Reader
Ravindra_D

Nook Kids for Android Tablets

I dont think Nook App on android supports Nook Kids books. Is there a special apps like one available for iPad?

If not then any idea is B&N is going to release one for Android users?

Contributor
laberday
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Kids for Android Tablets

I also want Nook Kids for Android. I have a first generation Nook and an Andriod tablet. I'm not buying another device. Besides, I wouldn't let my kids handle a $500 iPad. Android devices and users are quickly taking over the market. It seems irresponsible to ignore us.

New User
HenchmanNo21
0 Kudos

I recently ordered an Android tablet from Woot!, and think it would be great to be able to read Nook Kids books on the device. My almost-four-year-old is already using the tablet for matching games, letter and number apps, and viewing Oceanhouse Media books (they have a great, albeit limited, lineup of Dr. Seuss and Little Critter books, among others).

C'mon, Barnes and Noble, let me spend more money on your products -- don't leave those of us unable to sink $500+ into an iPad in the dust.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

HenchmanNo21 wrote:

I recently ordered an Android tablet from Woot!, and think it would be great to be able to read Nook Kids books on the device. My almost-four-year-old is already using the tablet for matching games, letter and number apps, and viewing Oceanhouse Media books (they have a great, albeit limited, lineup of Dr. Seuss and Little Critter books, among others).

C'mon, Barnes and Noble, let me spend more money on your products -- don't leave those of us unable to sink $500+ into an iPad in the dust.

while I agree with you that they should do the Nook Kids for Android, I would guess BN's response to the $500 for iPad would be that instead of an Android tablet you could have bought a Nookcolor and had all the Nook kids functionality and some of the Andoid for $250.

New User
Carlostheranger
0 Kudos

That's great that maybe they expect us to buy a $250 nook color but a.) I have a nook color that is rooted and I cannot access the kids books and b.) I would be even more upset that it wouldn't work if I had an even more expensive anrdroid tablet.

New User
WylieTV
0 Kudos

I would love to see this also. I have the Toshiba Thrive already.It would be great to use the books with my 2.5 and 1 yr old. I would even buy the app.

Inspired Contributor
jlg881
0 Kudos

I have the HTC Evo View 4G I would love to have an app for Nook Kids to use with my grandchildren. 

Contributor
laberday
0 Kudos

I guess this forum is unmoderated as no one from B*+&N has weighed in.

It's been almost a year since B&N released the iPad app and they already have an Android version because they are using it for their tablets. I'm very frustrated that they will not release the app to the market.

I would think there is more profit in the books than in the tablets. I would buy tons of books, but I will not buy a nook color or nook tablet because B&N only offers limited apps. The tablet does not have full access to the Android market. 

Reader 4
anodein82
0 Kudos

I am in the same boat with everyone else.  I have a first gen e-ink nook, and an Android Tablet that my husband bought for work and then never used because his office provided some.  So now, my 5 year old keeps wanting to read a book on the tablet.  A Nook Kids App, or addition to the Nook App of Android would be wonderful.  That way we could read books together.  Seriously, BN needs to think about this.

Contributor
laberday
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

HenchmanNo21 wrote:

while I agree with you that they should do the Nook Kids for Android, I would guess BN's response to the $500 for iPad would be that instead of an Android tablet you could have bought a Nookcolor and had all the Nook kids functionality and some of the Andoid for $250.

"...some of the Android" is the key there. I have a REAL Android tablet that can access the Android market and run any Androind applications I choose including those not offered by the market. The Nook Tablet only offers apps Barnes and Noble feels are worthwhile. 

Contributor
docsol

Well I have a Google Nexus 7 as well as an original Nook.  It is time for them to make the Kids Book App for Android!

New User
WantNookKidsAppAndroid
0 Kudos

I'm betting that everyone that has read this thread would even pay for the app. I'm thinking $4.99 to get the Nook Kids App for Android and that open a whole new revenue stream to B&N. The problem is it doesn't seem that any of the admins are reading this thread or are not allowed to comment on such an app as that would create a competitor to the Nook HD and HD+. The problem lies in the fact that in a strapped economy most of us that have devices already don't want to spend over $100 for a device just for our kids to use.

I beg B&N to finally release the app for android. Why give it to apple users and not android also?

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor
Davan

My thinking here is since there are so many different flavors of Android and that each Manufacturer adds its own code to the base, trying to make an app that works on every version of Android with all of that extra code and skinning would be a nightmare. Even if they were to develop it for only one manufacturer or flavor of Android it would get broken as soon as an update comes out from either Google or the Manufacturer.
New User
WantNookKidsAppAndroid
0 Kudos

I guess my assumption was that if they can make a Nook app for Android they should be able to port over a Nook KIDS app also. Just haven't seen any B&N techs talk about a reason why they wouldn't.

Your answer does sound logical as I understand that there are many forms of Android platforms out there (the one problem with a platform such as this) but I'm sure there is a basic logic under it that they can work with.

I'm not a programmer so I'm not able to trully say yes or no on if it is possible.

New User
Mr_Armageddon
0 Kudos

This is pretty ridiculous. The iPad has had the Nook Kids app for almost 2 years, yet still no Android version even though the Nook devices are Android based. I have an Asus Transformer Prime and a Nexus 7. Since B&N deems it wise to not release an Android version of Nook Kids, I have had to purchase over 40 interactive kid books from OceanHouse Media (Little Critter, Dr Seuss) and Loud Crow Interactive from the Google Play Market. That is money I would have spent on B&N had the app been available. Hopefully they wise up soon and release an Android tablet version. Until then I will keep buying kid books directly from the Google Play Market, cutting B&N out of this piece of financial pie.
New User
Straightline
0 Kudos

This is a little unacceptable.  I've got a lot of kids books, and we spent probably $20/month on them.  Our Nook broke and we're thinking of getting a different tablet, but can't afford an iPad.  I have known of other apps that are only for iPad and the specific reason is that there are too many Android tablets to accomodate.  Each different resolution requires it's own app modification. 

Still... this is Barnes and Noble, not some small new book company.  Maybe because Borders is gone, they can afford to be lazy.  This makes me definitely not want to buy another Nook though... i hate being forced to buy something to use something I already own.  And now I kinda feel I was tricked into buying the kids books. 

I'm going to check around the internet to see if there's a way around this... via rooting etc.