books for children, have giveaways and are very user friendly.

Distinguished Correspondent
kc5455

Please, please try this website: Http://www.readkiddoread.com You will love it! (:
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
__Dr. Seuss
Correspondent
AlmH
0 Kudos

Hmm, maybe this one: 

SNOOPS, CLUES & BOOS 

eBooks by Alm Hlgh

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&ATH=Alm+Hlgh
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

check the website sweetonbooks.com for children's books. they rate and review the books for specific age groups. also, they have a book giveaway.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Les1017 wrote:

My 7 year old son LOVES to be read TO, and always has.  I could read him book after book and he would never get bored!  However, it is a struggle to get him to read himself.  While he is reading to me, I have to constantly keep him on task to concentrate.  I think he lacks the confidence in reading. 

To try something new I asked him if he wanted to read to me from my Nookcolor, if I could find him a book.  He was very excited about the idea.  The next night he read "Colors" to me and I didn't have to ask him once to pay attention.  He read thru the whole book and did great!  I want him to be comfortable reading all types of media, so I would like to mix it up.  Problem is, I can't find many nookbooks, and have looked for those on his recommended reading list.  Does anyone have any suggestions for books for his age?  He is reading at his age and grade (1st) level, but I want to help him advance his reading.

My son still loves the Magic Tree House series (which I BELIEVE are all NookBooks). He started reading them in first grade. To begin, we would switch back and forth - He would read all of the dialogue sections, I would read the other. As time went on, he would read one chapter, I would read the next. Pretty soon, he was able to keep his attention on the book. Sometimes, he has the same problem and he just finished third grade. I'll sit with him and switch back and forth; sometimes, I'm convinced he just doesn't want to spend the time "alone" and misses the interaction. One of the first books he got really excited about was 

The Chocolate Touch (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition)  

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Contributor
GioPago
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Snoops, Clues and Boos    paperback $12.99

SNOOPS, CLUES & BOOS   eBook $2.99  

A funny mystery bed time story for children between the ages of six and twelve years of age. Join Erick and his two little pint sized super snoop cousins, Marcus and Morris the Eve of Halloween night as they search for clues to debunk or prove the rumor that new tenant Dr. Hans Craver snatches little children to steal their hands and fingers to replace his hook hand. Together as things go bump and coo-coo throughout the night, the cousins have one scare after frightening scare as they try to solve the rumored mystery of what happened to Bobby and Sam. Did Dr. Carver really steal their hands for his own evil purposes? Or can you really believe in rumors?

This is a fun read-to-me book or it can be read alone.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

In my humble opinion, almost any book that will fire your son's imagination will help him enjoy reading.  I'm going to suggest some classics.  Since I don't own a Nook, I don't know which of these, if any, is available via Nook.

1.  He may be a little old for The Little Engine that Could, but he might still get a kick out of it.  Ditto for Curious George.

2.  Everything Dr. Seuss ever wrote, no exceptions.  What childhood could ever hope to be considered complete without knowing that you can read them from a book; you can read them via Nook?  [Insert loud groan here]   

3.  Winnie the Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner, When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six.  The last two are poetry, which will likely bore him to death now, but give him time.  For me, Pooh, Piglet and the rest of them are still living in that forest, and I have four dusty, 50+-year-old volumes that prove it!

4.  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.  These may be a little advanced for a seven-year-old, but think about it this way:  he can't get curious and open one someday if they're not lying around in plain sight (or at least visible on his Nook), and, after all, they're not bottles of poison labeled "Drink Me."

5.  And there are lots of other classics and not-so-classics he'll soon be old enough for if he isn't already:  Charlotte's Web, The Phantom Tollbooth, the first two Harry Potter books and about a zillion others I'll remember the names of the instant I hit "Post."

And let's face it:  with everything so heavily computerized these days -- and getting more so by the minute -- one of the biggest favors we can do our kids is to make reading material available to them.  They'll like some of it; they'll hate some of it; and in the process, with a little luck, they just might learn something!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff