Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
SuperFlyMommy
0 Kudos

NookColor and purchasing on device for kids

I am considering getting my 10 yr old a Nookcolor for Christmas. However, my major concern is that he will go nuts searching and purchasing ebooks on my CC. Does BN have any measures/parental controls to prevent such behavior if the kid is the owner of the Nook?

Am I still required to provide a CC if I have a gift card with a sufficient amount to cover the purchase? Ideally, I would like to save a gift card to my child's Nook account and keep refilling it to prevent throwing my own finances out of whack!

Help please!

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor and purchasing on device for kids

NOOKcolor provides a way of requiring a password in order to complete a purchase.  This may work for you.  It requires that the password for the bn.com account be entered for every purchase.

Go to Settings | Shop and then check the box for "Require Password for Purchases".

Hope this helps,

-Jeffrey

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, you do have to have a cc on file to purchase ebooks from BN.  That's how they generate encryption (the cc number does not stay in the file, but as I understand it the encryption system generates a key based on your cc number).  I am considering a nook for my 10-yo as well, and have read a lot on these boards about different approaches to the purchasing concern.  The password requirement sounds like a good step -- I hope it comes in the v1.5 update for the nook classic.  I have also read that some people get their kid a debit card (or a prepaid credit card) to limit the potential liability.  I understand that BN only accepts certain types of cards, so I need to look into this further, but I am considering it for my son.  There are some fees associated with these cards, but they may be worth it.

You should check out some of the threads in the main nook/nc board that discuss this issue (which really is not related to the BN NookKids program).  Perhaps a mod will move this thread so you get more helpful replies..

Nook_Engineer

1.5 for the original NOOK will add password protection to Shop purchases.

-Jeffrey

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

Thanks, Jeffrey -- that's good news. 

Can you move this thread so the OP has a better chance of getting helpful answers?

Reader 2
highland_dad
0 Kudos

I bought a nook (and then immediately upgraded to the nookcolor) to encourage my 9-yo's excitement for books.  however, i am concerned that there are no parental controls for the internet.  I want to encourage my kids to use the nook, and we have discussed internet use with the kids; however, there should be controls on the nook so that we can help protect them.  When will parental controls be available?

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

parental control are currently available.  They are called 'YOU'.  Monitor your spawn.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Reader
jwdriggs
0 Kudos

@Globaitech what a mature answer.

I agree that there should be parental controls on the Nook for the internet access.  Even if you are careful what are you going to do look over the kids shoulder every second he or she has the Nook?  IOS devices have these features and as far as I'm concerned every device that has internet access should

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

/cackle

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Just "forget" your network. No Wifi means no internet.

New User
rlb83
0 Kudos

Has anyone found a better approach to this concern?  We tried the prepaid visa and it would not accept it.  Called help desk and they said it is not possbile to use one.  The password is the same as the one for the bn.com account.  She paid for the device, I don't mind if she browses, etc. within her account. I just want to restrict the final purchase.  Really don't like putting my credit card on the account.

New User
scontr1
0 Kudos

From my experience, anyone who says others need to monitor their kids better either has no kids or their kids are moved away to college.

Nook Color NEEDS a way for parents to make the internet browser password protected. My 17 year old thinks its fun to check his Facebook on his little brother's NC and show him new gaming sites.

The whole reason for getting my 9yr old a NC was to leave him reading, unmonitored. Go back to hard copy?

Correspondent
Ryan_
0 Kudos

I haven't played around with looking for parental controls on the Nook Color but is it possible to load a B&N gift card on it? That way there isn't a CC on file to be charged?

Developer at Toy Studio - Developer of Nook Apps
=========================================
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Ryan_ wrote:

I haven't played around with looking for parental controls on the Nook Color but is it possible to load a B&N gift card on it? That way there isn't a CC on file to be charged?

You can load a B&N gift card for purchases, but you still have to have a default credit card attached to the account for ebook DRM encryption purposes.  Without one, you will not be able to download the books.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I have dealt with kids and the internet as a tech. It is impossible to keep them from sites that are nasty.

There is a kid browser, but only little ones would like it.

I tried to put controls on Internet Explorer and couln't get into my email.

On MAC, the end users could hardly use the internet.

Even with filters, severe violence can be viewed.

I couldn't protect my end users on the internet. It was upsetting.

I don't know how this could be solved.
It is a serious concern.

Inspired Contributor
to-read-is-to-live
0 Kudos

scontr1 wrote:

From my experience, anyone who says others need to monitor their kids better either has no kids or their kids are moved away to college.

Nook Color NEEDS a way for parents to make the internet browser password protected. My 17 year old thinks its fun to check his Facebook on his little brother's NC and show him new gaming sites.

The whole reason for getting my 9yr old a NC was to leave him reading, unmonitored. Go back to hard copy?

Hmmm....  for reading only the simple touch is the way to go.